Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Jicama Slaw

JICAMA SLAW

Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 30 min

1 medium red onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
21/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Splenda
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 lb jicama, peeled and cut into julienne strips (9 to 10 cups)
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Soak onion in 1 cup cold water with 1/2 teaspoon salt 15 minutes (to
make onion flavor milder). Drain in a sieve, then rinse under cold water
and pat dry.

Whisk together lime juice, oil, Splenda, pepper, and remaining 3/4
teaspoon salt in a large bowl until combined well. Add onion, jicama,
cilantro, and salt to taste and toss well.

Cooks' note:
• Jicama can be cut into julienne strips 6 hours ahead and chilled,
covered.

Makes 8 servings.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan Moorman wrote:

> Isn't Jicama very sweet? It seems that way to me. Which would make
> regular cabbage slaw be a better "diabetic" choice!

Jicama isn't sweet to me at all.

1 cup of shredded jicama has 11g of carbs and 6g of fiber for a net of
5g of carbs.

It may taste sweet to you, but it's not high carb at all.

And sure you can make regular cole slaw... but this isn't that recipe.

Jennifer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan Moorman" > wrote in message

> Isn't Jicama very sweet? It seems that way to me. Which would make
> regular cabbage slaw be a better "diabetic" choice!

Jicama can have a bit of a starchy taste but I don't find it overly sweet.
I've tried this recipe and I love it! Regular cabbage slaw is loaded with
sugar. I've tried a variety of "sugar free" slaw recipes. Many of them
contain apple juice or something equally sweet. They're just not usually as
good as regular cabbage slaw.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Alan Moorman" > wrote in message
>

>>Isn't Jicama very sweet? It seems that way to me. Which would make
>>regular cabbage slaw be a better "diabetic" choice!

> Jicama can have a bit of a starchy taste but I don't find it overly sweet.
> I've tried this recipe and I love it! Regular cabbage slaw is loaded with
> sugar. I've tried a variety of "sugar free" slaw recipes. Many of them
> contain apple juice or something equally sweet. They're just not usually as
> good as regular cabbage slaw.

I make cabbage slaw dressing with low-fat (also low carb) Hellman's or
Best Foods mayo, cider vinegar, salt, pepper and a little Splenda if
needed. I add some water to the mixture to thin it so it's not too heavy
on the mayo. My mom and all of my aunts never added any sweetener.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> I make cabbage slaw dressing with low-fat (also low carb) Hellman's or
> Best Foods mayo, cider vinegar, salt, pepper and a little Splenda if
> needed. I add some water to the mixture to thin it so it's not too heavy
> on the mayo. My mom and all of my aunts never added any sweetener.

Egg and soy allergies. Can't do mayo of any kind. The recipes I've tried
so far have not been good.

--
See my webpage:

How to use the jicama Dan S. General Cooking 18 15-02-2009 04:47 PM
REC: JICAMA SLAW Jennifer Diabetic 1 20-07-2005 03:56 AM
jicama Pete Mexican Cooking 3 22-12-2004 06:29 AM
Jicama Read Recipes (moderated) 0 20-12-2004 09:41 PM
Jicama Slaw - 1 7Hawks Recipes 0 09-11-2004 01:11 AM