Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default Time to Cook

On 24 Aug 2006 13:59:49 -0700, "Jewel" >
wrote:

>Thanks for the info Julie. I don't know where you find time for all
>that cooking - wish I had it. I usually work at the computer until
>around 5 am and my office opens at 10 am. If I find any time during
>the day it gets used for a nap!
>
>The last year or two my hubby has done pretty much any cooking that
>gets done. Occassionally I fix a meal in self defense.

Hi Jewel

Not Julie, Alan. I changed the subject slightly and added a
cross-post to alt.food.diabetic, I hope you don't mind.

Julie and I have totally different food likes, dislikes, and
dangers. But we share the view that cooking for yourself is
part of managing our conditions. Cooking in self-defense is
a very apt term for type 2's. More apt than you may realise.

I don't have your busy day or the time constraints, but I
also dislike wasted time - or money. A trick many of us use
is to prepare and/or cook a lot of meals - or meal
components - at the same time so that a few hours in the
kitchen when the time is available can save a lot of
preparation and time later. I'm also keen to keep costs
down, so buying and cooking in bulk does that too.

Just an example. Maybe we're too different in our time
constraints - but maybe I can give you some ideas.

I buy meat in bulk form when it is on special. So I spent
Tuesday afternoon this week doing the following:

Seperating a half leg of ham from it's bone and cutting the
ham into chunks suitable for later slicing. One chunk in the
fridge for immediate use, the rest cling wrapped and put in
the freezer. The bone went into a large stock-pot, covered
with water and simmering.

Slicing a 2kg(4 1/2lbs) lump of scotch fillet into single
serve 4-6 oz steaks; cling-wrapped individually and into the
freezer. Reserving the meaty scraps unsuitable for a steak
for casserole cubes.

Cutting a very cheap lump of blade steak into casserole
cubes. Adding the reserved scotch fillet cubes,
cling-wrapping and freezing into separate lots for future
stews.

Chopping an assortment of veges (celery, cauli, broccoli,
capsicum/peppers, onion, cabbage, carrot) to make two
things: some, with added corn kernels and kidney beans in
the fridge for the base of a salad/stir-fry mix
http://tinyurl.com/caedy the rest with some added chopped
root veges, garlic and herbs into the ham-bone stock to make
about 4 litres (about a gallon) of soup.

Making a bulk lot of Napoli sauce - pretty simple, basically
opening six cans of tomato, chopping onion and garlic in the
food processor and adding some basil later in the cooking
process http://tinyurl.com/jn7fb

The actual cutting, chopping, wrapping etc took about an
hour; once the cooking process started the soup and sauce
pots only needed to be checked and stirred occasionally over
the next hour or so while I did other things.

Finally, the soup took about fifteen minutes to put
together; after reduction and cooking it made about ten
individual serves in the freezer, each large enough to be
lunch for me. The Napoli sauce made 10-15 serves of varying
size for future use as a ketchup or as sauce in pastas, on
it's own or with meat as a bolognaise. There are 7 nice
steaks in the freezer and five prepared lots of meat for
stews. Some other day I'll turn a few of them into beef
burgundy, or stroganoff or similar - without needing to
prepare the meat at that time.

To show how it can save time, that night I treated myself to
pasta. I was able to make the bolognaise by frying the
onions and garlic, adding the mince(ground beef) and then
the prepared napoli sauce in about five minutes while the
water heated, then let the sauce mix simmer for the time it
took for the spaghetti to cook - about 15 minutes in total.
And, for the BGs, I serve half the pasta I used to have -
with double the sauce.

Bon appetit:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 500mg
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for the suggestions, Alan. Sounds like you cook
real food (although I have no idea what scotch fillet is). I think
I need to put defrosting the freezer on the weekend agenda.
Ralph left the door a bit ajar a week or two ago and so now I
have a box of fluffy ice that stands nearly 6 feet tall.

My back is too stove up to go for a walk right now so I'll have
to see if I can con him into taking some cooking lessons.

- Jewel

Alan S wrote:

> I buy meat in bulk form when it is on special. So I spent
> Tuesday afternoon this week doing the following:
>
> Seperating a half leg of ham from it's bone and cutting the
> ham into chunks suitable for later slicing. One chunk in the
> fridge for immediate use, the rest cling wrapped and put in
> the freezer. The bone went into a large stock-pot, covered
> with water and simmering.
>
> Slicing a 2kg(4 1/2lbs) lump of scotch fillet into single
> serve 4-6 oz steaks; cling-wrapped individually and into the
> freezer. Reserving the meaty scraps unsuitable for a steak
> for casserole cubes.
>
> Cutting a very cheap lump of blade steak into casserole
> cubes. Adding the reserved scotch fillet cubes,
> cling-wrapping and freezing into separate lots for future
> stews.
>
> Chopping an assortment of veges (celery, cauli, broccoli,
> capsicum/peppers, onion, cabbage, carrot) to make two
> things: some, with added corn kernels and kidney beans in
> the fridge for the base of a salad/stir-fry mix
> http://tinyurl.com/caedy the rest with some added chopped
> root veges, garlic and herbs into the ham-bone stock to make
> about 4 litres (about a gallon) of soup.
>
> Making a bulk lot of Napoli sauce - pretty simple, basically
> opening six cans of tomato, chopping onion and garlic in the
> food processor and adding some basil later in the cooking
> process http://tinyurl.com/jn7fb
>
> The actual cutting, chopping, wrapping etc took about an
> hour; once the cooking process started the soup and sauce
> pots only needed to be checked and stirred occasionally over
> the next hour or so while I did other things.
>
> Finally, the soup took about fifteen minutes to put
> together; after reduction and cooking it made about ten
> individual serves in the freezer, each large enough to be
> lunch for me. The Napoli sauce made 10-15 serves of varying
> size for future use as a ketchup or as sauce in pastas, on
> it's own or with meat as a bolognaise. There are 7 nice
> steaks in the freezer and five prepared lots of meat for
> stews. Some other day I'll turn a few of them into beef
> burgundy, or stroganoff or similar - without needing to
> prepare the meat at that time.
>
> To show how it can save time, that night I treated myself to
> pasta. I was able to make the bolognaise by frying the
> onions and garlic, adding the mince(ground beef) and then
> the prepared napoli sauce in about five minutes while the
> water heated, then let the sauce mix simmer for the time it
> took for the spaghetti to cook - about 15 minutes in total.
> And, for the BGs, I serve half the pasta I used to have -
> with double the sauce.
>
> Bon appetit:-)
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 500mg
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
|| Slicing a 2kg(4 1/2lbs) lump of scotch fillet into single
|| serve 4-6 oz steaks; cling-wrapped individually and into the
|| freezer. Reserving the meaty scraps unsuitable for a steak
|| for casserole cubes.

