Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sirloin on griddle?

Can sirloin steaks be cooked on an electric griddle? Or is pan frying
them better?
I dont have access to a grill, so that is why I ask.

Thanks,
Nickolas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nickolas80 wrote:
> Can sirloin steaks be cooked on an electric griddle? Or is pan frying
> them better?
> I dont have access to a grill, so that is why I ask.

Depends on the griddle... on shipboard galley electric griddles I
cooked tens of thousands of beef steaks, ham steaks, pork chops,
burgers, etc., cooked up perfectly, and fast... by the time the last
ones were laid down the first ones were done, could barely flip em
quick enough.

Sheldon Commissary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

, after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 05 Sep 2006, typed
out:

> Can sirloin steaks be cooked on an electric griddle? Or is pan frying
> them better?
> I dont have access to a grill, so that is why I ask.
>
> Thanks,
> Nickolas

If your griddle can get hot enough and if you tenderize it with a jaccard
or a good meat mallet, it'll probably come out OK. I'd also score the side
circumference lightly with a knife to keep steak "curl" to a minimum (for
maximum griddle contact.

Good luck,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 14:00:54 -0700, nickolas80 wrote:

> Can sirloin steaks be cooked on an electric griddle? Or is pan frying
> them better?
> I dont have access to a grill, so that is why I ask.
>
> Thanks,
> Nickolas

Use the frying pan.. it is a griddle with sides and you can super-heat it
on a standard cooktop. A HOT griddle is great for steak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
says...

wrote:
> > Can sirloin steaks be cooked on an electric griddle? Or is pan frying
> > them better?
> > I dont have access to a grill, so that is why I ask.
> >

> A griddle is just a less portable fry pan, isn't it? In both cases
> you're cooking with little or no oil, so if one works the other will,
> too. With an electric griddle you might have to take note of how
> quickly or slowly it heats up and cools down, and make appropriate
> compensations. For example, say you want to sear the steaks on both
> sides and then finish them to the desired doneness over low heat. And
> say your electric griddle is slow to cool down. Then you might do
> this: heat the griddle until quite hot; rub a little oil onto both
> sides of the steaks; sear the steaks for 90 seconds on the first side,
> then turn the temp down to low and flip the steaks; there will be
> enough heat to sear the second side while the griddle is cooling down;
> turn them again after 2 minutes on the second side if the griddle is
> still hotter than you want for the rest of the cooking. -aem

No electric griddle ever gets hot enough to cook a steak properly. I've
got a ribeye in the works tonight, currently sitting under a coating of
pepper. I will heat a cast iron pan until it smokes, and then heat it
some more before putting the steak in. You cannot do that in anything
electric.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> aem_again says...
> > nickolas80 wrote:
> > > Can sirloin steaks be cooked on an electric griddle? Or is pan frying
> > > them better?
> > > I dont have access to a grill, so that is why I ask.
> > >

> > A griddle is just a less portable fry pan, isn't it? In both cases
> > you're cooking with little or no oil, so if one works the other will,
> > too. With an electric griddle you might have to take note of how
> > quickly or slowly it heats up and cools down, and make appropriate
> > compensations. For example, say you want to sear the steaks on both
> > sides and then finish them to the desired doneness over low heat. And
> > say your electric griddle is slow to cool down. Then you might do
> > this: heat the griddle until quite hot; rub a little oil onto both
> > sides of the steaks; sear the steaks for 90 seconds on the first side,
> > then turn the temp down to low and flip the steaks; there will be
> > enough heat to sear the second side while the griddle is cooling down;
> > turn them again after 2 minutes on the second side if the griddle is
> > still hotter than you want for the rest of the cooking. -aem
> >

> No electric griddle ever gets hot enough to cook a steak properly.

Not your typical toys r us models but many certainly do get plenty hot
enough... and you don't need to have a huge commercial griddle either,
there are home style ones that work well... just gonna cost more than
$29.99 at Walmarts. Most any restaurant supply emporium will have
small sized griddles that get hotter than you need.

Of course there are very inexpensive cast iron griddles that will work
very well on a stove top, which is why I don't quite understand the
OP's reference to pan frying... if he implies he has a pan then I can
infer he has a stove.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Peter A wrote:
> > aem_again says...
> > > >
> > > A griddle is just a less portable fry pan, isn't it? In both cases
> > > you're cooking with little or no oil, so if one works the other will,
> > > too. With an electric griddle you might have to take note of how
> > > quickly or slowly it heats up and cools down, and make appropriate
> > > compensations. For example, say you want to sear the steaks on both
> > > sides and then finish them to the desired doneness over low heat. And
> > > say your electric griddle is slow to cool down. Then you might do
> > > this: heat the griddle until quite hot; rub a little oil onto both
> > > sides of the steaks; sear the steaks for 90 seconds on the first side,
> > > then turn the temp down to low and flip the steaks; there will be
> > > enough heat to sear the second side while the griddle is cooling down;
> > > turn them again after 2 minutes on the second side if the griddle is
> > > still hotter than you want for the rest of the cooking. -aem
> > >

> > No electric griddle ever gets hot enough to cook a steak properly.

> Not your typical toys r us models but many certainly do get plenty hot
> enough... and you don't need to have a huge commercial griddle either,
> there are home style ones that work well... just gonna cost more than
> $29.99 at Walmarts. Most any restaurant supply emporium will have
> small sized griddles that get hotter than you need.

The problem with *any* electrically powered cooking surface is the same,
and it's serious -- you can *get* it as hot as you want, but you can't
*keep* it hot, after you throw the food on it. The absolute maximum
power you can get from a standard wall outlet is 1,500 watts, and any
ordinary gas burner can deliver way more heat power than that.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wertz typed:
> On 5 Sep 2006 14:18:42 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> nickolas80 wrote:
>>> Can sirloin steaks be cooked on an electric griddle? Or is pan
>>> frying
>>> them better?
>>> I dont have access to a grill, so that is why I ask.

>> Depends on the griddle... on shipboard galley electric griddles I
>> cooked tens of thousands of beef steaks, ham steaks, pork chops,
>> burgers, etc., cooked up perfectly, and fast... by the time the
>> last
>> ones were laid down the first ones were done, could barely flip em
>> quick enough.

> So, do you think he has a USS John Paul Jones at home?
>
> -sw

Don't you? I thought that almost everyone did.

BOB

New Griddle, New Grill Ed Pawlowski[_2_] General Cooking 8 07-02-2011 01:39 AM
Blackstone Griddle Bob Hayden Cooking Equipment 1 02-03-2006 04:35 AM
Griddle limey Cooking Equipment 5 14-11-2005 09:32 PM
griddle? Borax Barbecue 8 15-03-2005 01:15 AM
What is "griddle" ? flo.agaud Sourdough 18 02-05-2004 06:07 AM