FoodBanter.com

-   -   Making Candy Bars, question about caramel. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/100050-making-candy-bars-question.html)

Larry Bud 31-08-2006 07:02 PM

Making Candy Bars, question about caramel.

I'm trying to "mass produce" (for myself) Payday candy bars, just for
the fun, and they're great to take when golfing. I can cook pretty
well, but don't know all the tricks about cooking sugar.

I layed a bunch of peanuts in a 7x9 pan, melted caramel, poured the
caramel on the peanuts, topped the rest with more peanuts and pressed
it all down. While it was still warm I cut it into bar form.

Let it cool, and the caramel is a lot harder than I would have liked.
I can still eat it, but softer caramel would do the trick. They do
taste great, BTW.

What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
enough to melt it).

TIA.

[email protected] 31-08-2006 07:20 PM

Larry Bud wrote:
> I'm trying to "mass produce" (for myself) Payday candy bars, just for
> the fun, and they're great to take when golfing. I can cook pretty
> well, but don't know all the tricks about cooking sugar.
>
> I layed a bunch of peanuts in a 7x9 pan, melted caramel, poured the
> caramel on the peanuts, topped the rest with more peanuts and pressed
> it all down. While it was still warm I cut it into bar form.
>
> Let it cool, and the caramel is a lot harder than I would have liked.
> I can still eat it, but softer caramel would do the trick. They do
> taste great, BTW.
>
> What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> enough to melt it).
>
> TIA.

Try adding either a little bit of light corn syrup or a little bit of
cream to the melted caramel, or maybe a combination of the two.

merryb 31-08-2006 07:30 PM

Larry Bud wrote:
> I'm trying to "mass produce" (for myself) Payday candy bars, just for
> the fun, and they're great to take when golfing. I can cook pretty
> well, but don't know all the tricks about cooking sugar.
>
> I layed a bunch of peanuts in a 7x9 pan, melted caramel, poured the
> caramel on the peanuts, topped the rest with more peanuts and pressed
> it all down. While it was still warm I cut it into bar form.
>
> Let it cool, and the caramel is a lot harder than I would have liked.
> I can still eat it, but softer caramel would do the trick. They do
> taste great, BTW.
>
> What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> enough to melt it).
>
> TIA.

Butter?

Reg[_1_] 31-08-2006 07:59 PM

Larry Bud wrote:

> What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> enough to melt it).

Add heavy cream just as the caramel is approaching the
desired color (amber/dark brown). The more cream you
add the softer the result, to the point of becoming
caramel sauce.

--
Reg

zxcvbob 31-08-2006 08:09 PM

Larry Bud wrote:
> I'm trying to "mass produce" (for myself) Payday candy bars, just for
> the fun, and they're great to take when golfing. I can cook pretty
> well, but don't know all the tricks about cooking sugar.
>
> I layed a bunch of peanuts in a 7x9 pan, melted caramel, poured the
> caramel on the peanuts, topped the rest with more peanuts and pressed
> it all down. While it was still warm I cut it into bar form.
>
> Let it cool, and the caramel is a lot harder than I would have liked.
> I can still eat it, but softer caramel would do the trick. They do
> taste great, BTW.
>
> What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> enough to melt it).
>
> TIA.

Try adding water; just a very small amount.

Bob

[email protected] 31-08-2006 09:27 PM

Larry Bud > wrote:
> I'm trying to "mass produce" (for myself) Payday candy bars, just for

> Let it cool, and the caramel is a lot harder than I would have liked.

> What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> enough to melt it).

Corn syrup is what the big candy makers use. Cream will work, too.
Experiment a little with those two and you'll hit the consistency
you want.

Honestly, my wife buys 10 lb. bars of caramel from one of the big
suppliers for making this sort of thing in her chocolate shop,
although she does know how to make it herself she spends more
time on the fudges and truffles which are her specialties.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 01-09-2006 04:48 AM

Making Candy Bars, question about caramel.

In article .com>,
"Larry Bud" > wrote:

> What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> enough to melt it).
>
> TIA.

Add a tablespoon of water to it while you're heating it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Reg[_1_] 01-09-2006 05:04 AM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Larry Bud" > wrote:
>
>>What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
>>much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
>>enough to melt it).
>>
>>TIA.

> Add a tablespoon of water to it while you're heating it.

Adding the water before the sugar cooks (turns color)
will simply extend the cooking process as the water
cooks off. You'll end up with cooked sugar with no
liquid left in it.

Add the liquid at the end (butter, cream, or if
you insist, water, though this is for a candy bar
and you might as well make it taste rich and good)
once the cooked sugar reaches the proper color, not
before. It should be a light to dark amber, depending
on how you want it to taste. The darker it is the
stronger the flavor will be.

