FoodBanter.com

-   -   Bread made from chickpea flour (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/100693-bread-made-chickpea-flour.html)

Don Saklad 08-09-2006 01:57 PM

Bread made from chickpea flour

Around the Cambridge 02139 area or by mail where would the
bread made from chickpea flour be available?... ready to eat
or ready to warm and eat.

Many local India specialty grocery shops and restaurants did not
pan out for bread made from chickpea flour!

We have tried a few of the references at
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ch...flour%22+bread

Peter A 08-09-2006 02:55 PM

Bread made from chickpea flour

In article >,
says...
> Around the Cambridge 02139 area or by mail where would the
> bread made from chickpea flour be available?... ready to eat
> or ready to warm and eat.
>
> Many local India specialty grocery shops and restaurants did not
> pan out for bread made from chickpea flour!

Do you mean chapatis, the thin crispy breads? I can't believe any Indian
store would not have them - they are in cello packages, unrefrigerated.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at

Don Saklad 08-09-2006 04:43 PM

Bread made from chickpea flour

Thank you Peter Aitken !

Around the Cambridge 02139 area or by mail where would the
bread made from chickpea flour be available?... ready to eat
or ready to warm and eat.

Many local India specialty grocery shops and restaurants did not
pan out for bread made from chickpea flour!

> Do you mean chapatis, the thin crispy breads? I can't believe
> any Indian store would not have them - they are in cello
> packages, unrefrigerated.
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at

http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

chapati flour appears to be a blend of
wheat and malted barley flours
http://www.foodsubs.com/Flournw.html#chapati%20flour

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 09-09-2006 04:53 AM

Peter wrote:

> Do you mean chapatis, the thin crispy breads? I can't believe any Indian
> store would not have them - they are in cello packages, unrefrigerated.

I think you mean pappadums.

Bob

thesak 09-09-2006 07:52 AM

Bread made from chickpea flour

Thank you Bob Terwilliger!

Around the Cambridge 02139 area or by mail where would the
bread made from chickpea flour be available?... ready to eat
or ready to warm and eat.

Many local India specialty grocery shops and restaurants did not
pan out for bread made from chickpea flour!

It appears pappadums are made from urad dal, a type of Indian lentil,
see urad dal
at
http://www.foodsubs.com/Flournw.html#urad

chapati flour appears to be a blend of
wheat and malted barley flours,
see

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 09-09-2006 08:26 AM

don wrote:

> It appears pappadums are made from urad dal, a type of Indian lentil,
> see urad dal
> at
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Flournw.html#urad

They're made from a variety of flours. Some are made from dal, some made
with a combination of lentil flour and rice flour, some are made with besan
(chickpea flour).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappadum

Bob