Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepper mill

Peter A > wrote in

> Nay, getteth thee thou a Magnum Pepper Mill, made by Unicorn
> (www.unicornmills.com). It was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated
> and a couple of years ago I bought one for myself and several
> for gifts. It grinds from fine to coarse, holds a lot, rarely
> needs adjustment, and grinds fast - a good thing when you want
> to coat 4 steaks with a layer of pepper. The people I gave
> them to all love it.

Looks GREAT!

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> penmart wrote:
>
> > Nothing is modified, they grind coffee beans and peppercorns equally
> > well.

> Atlas modified them by removing the traditional container cup and
> putting on a bell shaped ring so they would stand upright without the
> cup. These were the first to hit the general market back when Jeff
> the Perv started mentioning them on his cooking show. The cheapest
> model available was $75.

The one I have for many years and recommened from Chef's Catalog is I
think $55, about ten years ago I paid think $65.

> > You exaggerate... the biggest Turkish grinders are about $55.

> I didn't elaborate, but one can find them now for even less. I have
> one I paid only $39 for. Good burrs, but it does not have a threaded
> grind adjustment, using instead a difficult and imprecise slide
> adjustment held by a hex head set screw.

Mine has a threaded grind adjustment, very easy to set and holds the
setting indefinitely

> It also has no table stand
> ring. You want niceties, you pay for them.

The ones I suggested do have the stand ring, but the big brass one
doesn't need one, with it's larger diameter it stands very well as
is... and holds more than a cup of peppercorns.

I own quite a few different pepper mills, none are as good as the big
brass one... not even close. Once anyone uses this one they will never
consider another pepper mill again.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I also have a pre-filled McCormick Pepper grinder. I bought it a year
ago, and have been so frugal that I still have it, and it works. I was
afraid that they would either discontinue the product, or that I would
win the lotto and spend it all on a serious grinder. I'm going to
score a couple more of those disposables. The lotto is a little slow
in being won.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:
>I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
>problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
>since then should be called pepper crackers.

I got a couple of Peugeots at SLT when they landed on
the clearance shelf. Slightly scratched, but hey; they're
for grinding pepper. I never go for a very fine grind, but
just by adjusting the tension on the top screw I can get
semi-coarse to cracked.

So now that I have a spare, what does someone invent but an
electric mill that activates when you tip it upside-down.

No buttons. Just invert. Brilliant. Wish I was
collecting the royalties...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> I've been pretty happy with Penzey's Zassen-whatsis except that I have
> the bigger one and it still needs to be filled quite often. I guess
> that means we use more pepper than average.

I have that one, too, and I'm happy with it except I find it diffcult
to fill. No matter how I pour the peppercorns in, some of them escape
and go bouncing all over my kitchen. Whatamess!

Leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello,

I got one of the McCormick sea salt grinders on sale, when it ran out
I got it apart. It snaps together, very tightly, the way you get it
apart,
is to pull on the top and also on the glass container, VERY HARD,
Watch out!! and most times, it will come apart. The pepper grinders
look to put together the same way.

Fred

Puester wrote:
<SNIP>

> > So, today I bought one of those pepper grinders.
> > Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> > does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustable, ones
> > I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.
> >

> I have one of those, too, and it works great. I haven't figured out how
> to removed the cover to refill it. (No screw threads on it.)
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> So now that I have a spare, what does someone invent but an
> electric mill that activates when you tip it upside-down.
>
> No buttons. Just invert. Brilliant. Wish I was
> collecting the royalties...

I bought one of those disposable mills for camping. Worked great, but I
decided to replace it this year since it was pretty old. They were buy
one get one free! I gave one to my daughter.

Problem is, they also need to be inverted, since the grinder is at the
top. The one I discarded was almost half full, and most of the
remainder was only half a peppercorn. Every time you invert, you mix
the half-ground corns with the unground ones.

I have two Zassenhaus mills from Penzeys. I bought the little one,
because I thought the pepper would stay fresher. I just had to refill
it too often. I bought the larger one, and now use the smaller one for
white pepper.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:
>I bought one of those disposable mills for camping. Worked great, but I
>decided to replace it this year since it was pretty old. They were buy
>one get one free! I gave one to my daughter.
>
>Problem is, they also need to be inverted, since the grinder is at the
>top. The one I discarded was almost half full, and most of the
>remainder was only half a peppercorn. Every time you invert, you mix
>the half-ground corns with the unground ones.

So, um, what forces you to vert it after the first time
you in-vert it?

>I have two Zassenhaus mills from Penzeys. I bought the little one,
>because I thought the pepper would stay fresher. I just had to refill
>it too often. I bought the larger one, and now use the smaller one for
>white pepper.

I saw those. Ridiculously expensive. I would never have
gone near the Peugeots if they weren't marked down from $30
to $9. For all other spices, I have a mortar and pestle.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 15 Sep 2006 07:55:26p, Blair P. Houghton meant to say...

> Dan Abel > wrote:
>>I bought one of those disposable mills for camping. Worked great, but I
>>decided to replace it this year since it was pretty old. They were buy
>>one get one free! I gave one to my daughter.
>>
>>Problem is, they also need to be inverted, since the grinder is at the
>>top. The one I discarded was almost half full, and most of the
>>remainder was only half a peppercorn. Every time you invert, you mix
>>the half-ground corns with the unground ones.

> So, um, what forces you to vert it after the first time
> you in-vert it?
>
>>I have two Zassenhaus mills from Penzeys. I bought the little one,
>>because I thought the pepper would stay fresher. I just had to refill
>>it too often. I bought the larger one, and now use the smaller one for
>>white pepper.

