Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shredded chicken salad

I overdid it and ended up with way more shredded chicken than I know
what to do with. To make matters worse, my original plan was to make
green chile chicken enchiladas but we went out for Mexican last night
and there are certain members of the family (not me!) who would not be
enthusiastic about Mexican two days in a row. So now I have to figure
out what to do with a ton of this stuff.

Anybody have any good, maybe unusual, ideas for shredded chicken salad?
I've done Chinese chicken salad before, but due to a recent move I
don't have a full pantry at the moment (e.g., no sesame oil, no rice
wine vinegar). I do have mayo but I usually like to put something sweet
like grapes in the salad and all I have are apples. Would they work?
Had pecans but I ate all those over the weekend. I do have Spanish
peanuts. :-)

I know, I know, I need to go to the store....

Scooter

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scooter wrote:
> I overdid it and ended up with way more shredded chicken than I know
> what to do with. To make matters worse, my original plan was to make
> green chile chicken enchiladas but we went out for Mexican last night
> and there are certain members of the family (not me!) who would not be
> enthusiastic about Mexican two days in a row. So now I have to figure
> out what to do with a ton of this stuff.
>
> Anybody have any good, maybe unusual, ideas for shredded chicken salad?
> I've done Chinese chicken salad before, but due to a recent move I
> don't have a full pantry at the moment (e.g., no sesame oil, no rice
> wine vinegar). I do have mayo but I usually like to put something sweet
> like grapes in the salad and all I have are apples. Would they work?
> Had pecans but I ate all those over the weekend. I do have Spanish
> peanuts. :-)
>
> I know, I know, I need to go to the store....
>
> Scooter

Curry powder, mayo, celery, onion, s & p, and either grapes or apples

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "Scooter" >
> oups.com:
>

> > Anybody have any good, maybe unusual, ideas for shredded chicken salad?

> You didn't say how much of the shredded chicken you had. You have a lot

of
> choices. Make a batch of chicken salad as you usually do and freeze the
> rest of the chicken. Freeze all of the shredded chicken. Go ahead and
> make the chicken enchiladas as you normally would and then freeze them.
>
> > I've done Chinese chicken salad before, but due to a recent move I
> > don't have a full pantry at the moment (e.g., no sesame oil, no rice
> > wine vinegar). I do have mayo but I usually like to put something sweet
> > like grapes in the salad and all I have are apples. Would they work?

> Grapes and walnuts work well in chicken salad. I'm not so sure about the
> peanuts you mentioned below. If you have a wok you can make a decent stir
> fry out of the shredded chicken and mix it with the mayo and whatever else
> you have on hand that goes with Asian salad. Mix it with some fettucini

or
> other pasta, chill and serve.

(recipe snipped, but SAVED!)

Excellent suggestions, Michael!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
KW KW is offline

"Scooter" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I overdid it and ended up with way more shredded chicken than I know
> what to do with. To make matters worse, my original plan was to make
> green chile chicken enchiladas but we went out for Mexican last night
> and there are certain members of the family (not me!) who would not be
> enthusiastic about Mexican two days in a row. So now I have to figure
> out what to do with a ton of this stuff.
>
> Anybody have any good, maybe unusual, ideas for shredded chicken salad?
> I've done Chinese chicken salad before, but due to a recent move I
> don't have a full pantry at the moment (e.g., no sesame oil, no rice
> wine vinegar). I do have mayo but I usually like to put something sweet
> like grapes in the salad and all I have are apples. Would they work?
> Had pecans but I ate all those over the weekend. I do have Spanish
> peanuts. :-)
>
> I know, I know, I need to go to the store....
>
> Scooter

I usually just slap this together so quantities may be off slightly.....and
you may want to adjust to your taste (I like it somewhat spicy)

Crunchy Cajun Chicken Pasta

Ingredients:

1 lb Chicken Tenders
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Medium Onion
1/2 cup Celery
1 Pint Grape Tomatoes
12 oz Pasta (Seashells or Bowtie works well)
1 Cube Chicken Bullion
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Creole Seasoning
1 tsp Garlic Salt
1 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 cup Mayonnaise

As an option I sometimes add 1 or 2 Jalapeno's to the mix.

Directions:

Dice all the veggies and set aside. Mix 1Tbsp Creole Seasoning, Garlic Salt,
Pepper and Mayo thoroughly and place in fridge until later.

Put Chicken Tenders, Bullion and 1tsp Creole Seasoning to 3-4 quarts water
in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook chicken until done (10 minutes or
so, depending on thickness). Remove chicken to a plate to cool and shred
once cool. Bring the water mixture back to a boil and cook pasta to desired
doneness (I like it al dente) then drain immediately and chill if you have
time.

Mix together all remaining ingredients and serve warm or cold. Personally, I
like it better cold and even better the 2nd or 3rd day after the flavors get
a chance to mingle a little while.

Keith

PS: also do a more traditional chicken salad using chicken, diced......
hard-boiled egg, apples, grapes, celery, sliced almonds and a few
tablespoons of the chicken broth and mayo S&P & Paprika to bind it all
together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Sep 2006 11:19:49 -0700, "Scooter" >
wrote:

>I overdid it and ended up with way more shredded chicken than I know
>what to do with. To make matters worse, my original plan was to make
>green chile chicken enchiladas but we went out for Mexican last night
>and there are certain members of the family (not me!) who would not be
>enthusiastic about Mexican two days in a row. So now I have to figure
>out what to do with a ton of this stuff.
>
>Anybody have any good, maybe unusual, ideas for shredded chicken salad?

<snip>

No ideas for salad. Make some chicken filled crepes.