Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiled Black Beans

Got a bag (1 lb, $0.99) of black beans.

Followed the directions.

Shouldn't have.

I soaked them overnight, simmered them 2 hours, and
ended up with black mush that tasted like asphalt.

Why? Because I relied on the bag to tell me when
to put in the seasoning. It doesn't work if you
wait to the end and try to season in the bowl.

So now I have a gallon bag half filled with unseasoned
boiled black beans in the fridge.

Do I use them to patch the driveway, or is there a
way to repurpose them for comestible service?

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Got a bag (1 lb, $0.99) of black beans.
>
> Followed the directions.
>
> Shouldn't have.
>
> I soaked them overnight, simmered them 2 hours, and
> ended up with black mush that tasted like asphalt.

Probably put the lid on and never looked for the entire two hours...
and who knows what's your idea of simmering, probably boiled to death.
You over cooked them is all.

What's people's problem... I've never yet had any kinda dried beans
fail.

Sheldon Turtle

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
m...
> Got a bag (1 lb, $0.99) of black beans.
>
> Followed the directions.
>
> Shouldn't have.
>
> I soaked them overnight, simmered them 2 hours, and
> ended up with black mush that tasted like asphalt.
>
> Why? Because I relied on the bag to tell me when
> to put in the seasoning. It doesn't work if you
> wait to the end and try to season in the bowl.

I think I have heard that some people say the best time is to put it in
when it starts to boil. I just put them in at some point in the
beginning. Can it make a difference if the spices soak a bit before the
water turns hot enough to boil? I suppose it might be possible. I don't
know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
m...
> Got a bag (1 lb, $0.99) of black beans.
>
> Followed the directions.
>
> Shouldn't have.
>
> I soaked them overnight, simmered them 2 hours, and
> ended up with black mush that tasted like asphalt.

Some beans need much more than 2 hours to cook fully. I don't know about
black beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 01:21:54 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>Got a bag (1 lb, $0.99) of black beans.
>
>Followed the directions.
>
>Shouldn't have.
>
>I soaked them overnight, simmered them 2 hours, and
>ended up with black mush that tasted like asphalt.
>
>Why? Because I relied on the bag to tell me when
>to put in the seasoning. It doesn't work if you
>wait to the end and try to season in the bowl.
>
>So now I have a gallon bag half filled with unseasoned
>boiled black beans in the fridge.
>
>Do I use them to patch the driveway, or is there a
>way to repurpose them for comestible service?

Thin them out with chicken or vegetable stock, add some chiles,
cilantro, cumin, etc. and turn them into a pureed black bean soup.
Thin them with stock but only enough to make them spreadable, spice
them up and spread them on flour or corn tortillas and fill with
chicken, beef, fish etc. roll them up and eat. Use them as an
enchilada filling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Got a bag (1 lb, $0.99) of black beans.
>
> Followed the directions.
>
> Shouldn't have.
>
> I soaked them overnight, simmered them 2 hours, and
> ended up with black mush that tasted like asphalt.
>
> Why? Because I relied on the bag to tell me when
> to put in the seasoning. It doesn't work if you
> wait to the end and try to season in the bowl.
>
> So now I have a gallon bag half filled with unseasoned
> boiled black beans in the fridge.
>
> Do I use them to patch the driveway, or is there a
> way to repurpose them for comestible service?

I guess you mean they're fully cooked and very bland. I haven't been
in that position, but you might try adding flavor to the liquid while
not cooking the beans further. Something like this:

Dice an onion and a bell pepper and mince a couple of cloves of
garlic. Cook them until soft in a little olive oil in a saucepan. Add
a bay leaf, some dried oregano, salt and pepper and cook another couple
of minutes. Now drain all the liquid from the beans into the saucepan
and simmer for some length of time until the veggies have pretty much
broken down and infused the liquid with their flavor. You might even
take the stick blender to it. Then finally add the beans back and
bring the whole thing to a simmer again. Taste for salt.

I don't know if that'll work, but it's what I might try.
Wotthehell, you're only out 99 cents. Next time toss a smoked ham hock
in with the beans, too.

If you can find epazote, that goes especially well with black
beans. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 01:21:54 +0000, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Got a bag (1 lb, $0.99) of black beans.
>
> Followed the directions.
>
> Shouldn't have.

This is a great recipe..w/o meat!