> I saw those. Ridiculously expensive. I would never have
> gone near the Peugeots if they weren't marked down from $30
> to $9. For all other spices, I have a mortar and pestle.

I bought a Peugeot and a Perfex at Bridge Kitchenware back in the 1970s
when there were rather few sources for really good products. I don't
recall what I paid, but they weren't cheap. They both still work like new,
and I've never regretted the cost.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Is it ok to use my AM radio after NOON?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> Dan Abel > wrote:
> >I bought one of those disposable mills for camping. Worked great, but I
> >decided to replace it this year since it was pretty old. They were buy
> >one get one free! I gave one to my daughter.
> >
> >Problem is, they also need to be inverted, since the grinder is at the
> >top. The one I discarded was almost half full, and most of the
> >remainder was only half a peppercorn. Every time you invert, you mix
> >the half-ground corns with the unground ones.

> So, um, what forces you to vert it after the first time
> you in-vert it?

So it won't fall over?

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:
>In article >,
> Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>> Dan Abel > wrote:
>> >I bought one of those disposable mills for camping. Worked great, but I
>> >decided to replace it this year since it was pretty old. They were buy
>> >one get one free! I gave one to my daughter.
>> >
>> >Problem is, they also need to be inverted, since the grinder is at the
>> >top. The one I discarded was almost half full, and most of the
>> >remainder was only half a peppercorn. Every time you invert, you mix
>> >the half-ground corns with the unground ones.

>> So, um, what forces you to vert it after the first time
>> you in-vert it?

>So it won't fall over?

In your backpack?

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>Dan Abel > wrote:

>>I bought one of those disposable mills for camping. Worked great, but I
>>decided to replace it this year since it was pretty old. They were buy
>>one get one free! I gave one to my daughter.

>>Problem is, they also need to be inverted, since the grinder is at the
>>top. The one I discarded was almost half full, and most of the
>>remainder was only half a peppercorn. Every time you invert, you mix
>>the half-ground corns with the unground ones.

>So, um, what forces you to vert it after the first time
>you in-vert it?

Snapping the snap-on lid back on.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> Dan Abel > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> >> So, um, what forces you to vert it after the first time
> >> you in-vert it?

> >So it won't fall over?

> In your backpack?

On the picnic table in my campsite (I'm a car camper).

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> Problem is, they also need to be inverted, since the grinder is
> at the top. The one I discarded was almost half full, and most
> of the remainder was only half a peppercorn. Every time you
> invert, you mix the half-ground corns with the unground ones.

The solution is to shake it a few times before you
start grinding. That way, the half-ground corns
work their way to the bottom and come out first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> The solution is to shake it a few times before you start grinding.

Now tell me something I don't already know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> if you ever have the opportunity to buy one from Ikea: II can recommend
> theirs. The inside frinding things is made from ceramic and works like a
> charm. Cheap, too. Next time I'm at Ikea, I'll get a few extra mills, for
> serveral spices that I'd like to grind.

I bought one of those maybe five years ago and it still works perfectly
and holds the original adjustment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

How on earth could you have so much trouble? I have several
(inexpensive) pepper mills from the clear plastic bubble with black
rabbit ears to a 25 year old model that adjusts the grind. None, and
I mean NOT ONE does such a coarse crack. Perhaps your idea of fine is
different from mine. Do you have a Target or Macy's in your area?
Have you tried there? I can't justify spending more than $20 for a
fancy grinder I'd use on the dining room table.

````````````````````````````````````````````

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:14:23 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
>problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
>since then should be called pepper crackers.
>
>I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
>thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.
>
>It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
>be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
>what to get when I feel like tackling that again.
>
>So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
>Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
>does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
>I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.
>
>nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:
>In article >,
> Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>> Dan Abel > wrote:

>> >So it won't fall over?

>> In your backpack?

>On the picnic table in my campsite (I'm a car camper).

They're as flat on top as on the bottom.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> They're as flat on top as on the bottom.

Only in the sense that neither end is perfectly flat.
The bottom is concave, and will stand on any
somewhat flat and level surface. The top is convex,
and it will stand (at a slight angle) on a very
flat and level surface. On a picnic table, it
could easily fall over. (Note that I checked
my facts with an actual unit of the type in question
before writing this reply.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 03:07:01 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

<chat and attributions snipped>

>>> In your backpack?

>>On the picnic table in my campsite (I'm a car camper).

>They're as flat on top as on the bottom.

The disposable mills I'm aware of have a removable top that is
slightly rounded, but there is no law saying you can't take the top
off and set it "upside down" after the first use. If looking at a
label upside down is bothersome, take it off. The mills I'm thinking
of are clear plastic, so it's easy enough to tell the salt from the
pepper with out any labels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:
>"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
>>
>> They're as flat on top as on the bottom.

>Only in the sense that neither end is perfectly flat.
>The bottom is concave, and will stand on any
>somewhat flat and level surface. The top is convex,
>and it will stand (at a slight angle) on a very
>flat and level surface. On a picnic table, it
>could easily fall over. (Note that I checked
>my facts with an actual unit of the type in question
>before writing this reply.)

All the ones I've seen are flat on top.

--Blair

how to refill the pepper section of an olde thompson acrylicsaltshaker / pepper mill Camp Stove General Cooking 1 28-07-2016 03:08 AM
Love my pepper mill! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 82 20-12-2012 04:16 PM
New pepper mill! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 91 29-10-2012 08:37 PM
Pepper Mill Battle Brick Barbecue 0 15-01-2005 03:05 PM
Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when? h Cooking Equipment 11 08-02-2004 04:25 AM