Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taste Test

Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
good?

Who here has tried it and liked it?

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
28.19...
> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to
> be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible
> taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?

Good question. They don't have it here, so I can't comment.

I do think it is perfectly legit to use "substitutes" for health reasons. Or
calorie reasons (more lcalories left o spend on ohter things, at that).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> 28.19...
> > Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to
> > be
> > vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible
> > taste
> > good?
> >
> > Who here has tried it and liked it?
> >

> Good question. They don't have it here, so I can't comment.
>
> I do think it is perfectly legit to use "substitutes" for health reasons. Or
> calorie reasons (more lcalories left o spend on ohter things, at that).

I've had it in coffee- it's not bad for that use, but have you read the
list of ingredients yet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Couldn't tell you. I don't use a lot of cream and the things I use it
for, like creme brulee, I would never even think about trying a
substitute in.

The fat free sour cream products are fairly decent from the ones I've
tried though I normally use the real thing there as well.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?

My friend of the black bean brownie recipe raved about it. I tried it.
BLECH! Sure it's fat free but reading the label it contains a hefty
amount of high fructose corn syrup. If you use it in a recipe you might
want to adjust the sugar.

I don't my low fat dairy products - cheese, sour cream and such. But
fat free is generally not so good.

marcella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Marcella Peek > said:
> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> > vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible
> > taste good?
> >
> > Who here has tried it and liked it?

> My friend of the black bean brownie recipe raved about it. I tried it.
> BLECH! Sure it's fat free but reading the label it contains a hefty
> amount of high fructose corn syrup. If you use it in a recipe you might
> want to adjust the sugar.

Ah, so that's the trick. Personally, I'd rather have the fat than the
extra sugar carbs. But I'm looking at it from a diabetic's POV...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?

Tried it in coffee; didn't like it. Threw the rest away.

gloria p
The Wasteful
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> > vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> > good?
> >
> > Who here has tried it and liked it?

> Low fat milk is BAD enough!

I LOVE skim milk; can't stand the taste of regular milk. I'm not above
liking whipped cream, but that's another topic. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?

Low fat milk is BAD enough!

Music, Recipes, Photos, and mo

http://www.sequoiagrove.dk

"You don´t frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, sons
of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur-king, you and
all your silly English kaniggets. Thppppt!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>>> Who here has tried it and liked it?

>> Low fat milk is BAD enough!

> I LOVE skim milk; can't stand the taste of regular milk. I'm not above
> liking whipped cream, but that's another topic. ;-)

To me it tsates like "valle", the by-product you get, when you make
cheese (from boiled whole milk and some kind of acid such as lemon).

Music, Recipes, Photos, and mo

http://www.sequoiagrove.dk

"You don´t frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, sons
of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur-king, you and
all your silly English kaniggets. Thppppt!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to
> be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible
> taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?

The very phrase "fat-free half and half" makes me laugh out loud. Whilst
shuddering.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"merryb" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...

> Jke wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> 28.19...
>> > Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it
>> > be
>> > vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible
>> > taste
>> > good?
>> >
>> > Who here has tried it and liked it?
>> >

>> Good question. They don't have it here, so I can't comment.
>>
>> I do think it is perfectly legit to use "substitutes" for health reasons.
>> Or
>> calorie reasons (more lcalories left o spend on ohter things, at that).

> I've had it in coffee- it's not bad for that use, but have you read the
> list of ingredients yet?

No, because they don't have it here Let me take a guess: milk in some
version, extra milk protein, milk sugar, some binding agent and inuline?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" > schreef in
bericht ...
>>> Low fat milk is BAD enough!

>> I LOVE skim milk; can't stand the taste of regular milk. I'm not above
>> liking whipped cream, but that's another topic. ;-)

> To me it tsates like "valle", the by-product you get, when you make cheese
> (from boiled whole milk and some kind of acid such as lemon).

The English name is whey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've had it in coffee/tea and it was OK.

I also used it in a soup and it was just fair.

So I guess it depends on what you use it for - it could be limited.

Kris

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2006 16:38:32 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
>> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
>> good?
>>
>> Who here has tried it and liked it?

> I haven't seen or tried it, but it sure *sounds* vile. I probably
> don't want to know what the two halves are.
>
> -sw

Half water, half chemicals?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?

FWIW, my wife used to like half and half. In the days when our dollar was doing
much better against the US dollar I used to do a little cross border shopping to
stock up on things that were much cheaper in the US than in Canada. Dairy
products were at the top of the list. Butter and half and half were about 1/3 as
much there as they were here. I was not impressed with the butter. I don't use
cream, but my wife thought the American half and half was vile, and she didn't
know where it was from. My list of things to buy across the river got so small
that it wasn't worth the bridge fare and the extra time. It was down to Frank's
Hot Sauce, Danish Blue Cheese and Grape Nuts. The Grape Nuts weren't that much
cheaper, but the Canadian version changed the recipe and it wasn't as good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On 13 Sep 2006 16:38:32 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> >> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> >> good?
> >>
> >> Who here has tried it and liked it?

> > I haven't seen or tried it, but it sure *sounds* vile. I probably
> > don't want to know what the two halves are.
> >
> > -sw

> Half water, half chemicals?
>
> gloria p

Wouldn't that cover the composition of real half and half as well?

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?

I use it all the time.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

BBQ sauce taste test Shalako General Cooking 5 11-09-2015 05:38 PM
BBQ sauce taste test Shalako Barbecue 1 09-09-2015 11:36 PM
Eggland's Best taste test: Kalmia General Cooking 39 26-06-2015 11:29 PM
Taste test: pasta Kalmia General Cooking 38 05-11-2012 01:02 AM
Coke Taste Test Dan Abel General Cooking 12 20-11-2009 11:00 AM