Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Sugar Free Berry Icebox Pie

Every now and then I need a treat. I adapted this from a recipe designed by
a friend of mine.
It's not truly "low carb" but it's much lower than the traditional version.
(less than half)

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sugar Free Blueberry Icebox Pie

Smooth and creamy with lots of flavor. But the sugar and carbs are reduced
to make it diabetic-friendly

Recipe By: Pete & Peggy Romfh
Serving Size: 16
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Cream Cheese
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Fat, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Desserts

-= Ingredients =-
~~ -- Crust -- ~~
1/2 cup graham crackers ; - low fat
1 cup Bran cereal ; - I used Fiber One
2 teaspoons Splenda
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon ; - optional
1 medium Egg white ; - or 1/4 cup egg substitute
~~ -- Filling -- ~~
1 1/2 cups Blueberries ; - fresh or frozen (thawed)
2 tablespoons Lemon juice ; - one med. lemon
1 envelope Gelatin ; - plain
8 ounces Low fat cream cheese ; - one package
8 ounces Fat Free cream cheese ; - one package
14 ounces Sugar Free Condensed Milk ; - recipe follows
~~ -- Topping -- ~~
1/2 cup Blueberries
1/2 cup Cool Whip - Sugar Free ; - optional

-= Instructions =-
Start with the crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F (or make this while you are baking something else)
Place the graham crackers, cereal, Splenda, and cinnamon in a food processor
and grind them into crumbs. You may also use a large freezer bag and rolling
pin to crush them if you wish. Mix in the egg white and pulse to mix into a
crumbly consistency.
Pat the mixture into the bottom of a sprayed, 9" spring form pan. Bake at
350° until it's firm and crispy (about 10 minutes). Allow to cool
completely. This may be done ahead if you wish.

To make sugar-free sweetened condensed milk:
In a large bowl, combine a 12 ounce can of non-fat evaporated milk, 1 1/2
cups of non-fat dry milk, and 1/2 cup of Splenda. Mix thoroughly and chill.
Keeps up to a week.

The filling:
This recipe works with blue - black - rasp - or straw(berries) equally well
so use what's fresh in the market or what you have on hand in the
garden/freezer. Puree the berries. Strain and combine with the lemon juice
in a non-metallic bowl. I use the work bowl of the food processor. Sprinkle
the gelatin over the top and allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes to
soften and "bloom". Microwave the bowl for 10-20 seconds to warm the mixture
and dissolve the gelatin. Add the cream cheese(s) and condensed milk then
process until smooth. Allow this mixture to chill until it starts to thicken
but is still pourable (10-20 mins). Pour (or scoop) the mixture over the
prepared crust and allow to chill thoroughly (2 hours - overnight).

Top with a thin layer of sugar-free whipped topping if desired. Garnish with
a few berries just prior to serving. Alternatively you could put the topping
in a pastry bag and push it through a star tip to make a design on the top.
Puree the extra berries and drizzle them on as a garnish.

Cut in moderately thin slices (1/16 of the circle) to serve.

Nutrition analysis based on recipe w/ Blueberries and optional topping.
Each (app 90g) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 132, FatCals: 29, TotFat: 3g
SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 8mg, Na: 273mg, K: 262mg
TotCarbs: 30g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 7g
NetCarbs: 26g, Protein: 9g

Adapted from recipe by Chef Terry Conlan of Lake Austin Spa.

** Recipe, with photo, at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe161484 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Pete Romfh > wrote:
>> Every now and then I need a treat. I adapted this from a
>> recipe designed by a friend of mine.
>> It's not truly "low carb" but it's much lower than the
>> traditional version. (less than half)

>> ~~ -- Filling -- ~~
>> 1 1/2 cups Blueberries ; - fresh or frozen (thawed)
>> 2 tablespoons Lemon juice ; - one med. lemon
>> 1 envelope Gelatin ; - plain
>> 8 ounces Low fat cream cheese ; - one package
>> 8 ounces Fat Free cream cheese ; - one package
>> 14 ounces Sugar Free Condensed Milk ; - recipe follows
>> ~~ -- Topping -- ~~
>> 1/2 cup Blueberries
>> 1/2 cup Cool Whip - Sugar Free ; - optional

> What is sugar free condensed milk? Would that be what
> we, in teh US call evaporated milk, which is canned milk,
> reduced in water but with no added sugar? In the US
> condensed milk is available only as a water reduced ,
> heavily sugar sweetened canned milk.
>
> This looks like it would come out as halfway betwewen a
> pie and a cheesecake.
>
> Wendy

I mentioned in the method how to make a sugar free condensed milk. It's
richer than evaporated but isn't loaded with sugar like the commercial
version.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:

> I mentioned in the method how to make a sugar free condensed milk. It's
> richer than evaporated but isn't loaded with sugar like the commercial
> version.

