Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Roasted Red Pepper Dip

This is quick to fix and elegant to serve.
We put it on grilled Romaine lettuce hearts.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Roasted Red Pepper Dip

This tangy dip goes well on vegetables, toasted bread, or crackers.

Recipe By: Pete & Peggy Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Red peppers
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Vegetarian, Low Carb,
Meatless, Simple - Easy, Vegetables, Sauces, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
1/3 cup whole natural almonds
1 cup Red peppers ; - Roasted & chopped
1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 tablespoon shallot
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt ; - to taste
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper

-= Instructions =-
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the nuts on a baking sheet and toast
until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Let cool.

Put the nuts into a processor and finely chop. Add pepper, vinegar and
shallots to the bowl and process until smooth. While the processor is
running, drizzle the oil into the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and
serve.

Each (2 Tbs) serving contains an estimated:
Cals:44, FatCals: 32, TotFat: 3.5g
SatFat: 0g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 3g
Chol: 0g, Na: 49mg, K: 67mg
TotCarbs: 4g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 1g
NetCarbs: 3g, Protein: 1g

Adapted from recipe by: Chef Ellie Krieger

** Recipe, with photo, at: www.bigoven.com/recipe161483 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This sound like something I'd really like. I like the idea of adding
almonds, one of my favorite foods for their taste and nutritional
value.

When I make it I will be making one change, I like my almonds raw and
soaked in water for 2 days. When almonds are roasted, the nutriments
are altered, I prefer them natural.

I have been buying sweet red pepper paste (spread) from Turkey. I love
it in salads. I smear about 2 tbs in the bottom of my salad bowl, add
salad, olive oil, rice vinegar and toss. Delicious IMHO. The only
problem with buying the red pepper paste is the large containers it
comes in. My hubby don't like it much and I can't eat it all before I
consider it over the hill and I don't like throwing food away.

I'll be making a batch with your recipe today, will try it with pork
we are planning to cook carnitas style. We normally eat it with salsa
but the roasted red pepper dip sounds good.

Andrea2
Type 2, pregnant