Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tomatillo Recipes

I'm looking for all your favorite things to do with tomatillos. We
planted three plants, and have been eating them in chile verde, salsa
verde, etc. I'm looking especially for dishes that can be frozen or
canned, also. Thank you!

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> I'm looking for all your favorite things to do with tomatillos. We
> planted three plants, and have been eating them in chile verde, salsa
> verde, etc. I'm looking especially for dishes that can be frozen or
> canned, also. Thank you!

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

6 1/2 pounds tomatillos -- chopped large
1 1/2 pounds mixed green chiles
1/2 pound chopped yellow onion
1 cup lemon juice or vinegar [I used white vinegar]
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. whole black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large covered saucepan and cook over low
heat until mixture begins to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Liquefy with a "stick blender" and bring back to a boil.
Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids
and process in a steam pressure canner at 10 pounds for 20 or 25 minutes
for pints or quarts, respectively.
Makes about 8 pints.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> I'm looking for all your favorite things to do with tomatillos.

Rick Bayless has a great recipe in "Mexican Everyday." Take maybe 1
1/2 lbs of boneless chicken breasts, tomatillos, red or yukon potatoes
and white onions and slice thinly. Layer like lasagna, salting every
other layer, and sprinkling with 1/4 cup cilantro or epazote every few
layers. Scatter maybe 1/4 cup of chopped canned jalapenos on top and
sprinkle on maybe 2 or 3 T of the jalapeno juice. Bake an hour in a
covered casserole at 400, another 20 minutes uncovered. It's obviously
easy, surprisingly good, and just about fat free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What do tomatillos taste like ? We don't have them on this side of the
pond as far as I am aware.

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> I'm looking for all your favorite things to do with tomatillos. We
> planted three plants, and have been eating them in chile verde, salsa
> verde, etc. I'm looking especially for dishes that can be frozen or
> canned, also. Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for all your favorite things to do with tomatillos. We
> planted three plants, and have been eating them in chile verde, salsa
> verde, etc. I'm looking especially for dishes that can be frozen or
> canned, also. Thank you!

Here's a recipe using tomatillos...

This is a really tasty sauce served with chips and salsa in many
Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants in Houston. Ninfa's, a Mexican chain in
Houston, was one of the first restaurants to serve this sauce.

Ninfa's Green Sauce

Ingredients:

3 medium ripe avocados
3 medium green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
4 fresh tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
3 cloves garlic
4 sprigs cilantro
1-2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 c. sour cream (can use low-fat or fat-free)
Salt to taste

Combine tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos, and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to
a boil (the tomatoes provide the liquid). Reduce heat and simmer 10-15
minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Slice avocados and put in a blender. Add tomato mixture, cilantro, and salt
to the blender and blend well. Add sour cream and blend until smooth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 21:37:37 +0200, Steve Y wrote:
>
>> What do tomatillos taste like ?

> Sour green tomatoes.
>
> -sw

With that description in mind, do you know if anyone has ever used them
for "fried green tomatoes" when they couldn't get the real thing? I
wonder how it would turn out?
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> With that description in mind, do you know if anyone has ever used them
> for "fried green tomatoes" when they couldn't get the real thing? I
> wonder how it would turn out?
> Goomba

They're a bit too astringent for that, IMO. They don't work
so well as a "main event". They work best mixed in sauces and
salsas where the blend of other ingredients tones them
down a bit.

I also smoke/dry them and grind into tomatillo powder.
It's pretty cool, kind of like a smoked tomato powder
with some added astringency.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> I've got require fresh cilantro. I've never frozen chilantro so I might
> add it after the enchiladas are thawed and right before cooking.

> Michael

Guy at the farmers market said you can freeze cilantro as you would
dill: wash carefully. Pat dry. Get a big ol' hunk of freezer paper
and spread the cilantro/dill on it, then roll it up and put it in a
plastic bag. Freeze. Unroll what you want and use. I think it would
be fine in salsa fresca if you could chop it (or break it up) fast
enough before it thawed. Fine in cooking, too.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Ranee Mueller wrote:
> > I'm looking for all your favorite things to do with tomatillos. We
> > planted three plants, and have been eating them in chile verde, salsa
> > verde, etc. I'm looking especially for dishes that can be frozen or
> > canned, also. Thank you!

> Tomatillo Salsa Verde
>
> 6 1/2 pounds tomatillos -- chopped large
> 1 1/2 pounds mixed green chiles
> 1/2 pound chopped yellow onion
> 1 cup lemon juice or vinegar [I used white vinegar]
> 1 tsp. garlic powder
> 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
> 2 Tbsp. salt
> 1 Tbsp. whole black pepper
>
> Combine all ingredients in a large covered saucepan and cook over low
> heat until mixture begins to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
> occasionally. Liquefy with a "stick blender" and bring back to a boil.
> Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids
> and process in a steam pressure canner at 10 pounds for 20 or 25 minutes
> for pints or quarts, respectively.
> Makes about 8 pints.

Hey is that the stuff you sent me a coupla years ago? It's good.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>>> I'm looking for all your favorite things to do with tomatillos. We
>>> planted three plants, and have been eating them in chile verde, salsa
>>> verde, etc. I'm looking especially for dishes that can be frozen or
>>> canned, also. Thank you!

>> Tomatillo Salsa Verde
>>
>> 6 1/2 pounds tomatillos -- chopped large
>> 1 1/2 pounds mixed green chiles
>> 1/2 pound chopped yellow onion
>> 1 cup lemon juice or vinegar [I used white vinegar]
>> 1 tsp. garlic powder
>> 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
>> 2 Tbsp. salt
>> 1 Tbsp. whole black pepper
>>
>> Combine all ingredients in a large covered saucepan and cook over low
>> heat until mixture begins to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
>> occasionally. Liquefy with a "stick blender" and bring back to a boil.
>> Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids
>> and process in a steam pressure canner at 10 pounds for 20 or 25 minutes
>> for pints or quarts, respectively.
>> Makes about 8 pints.

> Hey is that the stuff you sent me a coupla years ago? It's good.

I have several recipes; this is the best one, and I think it's the one I
sent you. Thanks. :-)

Best regards,
Bob