Pete, can your recipe for "sweetened" condensed milk be used to make key
lime pie? I'd use a pecan crust. It's DH's fav pie.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>
>> I mentioned in the method how to make a sugar free
>> condensed milk. It's richer than evaporated but isn't
>> loaded with sugar like the commercial version.
>>

> Pete, can your recipe for "sweetened" condensed milk be
> used to make key lime pie? I'd use a pecan crust. It's
> DH's fav pie.

I haven't tried it but it was on my list to try.
I'm betting it would work. Probably with sugar-free Lime Jell-O.
and some extra Key Lime juice. (we have a bush on the patio).

If you try it make sure you share the results as it's one of my fav's also.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>Pete Romfh wrote:
>>

>>>I mentioned in the method how to make a sugar free
>>>condensed milk. It's richer than evaporated but isn't
>>>loaded with sugar like the commercial version.
>>>

>>Pete, can your recipe for "sweetened" condensed milk be
>>used to make key lime pie? I'd use a pecan crust. It's
>>DH's fav pie.

> I haven't tried it but it was on my list to try.
> I'm betting it would work. Probably with sugar-free Lime Jell-O.
> and some extra Key Lime juice. (we have a bush on the patio).
>
> If you try it make sure you share the results as it's one of my fav's also.

My traditional recipe doesn't use jello. We have the little Mexican key
limes all over our area. We are in Houston now and my hard drive
crashed last week. We'll be home on the weekend and I'll get all my
software into the computer and hopefully I'll have backed up the
traditional recipe.

I had a recipe for "sweetened" condensed milk similar to yours that
failed miserably. I'm not certain if it was the same.

Why don't you lend it your expertise and give it a try first?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Pete, can your recipe for "sweetened" condensed milk be
>>> used to make key lime pie? I'd use a pecan crust. It's
>>> DH's fav pie.

>> I haven't tried it but it was on my list to try.
>> I'm betting it would work. Probably with sugar-free Lime
>> Jell-O. and some extra Key Lime juice. (we have a bush
>> on the patio).
>>
>> If you try it make sure you share the results as it's
>> one of my fav's also.
>>

> My traditional recipe doesn't use jello. We have the
> little Mexican key limes all over our area. We are in
> Houston now and my hard drive crashed last week. We'll be
> home on the weekend and I'll get all my software into the
> computer and hopefully I'll have backed up the
> traditional recipe.
>
> I had a recipe for "sweetened" condensed milk similar to
> yours that failed miserably. I'm not certain if it was
> the same.
>
> Why don't you lend it your expertise and give it a try
> first?

I'm in Houston also. Fiesta Mart is a wonderful place for the "culinarily
adventurous". =

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:

> I'm in Houston also. Fiesta Mart is a wonderful place for the "culinarily
> adventurous". =

We are on South Main just off exit 2 of the 610 Loop. Where is the
nearest Fiesta Mart? We tried to find one and got lost. Houston is very
difficult to negotiate. All the streets seem to go in circles <g>

Did find the HEB today. Small store by Meyer Land or Lake or something
Meyer. Had a wonderful selection and much better prices than Randalls
and Krogers.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>
>> I'm in Houston also. Fiesta Mart is a wonderful place
>> for the "culinarily adventurous". =
>>

> We are on South Main just off exit 2 of the 610 Loop.
> Where is the nearest Fiesta Mart? We tried to find one
> and got lost. Houston is very difficult to negotiate. All
> the streets seem to go in circles <g>
>
> Did find the HEB today. Small store by Meyer Land or Lake
> or something Meyer. Had a wonderful selection and much
> better prices than Randalls and Krogers.

Take a look at http://www.fiestamart.com/
There's a store locator there.

Houston can be a bit intimidating to navigate in. It took us a couple of
years to start to feel comfortable beyond the area around the house and the
routes to work.
--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>Pete Romfh wrote:
>>

>>>I'm in Houston also. Fiesta Mart is a wonderful place
>>>for the "culinarily adventurous". =
>>>

>>We are on South Main just off exit 2 of the 610 Loop.
>>Where is the nearest Fiesta Mart? We tried to find one
>>and got lost. Houston is very difficult to negotiate. All
>>the streets seem to go in circles <g>
>>
>>Did find the HEB today. Small store by Meyer Land or Lake
>>or something Meyer. Had a wonderful selection and much
>>better prices than Randalls and Krogers.

> Take a look at http://www.fiestamart.com/
> There's a store locator there.
>
> Houston can be a bit intimidating to navigate in. It took us a couple of
> years to start to feel comfortable beyond the area around the house and the
> routes to work.

Thanks, Pete. I got the email and I'll get back to you. Preciate it.