Richard Periut

Default Cooking chicken..help!!

Mike Calo wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I'm baking some boneless/skinless chicken breasts. I usually cook
> them at 375 for 15 - 20 minutes - but those are relatively thin breast
> sections less than an inch thick, maybe 1/3 lb each. The monsters
> I've got now are EACH 3/4 lb and are almost 1-1/4" thick at the top
> section.
>
> Should I still cook them at 375? For how long?
>
> TIA
>
> Mike Calo
> Annapolis MD

Although you did not mention in what fashion are you baking them (in
sauce, dry with a rub, et cetera,) I would pound the thick parts with a
mallet, to make sure the meat is uniform in thickness.

My favorite way to cook chicken breasts is by marinating them in a
yogurt/spice mixture (Tandoori style,) for 24 hours, and placing them in
a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes--heavenly when eaten with home made nann.

If you want the recipe, e-mail me a request, and I'll e-mail it to you.

HTH,

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

John Gaughan

Mike Calo wrote:
> Should I still cook them at 375? For how long?

Try 350 for 20-25 minutes. Use a thermometer to make sure they are
cooked through to 165-170. If you poke it with tongs or a fork, the
juice should be clear. If they are not done, just keep cooking until
they are. Usually when you bake chicken it does not dry out a whole lot
so you could cook them as long as 45 minutes and they should be okay. I
usually bake mine at least 30 minutes.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Kajikit

Mike Calo saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:48:03 -0400:

>Hi all -
>
>I'm baking some boneless/skinless chicken breasts. I usually cook
>them at 375 for 15 - 20 minutes - but those are relatively thin breast
>sections less than an inch thick, maybe 1/3 lb each. The monsters
>I've got now are EACH 3/4 lb and are almost 1-1/4" thick at the top
>section.
>
>Should I still cook them at 375? For how long?

I'd cut them into strips or halves so that they're a more even
thickness... and THEN bake them.
(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Hahabogus

Kajikit > wrote in
:

>>Hi all -
>>
>>I'm baking some boneless/skinless chicken breasts. I usually cook
>>them at 375 for 15 - 20 minutes - but those are relatively thin breast
>>sections less than an inch thick, maybe 1/3 lb each. The monsters
>>I've got now are EACH 3/4 lb and are almost 1-1/4" thick at the top
>>section.
>>
>>Should I still cook them at 375? For how long?

Depends....If they are in some sort of sauce I'd just add 10 minutes and
cook them for 25-30 minutes at 375. If they're just dry seasoned I'd pound
them flatish (for more even cooking) and let them go for the 25-30 minutes.

You can purchase an instant read analog thermometer for 7 bucks or less or
a fancier remote digital thermometer starting around 19 bucks and up. I
suggest you get one of either types. The thermomteter takes all the guess
work out of it for you.