Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cookin' all afternoon - yummy Indian dishes

Had an enjoyable few hours in the kitcken by myself cooking up an
Indian storm! This is for a dinner for 6 tomorrow evening. Had a
request from a prospective guest for a dahl of some kind.
Now there are zillions of recipes for dahl so I spent a pleasant half
hour going through my books ( gave the internet a rest today), oh not
true, I see I had printed this recipe off the International Vegetarian
Union (IVU) website [who ever gave us that link hey? One of you, fess
up?]
The recipe is "Spinach Dal Andra Pradesh Style". Basically red lentils
cooked down with sauted red onion, garlic, spices, green chillies and
tomato added to a soupy consistency. Before serving I shall reheat and
add 2 cups of fresh spinach leaves, nutmet and cilantro.
>From "The Food of India" recipes by the chefs of The Oberoi Group book,

I made Parsi Chicken Curry which has a spicy tomato based sauce
finished with some dried apricots. Reheat and add a couple of
tablespoons of cream, garum masala and fresh herbs.
Finally, an old favourite of mine, Pork Padre Curry from Charmaine
Solomon's book. This one is coconut milk based with lemon rind, spices,
whisky and fresh curry leaves. A subtle dish to imbibe some whisky (or
arrack)!

The 'banquet' will be served with a rice dish and cucumber raita and my
DH's own peach chutney. Maybe some papadoms or purchased Indian bread
on the side.
A guest is bringing fresh strawberries for 'afters.

Cheers
Bronnie Maharani
Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bronwyn" > wrote in news:1158127165.274404.301580
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Finally, an old favourite of mine, Pork Padre Curry from Charmaine
> Solomon's book. This one is coconut milk based with lemon rind,

spices,
> whisky and fresh curry leaves. A subtle dish to imbibe some whisky (or
> arrack)!

Uh ohhhhhhhhh!! Arrack is like Bundy. It makes sparrows fight emu's!!

> The 'banquet' will be served with a rice dish and cucumber raita and

my
> DH's own peach chutney. Maybe some papadoms or purchased Indian bread
> on the side.

Try the Garlic Roti you can buy in the supermarket. The one where you
have to heat the individual roti's in a frypan with some butter. Very
nice :-)

> A guest is bringing fresh strawberries for 'afters.

I'll bring my famous Zesty Lime Tart if you like ;-)

We had Red Chicken Curry last night...... nice and spicy on a very cool
night.

I've taken to mixing brown rice in with whatever white rice I have
(usually Jasmine or Basmati) and cooking it in the microwave. It lends a
nice crunch to the side dish.

I'm off to a P&C meeting tonight, so's it looks like I'll have to throw
something together when I get home at whatever Godforsaken hour they
finish!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

[snip]

-
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> 'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran

Thanks Peter. I'll try to get the garlic roti at the super. DH and I
went to the film preview of "AnInconvenientTruth" tonight - very
enlightening. Home at 9.30pm and had a small bowl of the Parsi Chicken
which I had allowed for. Really really delicious. Always nice to try a
new recipe. I'll post it here when I get a chance.
We should arrange a meet up with you and yours one night - maybe at a
Thai restaurant in Springwood - kindahalfway to the Coast - with a view
to a future cook-up if we enjoy ourselves

Bronwyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bronwyn" > wrote in news:1158148062.193854.273340
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> PeterL wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Try the Garlic Roti you can buy in the supermarket. The one where you

> -

> Thanks Peter. I'll try to get the garlic roti at the super. DH and I
> went to the film preview of "AnInconvenientTruth" tonight - very
> enlightening.

Lucky you!! The P&C meeting was an enlightenment all in itself!!

> We should arrange a meet up with you and yours one night - maybe at a
> Thai restaurant in Springwood - kindahalfway to the Coast - with a >

view

Sounds like a plan, Stan.

> to a future cook-up if we enjoy ourselves

Unless you're a Godbothering vegetarian extremist animal rights nutter,
we'll be fine :-)

(The sign on Peter's soon to arrive new doormat........ 'Only the finest
vintage Red wines are served here. Did you bring any?')

Send email to skyscum at earthling dot net and we'll get the ball
rolling. Maybe LadyJane can join in too?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL > wrote in news:Xns983DEA5E6C4899999999@
218.100.0.53:

> Send email to skyscum at earthling dot net and we'll get the ball
> rolling. Maybe LadyJane can join in too?

Just remembered, LadyJane is over on Straddie..... getting a very wet bum
and that blown about hairstyle now and then :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bronwyn wrote:
> Had an enjoyable few hours in the kitcken by myself cooking up an
> Indian storm! This is for a dinner for 6 tomorrow evening.

> The recipe is "Spinach Dal Andra Pradesh Style".

>>From "The Food of India" recipes by the chefs of The Oberoi Group book,

> I made Parsi Chicken Curry which has a spicy tomato based sauce
> finished with some dried apricots. Reheat and add a couple of
> tablespoons of cream, garum masala and fresh herbs.
> Finally, an old favourite of mine, Pork Padre Curry from Charmaine
> Solomon's book. This one is coconut milk based with lemon rind, spices,
> whisky and fresh curry leaves. A subtle dish to imbibe some whisky (or
> arrack)!

At what time shall I arrive? (It sounds wonderful.)

;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am trying to consolidate all North Indian special recipes (like
GUJHIA, Samosa, Sandesa, Bhel poori etc.). Please visit my BLOG for
step by step description with photos:

Indian Recipes with pictures http://rasoiya.blogspot.com/

My aim is to consolidate all indian vegetable dishes.

Currently available recipes: (Daily 3-4 recipes. Send your requests
also.)

Aloo Jeera Jhatpat (Bachelors special)
Aloo Mutter
Aloo Paratha
Aloo Tikki
Balu Shahi
Begun Bhaja
Besan Burfi
BHATURE
Chatpata Bhel
Chole
Corn Chat
Crunchy Coconut cookies
Dal Makhani
DAL POORI (Poori Stuffed with DAL)
Gajar Halwa
Gobi Paratha
Gujhia
Imarti
Jeera Rice
Kadhai Chicken Masala
Kadhai Paneer
Kalakand
KHEER
Makhane ki Kheer
Mughlai Paratha
Mutter Paneer
Naan
NAMAK PAARA (KHURMA)
Navratan Korma
Pakoda
Palak Paneer
Paneer Capsicum
Paneer Pakoda
Papad Ki Sabji (Aaloo PAPAD DUM)
PAV BHAJI
POHA
Peas Pulao
Peas Puri
Rasogulla
Rava Halwa
Samosa
Samosa Chat
Sevian
Shahi Paneer
Sondesh
Sweet Kachori

More Indian recipes on Navratri & Dussehra Special
http://rasoiya.blogspot.com/

Comments and suggestions are welcome
Use the SHOUTBOX on site to leave your requests & suggestions.
Thank you.
http://rasoiya.blogspot.com/