Careful here, it will really sputter cause the sugar
is so hot. The solids will seize somewhat and clump up
when the liquid hits it. Put the pot back on a low
flame and keep stirring until it comes together.

--
Reg

Larry Bud 01-09-2006 12:59 PM

Reg wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > "Larry Bud" > wrote:
> >
> >>What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> >>much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> >>enough to melt it).
> >>
> >>TIA.

> > Add a tablespoon of water to it while you're heating it.

> Adding the water before the sugar cooks (turns color)
> will simply extend the cooking process as the water
> cooks off. You'll end up with cooked sugar with no
> liquid left in it.
>
> Add the liquid at the end (butter, cream, or if
> you insist, water, though this is for a candy bar
> and you might as well make it taste rich and good)
> once the cooked sugar reaches the proper color, not
> before. It should be a light to dark amber, depending
> on how you want it to taste. The darker it is the
> stronger the flavor will be.
>
> Careful here, it will really sputter cause the sugar
> is so hot. The solids will seize somewhat and clump up
> when the liquid hits it. Put the pot back on a low
> flame and keep stirring until it comes together.

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a shot!

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 01-09-2006 01:38 PM

Making Candy Bars, question about caramel.

In article > ,
Reg > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > "Larry Bud" > wrote:
> >
> >>What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> >>much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> >>enough to melt it).
> >>
> >>TIA.

> > Add a tablespoon of water to it while you're heating it.

> Adding the water before the sugar cooks (turns color)
> will simply extend the cooking process as the water
> cooks off. You'll end up with cooked sugar with no
> liquid left in it.

I understand, Reg. I interpreted the OP's post that he was melting
commercially-made caramel candies; e.g., Kraft. I didn't think he was
making caramel from scratch.

Sheldon 01-09-2006 01:55 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article > ,
> Reg > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > > Add a tablespoon of water to it while you're heating it.

> > Adding the water before the sugar cooks (turns color)
> > will simply extend the cooking process as the water
> > cooks off. You'll end up with cooked sugar with no
> > liquid left in it.

> I understand, Reg. I interpreted the OP's post that he was melting
> commercially-made caramel candies; e.g., Kraft. I didn't think he was
> making caramel from scratch.

I agree. I would think the same, the OP gives no indication of making
caramel from scratch or that he has any clue how... and in fact were he
making caramel from scratch he'd not have asked about consistancy as
typically caramel recipe sources would indicate same by explaining
about adding liquids and cooking to temperature. Before attempting to
answer the OPs question, as I typically do, I'd ask to see his recipe,
othewise all anyone can offer is wild speculation.

http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/C...aramel_Recipes

Sheldon

Larry Bud 01-09-2006 03:09 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article > ,
> Reg > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > > Add a tablespoon of water to it while you're heating it.

> > Adding the water before the sugar cooks (turns color)
> > will simply extend the cooking process as the water
> > cooks off. You'll end up with cooked sugar with no
> > liquid left in it.

> I understand, Reg. I interpreted the OP's post that he was melting
> commercially-made caramel candies; e.g., Kraft. I didn't think he was
> making caramel from scratch.

You were correct, I am melting Kraft caramel, not making it from
scratch.

[email protected] 01-09-2006 04:28 PM

Reg > wrote:

> Add the liquid at the end (butter, cream, or if

> Careful here, it will really sputter cause the sugar
> is so hot. The solids will seize somewhat and clump up
> when the liquid hits it. Put the pot back on a low
> flame and keep stirring until it comes together.

Heating the liquid before adding it should help reduce
these effects.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Reg[_1_] 01-09-2006 07:09 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I understand, Reg. I interpreted the OP's post that he was melting
> commercially-made caramel candies; e.g., Kraft. I didn't think he was
> making caramel from scratch.

I am aghast at this. Recovery may take some time.

--
Reg

Karen AKA Kajikit 02-09-2006 12:58 AM

Making Candy Bars, question about caramel.

On 1 Sep 2006 07:09:00 -0700, "Larry Bud" >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article > ,
>> Reg > wrote:

>> > Adding the water before the sugar cooks (turns color)
>> > will simply extend the cooking process as the water
>> > cooks off. You'll end up with cooked sugar with no
>> > liquid left in it.

>> I understand, Reg. I interpreted the OP's post that he was melting
>> commercially-made caramel candies; e.g., Kraft. I didn't think he was
>> making caramel from scratch.

>You were correct, I am melting Kraft caramel, not making it from
>scratch.

I wouldn't know how to make caramel either! (or rather, I know the
theory but steer clear of anything involving boiling sugar/oil and
potential 3rd degree burns...)

I'd assume that when you melt the caramels some of the liquid in them
evaporates, so you need to add it back in to make it come out right.
People suggest cream, and that sounds good to me...