FoodBanter.com

-   -   Applesauce Spice Cake (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/99415-applesauce-spice-cake.html)

Barbara H 22-08-2006 07:22 PM

Applesauce Spice Cake

From a friend in Greece:

APPLESAUCE SPICE CAKE

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ c. soy flour

1 ½ c. almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar (I substituted 1/3 c. sugar & 2/3 c. splenda)
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup plain yogurt diluted a bit with milk, or 1/4 cup of buttermilk

1/2 cup of chopped walnuts

1/2 cup raisins (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Nonstick spray either an 8-in square baking pan or
a 10" bundt pan, set aside.

2. Mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves,
and salt. Set aside. Almond flour is too coarse to sift so I used a wisk to
make sure these ingredients were well blended.

3. In an electric mixer, beat butter until light, add sugar & Splenda and
beat until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate after
each addition. Add the vanilla and the applesauce and beat until smooth.

4. Mix in half of the dry ingredients. Just before they are blended, add the
thinned yogurt (or buttermilk). Then mix in the rest of the dry ingredients,
until completely incorporated. Do not over-mix. This mixture is not smooth
and creamy like most cake mixtures however, it bakes up very nicely.

5. Pour out the batter into your prepared cake pan. Place in the middle rack
of the 375°F oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until done. (mine took 35
mins. in a bundt pan) The cake should spring back to the touch, and a
toothpick or thin skewer should come out clean after being inserted in
various spots in the middle of the cake. Remove the cake from the oven. Let
cool for 15 minutes. Then invert to cool completely on a rack. I prefer this
cake after it's been chilled overnight. It's very moist and quite good.

You can tweak these ingredients to suit your tastes & needs. I added only
carbs and fiber and 1/2th of the 10" bundt cake = approx. 8.2 carbs after
subtracting the fiber. That's a nice size piece of cake.

Barbara H 22-08-2006 07:24 PM

Applesauce Spice Cake

Oops - Sorry, that should have been 1/2 c. soy flour.....