Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default flash fry

I have googled, searched, and looked for the definition of "flash-fry,"
and I have been unable to find a clear definition. I even checked
numerous online cooking definitions, glossaries, and so on and so forth.

Can someone please explain to me what "flash-fry" means. Thanks.

Mordechai

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:38:20 +0000, Mordechai Housman wrote:

> I have googled, searched, and looked for the definition of "flash-fry,"
> and I have been unable to find a clear definition. I even checked
> numerous online cooking definitions, glossaries, and so on and so forth.
>
> Can someone please explain to me what "flash-fry" means. Thanks.
>
> Mordechai

First hit on google gives this...

3) Flash fry (bao): Somewhat akin to stir-frying, except for this
technique the heat is super high and the foods are stir-fried in a flash.
Some people refer to this as explode frying. Another difference is that,
if using meat, coated it with egg white or a starch to contain the
juices.. This technique uses a minimum of seasonings, its purpose is to
highlight natural tastes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:38:20 +0000, Mordechai Housman wrote:

> I have googled, searched, and looked for the definition of "flash-fry,"
> and I have been unable to find a clear definition. I even checked
> numerous online cooking definitions, glossaries, and so on and so forth.
>
> Can someone please explain to me what "flash-fry" means. Thanks.
>
> Mordechai

Oil flash point is about 600F.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:38:20 +0000, Mordechai Housman wrote:
>
>> I have googled, searched, and looked for the definition of
>> "flash-fry,"
>> and I have been unable to find a clear definition. I even checked
>> numerous online cooking definitions, glossaries, and so on and so
>> forth.
>>
>> Can someone please explain to me what "flash-fry" means. Thanks.
>>
>> Mordechai

> First hit on google gives this...
>
> 3) Flash fry (bao): Somewhat akin to stir-frying, except for this
> technique the heat is super high and the foods are stir-fried in a
> flash.
> Some people refer to this as explode frying. Another difference is
> that,
> if using meat, coated it with egg white or a starch to contain the
> juices.. This technique uses a minimum of seasonings, its purpose is
> highlight natural tastes.

Thank you, Jay.

I found that website, and I perused it, but it was not of sufficient
help for me. (The grammar helped confuse me too, I might add.)

I don't understand the practical side of this, that is, how exactly to
do it. I always put the food in or on the oil when the oil is hot, and I
know of no way to regulate or even determine the heat of the oil in the
pan on the fire.

I'm perhaps far too unknowledgeable in the various frying techniques and
how they work and how to do them to understand this easily. But I'd like
to learn.

Mordechai

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> I have googled, searched, and looked for the definition of
> "flash-fry," and I have been unable to find a clear definition. I
> even checked numerous online cooking definitions, glossaries, and so
> on and so forth.
>
> Can someone please explain to me what "flash-fry" means. Thanks.
>
> Mordechai

I don't have a scientific explanation. I just think flash fry means to fry
(for example, fish fillets) very fast at a high heat until golden browned on
both sides. In my experience, it doesn't mean deep fried or fried until
it's cooked through, as far as I know. Just means it's quickly golden
browned on each side and then used further in a recipe which either requires
some deglazing of the pan with wine and continued cooking or baking until
finished.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Mordechai Housman wrote:
>> I have googled, searched, and looked for the definition of
>> "flash-fry," and I have been unable to find a clear definition. I
>> even checked numerous online cooking definitions, glossaries, and so
>> on and so forth.
>>
>> Can someone please explain to me what "flash-fry" means. Thanks.
>>
>> Mordechai

> I don't have a scientific explanation. I just think flash fry means
> to fry
> (for example, fish fillets) very fast at a high heat until golden
> browned on
> both sides. In my experience, it doesn't mean deep fried or fried
> until
> it's cooked through, as far as I know. Just means it's quickly golden
> browned on each side and then used further in a recipe which either
> requires
> some deglazing of the pan with wine and continued cooking or baking
> until
> finished.

Ah, I think I see. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:38:20 +0000, Mordechai Housman wrote:
>
>> I have googled, searched, and looked for the definition of
>> "flash-fry,"
>> and I have been unable to find a clear definition. I even checked
>> numerous online cooking definitions, glossaries, and so on and so
>> forth.
>>
>> Can someone please explain to me what "flash-fry" means. Thanks.
>>
>> Mordechai

> Oil flash point is about 600F.

Are there thermometers that measure the heat of oil in a frying pan?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 23:32:55 +0000, Mordechai Housman wrote:

> "jay" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:38:20 +0000, Mordechai Housman wrote:
>>
>>> I have googled, searched, and looked for the definition of
>>> "flash-fry,"
>>> and I have been unable to find a clear definition. I even checked
>>> numerous online cooking definitions, glossaries, and so on and so
>>> forth.
>>>
>>> Can someone please explain to me what "flash-fry" means. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Mordechai

>> Oil flash point is about 600F.

> Are there thermometers that measure the heat of oil in a frying pan?

You don't need one for this.. just wait for the fire to start and you are
there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 23:32:55 +0000, Mordechai Housman wrote:
>
>> "jay" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Oil flash point is about 600F.

>> Are there thermometers that measure the heat of oil in a frying pan?

> You don't need one for this.. just wait for the fire to start and you
> are
> there.

!!! So you're saying that to flash-fry the oil has to burst into flame?
Come on, be serious.

First flash-fry, then a flash fire, and then hope for a flash flood to
douse the flash fire. Sheesh.