Coyote Cafe

1 pound dried black beans
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 large onion,peeled, with root fibers attached 4 large cloves garlic,
slightly smashed 2 bay leaves
2 jalapeno chiles, cut lengthwise
1 bunch cilantro, tied
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons peppercorns
3 quarts water
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Spread the beans out on a cookie sheet and remove any foreign
particles. Rinse the beans in cold water two or three times. Do not soak.

2. Roast cumin, coriander and oregano together and crush or roughly grind
in spice mill. Tie them up together with the onion, garlic, jalapenos,
cilantro, bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns in cheesecloth and simmer in
water for 15 minutes.

3. Add the beans, tomato puree, and salt to the water and simmer very low
for 3 hours, or until the beans are completely soft and just starting to
fall apart. Add water as necessary. Remove the cheesecloth bag.

4. To make a thicker soup, you can puree 1 1/2 cups beans and stir them
back into the soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Why? Because I relied on the bag to tell me when
> to put in the seasoning. It doesn't work if you
> wait to the end and try to season in the bowl.
>
> So now I have a gallon bag half filled with unseasoned
> boiled black beans in the fridge.
>
> Do I use them to patch the driveway, or is there a
> way to repurpose them for comestible service?
>
> --Blair

Blair,

Burritos with black beans instead of pinto beans are very good. Since
these sound like they don't have much body left, you'll probably want
to do a mixture of rice, meat, beans, and/or whatever.

They'd also be great for a combo taste & thickener in a stew or soup.
(As opposed to flour or corn starch which is just a thickener.)

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Sep 2006 08:50:11p, Ken meant to say...

>> Why? Because I relied on the bag to tell me when
>> to put in the seasoning. It doesn't work if you
>> wait to the end and try to season in the bowl.
>>
>> So now I have a gallon bag half filled with unseasoned
>> boiled black beans in the fridge.
>>
>> Do I use them to patch the driveway, or is there a
>> way to repurpose them for comestible service?
>>
>> --Blair

> Blair,
>
> Burritos with black beans instead of pinto beans are very good. Since
> these sound like they don't have much body left, you'll probably want
> to do a mixture of rice, meat, beans, and/or whatever.
>
> They'd also be great for a combo taste & thickener in a stew or soup.
> (As opposed to flour or corn starch which is just a thickener.)

And if they're really that mushy, you could probably make refried black
beans, perhaps with a splash of rum.

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Such is life' - Ned Kelly's last words upon being
hanged

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Sep 2006 08:50:11p, Ken meant to say...
>

> >> Why? Because I relied on the bag to tell me when
> >> to put in the seasoning. It doesn't work if you
> >> wait to the end and try to season in the bowl.
> >>
> >> So now I have a gallon bag half filled with unseasoned
> >> boiled black beans in the fridge.
> >>
> >> Do I use them to patch the driveway, or is there a
> >> way to repurpose them for comestible service?
> >>
> >> --Blair

> > Blair,
> >
> > Burritos with black beans instead of pinto beans are very good. Since
> > these sound like they don't have much body left, you'll probably want
> > to do a mixture of rice, meat, beans, and/or whatever.
> >
> > They'd also be great for a combo taste & thickener in a stew or soup.
> > (As opposed to flour or corn starch which is just a thickener.)

> And if they're really that mushy, you could probably make refried black
> beans, perhaps with a splash of rum.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne,

Yah, that's what I meant to say. (?)

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Sep 2006 09:59:43p, Ken meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Sep 2006 08:50:11p, Ken meant to say...

>> > Blair,
>> >
>> > Burritos with black beans instead of pinto beans are very good. Since
>> > these sound like they don't have much body left, you'll probably want
>> > to do a mixture of rice, meat, beans, and/or whatever.
>> >
>> > They'd also be great for a combo taste & thickener in a stew or soup.
>> > (As opposed to flour or corn starch which is just a thickener.)

>> And if they're really that mushy, you could probably make refried black
>> beans, perhaps with a splash of rum.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Wayne,
>
> Yah, that's what I meant to say. (?)
>
> Ken

:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Can you imagine 1,000 cats agreeing to do *anything*?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Lots snipped in various places.)

> >> Ken

> >> And if they're really that mushy, you could probably make refried black
> >> beans, perhaps with a splash of rum.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > Wayne,
> >
> > Yah, that's what I meant to say. (?)
> >
> > Ken

> :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne,

Around here, anything and everything can go inside a tortilla. If it's
an open tortilla, it's a taco. If it's a closed tortilla, it's a
burrito. There's a taqueria about an hour from here that makes cone
shaped tacos with whole white beans inside as well as the filling you
chose. I've never seen that before, but that's how they do it.