Hi Alan,

What is 'scotch fillet'? I am not familiar with the term.

BJ
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --
Roger Caras

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com
http://www.americanpatrol.com/REFERENCE/isacrime.html
http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 7:58:13 -0400, BJ in Texas wrote
(in message
>) :

> Alan S > wrote:
>>>
>>> Slicing a 2kg(4 1/2lbs) lump of scotch fillet into single
>>> serve 4-6 oz steaks; cling-wrapped individually and into the
>>> freezer. Reserving the meaty scraps unsuitable for a steak
>>> for casserole cubes.
>>>

> Hi Alan,
>
> What is 'scotch fillet'? I am not familiar with the term.

Until Alan gets here, I think it is called ribeye or
Delmonico steak in the US. I heard this on Alton
Brown's "Good Eats".

hth.

TaniO

> BJ

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:14:04 GMT, TaniO
> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 7:58:13 -0400, BJ in Texas wrote
>(in message
> ):

>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> What is 'scotch fillet'? I am not familiar with the term.

>Until Alan gets here, I think it is called ribeye or
>Delmonico steak in the US. I heard this on Alton
>Brown's "Good Eats".
>
>hth.
>
>TaniO

Hi BJ and Tanio

Ribeye, but not eye fillet. I'm not a butcher, but it sounds
right. Here is a picture where they call it that as well:
http://www.gourmetdirect.com/product...Whole_Rib_Eye/

When I buy it, I buy the full fillet and slice it myself
into thick, but small, steaks by cutting each slice in half.
I can usually buy it that way for AU$8-$10/Kg
(US$2.75-$3.50/lb) which means that each steak works out at
around AU$1.30-$1.60 per serve.

Properly cooked I consider it the best combination of taste
and tenderness on the animal.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 500mg

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

In alt.support.diabetes TaniO > wrote:
: On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 7:58:13 -0400, BJ in Texas wrote
: (in message
: >) :

: > Alan S > wrote:
: >>>
: >>> Slicing a 2kg(4 1/2lbs) lump of scotch fillet into single
: >>> serve 4-6 oz steaks; cling-wrapped individually and into the
: >>> freezer. Reserving the meaty scraps unsuitable for a steak
: >>> for casserole cubes.
: >>>
: >
: > Hi Alan,
: >
: > What is 'scotch fillet'? I am not familiar with the term.

: Until Alan gets here, I think it is called ribeye or
: Delmonico steak in the US. I heard this on Alton
: Brown's "Good Eats".

: hth.

: TaniO

:
: > BJ
: >

Nice expensive cut arond he-) (That's NYC-USA)

Wendy
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
|| On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:14:04 GMT, TaniO
|| > wrote:
||| On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 7:58:13 -0400, BJ in Texas wrote
||| (in message
steak
||| Until Alan gets here, I think it is called ribeye or
||| Delmonico steak in the US. I heard this on Alton
||| Brown's "Good Eats".
||| hth.
||| TaniO
|| Hi BJ and Tanio
|| Ribeye, but not eye fillet. I'm not a butcher, but it sounds
|| right. Here is a picture where they call it that as well:
http://www.gourmetdirect.com/product...Whole_Rib_Eye/
|| When I buy it, I buy the full fillet and slice it myself
|| into thick, but small, steaks by cutting each slice in half.
|| I can usually buy it that way for AU$8-$10/Kg
|| (US$2.75-$3.50/lb) which means that each steak works out at
|| around AU$1.30-$1.60 per serve.
|| Properly cooked I consider it the best combination of taste
|| and tenderness on the animal.

Learn something new every day.

Little more expensive here, not the most expensive but, as you
say, the best. My wife would know for sure what the full fillet
costs
here since she does most of the shopping and slicing, but
individually
sliced rib-eye steaks run about US$5.99/lb.

BJ
Stop Spam, take the Boulder Pledge -- http://boulderpledge.org/

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com
http://www.americanpatrol.com/REFERENCE/isacrime.html
http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

NE cook-in time and place Felice General Cooking 5 19-05-2008 06:36 PM
Want to cook Country Ribs for first time LenS General Cooking 15 03-07-2005 03:31 PM
Brisket cook time bk Barbecue 8 25-12-2004 08:20 PM
HELP- Simple way to cook Phesant for first time please Rick General Cooking 4 15-02-2004 12:27 PM
Cook Time Aria Barbecue 15 26-11-2003 03:45 AM