FoodBanter.com

-   -   Frozen berries in baking (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/101076-frozen-berries-baking.html)

TammyM[_1_] 13-09-2006 12:15 AM

Frozen berries in baking

Never used 'em before. I'm thinking of making a chocolate raspberry
cake with white choc chips. I have frozen rasps. Should I thaw them
first? Use them unthawed au naturel? Unthawed with a coating of
flour (or cocoa)? What's your experience?

TammyM

Lili 13-09-2006 12:21 AM

Frozen berries in baking

In my experience I have always thawed berries first and then added them to
the recipe - made a lovely blueberry crumble slice last week and was
delicious!
:)

Jed[_1_] 13-09-2006 12:25 AM

Frozen berries in baking

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:15:37 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>Never used 'em before. I'm thinking of making a chocolate raspberry
>cake with white choc chips. I have frozen rasps. Should I thaw them
>first? Use them unthawed au naturel? Unthawed with a coating of
>flour (or cocoa)? What's your experience?

The tip I seem to often see on the cooking shows is to toss them in
cornstarch or in cornstarch with a bit of granulated sugar. That's
supposed to limit the juice bleeding into the cake or pastry.

Melba's Jammin' 13-09-2006 03:08 AM

Frozen berries in baking

In article >,
(TammyM) wrote:

> Never used 'em before. I'm thinking of making a chocolate raspberry
> cake with white choc chips. I have frozen rasps. Should I thaw them
> first? Use them unthawed au naturel? Unthawed with a coating of
> flour (or cocoa)? What's your experience?
>
> TammyM

I make my White Chocolate-Raspberry Muffins with frozen berries.
Thawed, they're mush before they get to the batter.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

TammyM[_1_] 13-09-2006 03:31 AM

Frozen berries in baking

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:08:51 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> (TammyM) wrote:
>
>> Never used 'em before. I'm thinking of making a chocolate raspberry
>> cake with white choc chips. I have frozen rasps. Should I thaw them
>> first? Use them unthawed au naturel? Unthawed with a coating of
>> flour (or cocoa)? What's your experience?
>>
>> TammyM

>I make my White Chocolate-Raspberry Muffins with frozen berries.
>Thawed, they're mush before they get to the batter.

Dot's vat I hoped! Good answer :-)

TammyM

pfoley 13-09-2006 01:02 PM

Frozen berries in baking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> Never used 'em before. I'm thinking of making a chocolate raspberry
> cake with white choc chips. I have frozen rasps. Should I thaw them
> first? Use them unthawed au naturel? Unthawed with a coating of
> flour (or cocoa)? What's your experience?
>
> TammyM

I just toss in frozen blueberries into muffins and they work fine that way.
Just did it yesterday.

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-09-2006 01:50 PM

Frozen berries in baking

TammyM wrote:

> Never used 'em before. I'm thinking of making a chocolate raspberry
> cake with white choc chips. I have frozen rasps. Should I thaw them
> first? Use them unthawed au naturel? Unthawed with a coating of
> flour (or cocoa)? What's your experience?

I get frozen cherries from a local cherry farm/processor. I tried pies
with cherries that had been thawed but found I got better results by
precooking the filling.

TammyM[_1_] 16-09-2006 06:02 PM

Frozen berries in baking

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:15:37 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>Never used 'em before. I'm thinking of making a chocolate raspberry
>cake with white choc chips. I have frozen rasps. Should I thaw them
>first? Use them unthawed au naturel? Unthawed with a coating of
>flour (or cocoa)? What's your experience?
>
>TammyM

Well I tried it -- frozen raspberries in chocolate cake along with a
handful or so of choc chips. I didn't get to taste it, I sent it to
work with my housemate. She said it was good, but the raspberry seeds
got all crunchy which was a bit off-putting for people. I said "did
you tell them I don't generally put ground glass in my baked goods?"

I don't think I'll be doing it again.

TammyM

Eileen 17-09-2006 02:44 AM

Frozen berries in baking

I would thaw and drain them first so not too much liquid gets into the
batter and they dont get mushy. Sounds great if I lived near you Id invite
myself