So when I said put the black beans in the mix, that's what I meant.
But refried beans from black beans is delicious as well.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 12:13:09p, Ken meant to say...

> (Lots snipped in various places.)

>> > Wayne,
>> >
>> > Yah, that's what I meant to say. (?)
>> >
>> > Ken

>> :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Wayne,
>
> Around here, anything and everything can go inside a tortilla. If it's
> an open tortilla, it's a taco. If it's a closed tortilla, it's a
> burrito. There's a taqueria about an hour from here that makes cone
> shaped tacos with whole white beans inside as well as the filling you
> chose. I've never seen that before, but that's how they do it.
>
> So when I said put the black beans in the mix, that's what I meant.
> But refried beans from black beans is delicious as well.
>
> Ken

Either would be good, Ken. Where are you? I'm in Apache Junction, AZ.
Lot's of variety in Mexican / Southwestern food around here.

--
Wayne Boatwright

What does this red button do?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Wayne,
> >
> > Around here, anything and everything can go inside a tortilla. If it's
> > an open tortilla, it's a taco. If it's a closed tortilla, it's a
> > burrito. There's a taqueria about an hour from here that makes cone
> > shaped tacos with whole white beans inside as well as the filling you
> > chose. I've never seen that before, but that's how they do it.
> >
> > So when I said put the black beans in the mix, that's what I meant.
> > But refried beans from black beans is delicious as well.
> >
> > Ken
> >

> Either would be good, Ken. Where are you? I'm in Apache Junction, AZ.
> Lot's of variety in Mexican / Southwestern food around here.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne,

I'm in Central California. Specifically, I live in the Sierra Nevada
Foothills above the Central Valley. And to be more specific, I live
close to Sequoia National Park's southern gate. I did put myself on
the rfc map, wherever on the web that is.

In L.A./S. Cal, there are more immigrants from all places south of the
border, Mexico of course, but also Columbia, El Salvador, Peru, you
name it. Here in the Central Valley, where I work, almost all the
immigrants are from Mexico. There is one El Salvadoran restaurant not
too far from my job, but every other south of the border restaurant is
Mexican. Some good, some bad, just like the Yanqui version.

Stop by if you're in the neighborhood.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 06:51:51p, Ken meant to say...

>> > Wayne,
>> >
>> > Around here, anything and everything can go inside a tortilla. If
>> > it's an open tortilla, it's a taco. If it's a closed tortilla, it's
>> > a burrito. There's a taqueria about an hour from here that makes
>> > cone shaped tacos with whole white beans inside as well as the
>> > filling you chose. I've never seen that before, but that's how they
>> > do it.
>> >
>> > So when I said put the black beans in the mix, that's what I meant.
>> > But refried beans from black beans is delicious as well.
>> >
>> > Ken
>> >

>> Either would be good, Ken. Where are you? I'm in Apache Junction, AZ.
>> Lot's of variety in Mexican / Southwestern food around here.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Wayne,
>
> I'm in Central California. Specifically, I live in the Sierra Nevada
> Foothills above the Central Valley. And to be more specific, I live
> close to Sequoia National Park's southern gate. I did put myself on
> the rfc map, wherever on the web that is.
>
> In L.A./S. Cal, there are more immigrants from all places south of the
> border, Mexico of course, but also Columbia, El Salvador, Peru, you
> name it. Here in the Central Valley, where I work, almost all the
> immigrants are from Mexico. There is one El Salvadoran restaurant not
> too far from my job, but every other south of the border restaurant is
> Mexican. Some good, some bad, just like the Yanqui version.

Certainly a wider variety than ours.

> Stop by if you're in the neighborhood.

Thanks, Ken.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Make like a shepherd and get the flock out of here.

black beans fignewton Mexican Cooking 2 21-10-2013 11:44 AM
Black beans are calling!! kilikini General Cooking 15 07-10-2006 05:41 PM
Brazilian Black Beans serene General Cooking 2 29-04-2006 04:35 AM
Black Beans - Cuban Black Bean Soup Langerhans Diabetic 0 10-07-2005 09:04 PM
Black soy beans Katra General Cooking 13 03-06-2005 10:13 AM