Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Allergic reaction???

The past 2 days, late at night just before going to bed, I started to
feel itchy. I looked in the mirror and could see redness and small
pinpoint bumps on both sides of my chest, high near my shoulders. I
took Benedril and it seemed to go away, but when I woke up, my lips were
swollen and my hands were itchy. I took Benedril again and it went
away. I think I'm having an allergic reaction to something I've been
eating. My diet has changed quite a bit in the last few months, but the
new foods are relatively few. I think one of these is the culprit:
frozen wild blueberries, pre-cooked bacon, walnuts, pork rinds or
possibly fresh tomatoes from my neighbors garden. I strongly suspect
the pre-cooked bacon or the wild blueberries. The other items I've
eaten before with no problem, but not recently. Has anyone else had a
problem with them? Or perhaps one of them does not play nice with
Glimepiride. Maybe it isn't an allergy at all. I did stop eating all
of them and it stopped, so it seems likely. Oh, one more thing, I was
exercising just before I noticed it each time. Any ideas or
suggestions?

Cheers, Wizzzer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Is there anything else that's changed lately? As I've gotten older I
> have progressively become allergic to every mainstream laundry
> detergent
> I've tried. I thought I was all set some years ago, and then what I
> thought was the last one changed its formula. Luckily I've found that
> Shaklee's liquid laundry detergent doesn't give me hives. I hope they
> never change their formula and that the guy in my office who sells
> Shaklee sticks around for a while!
>
> Priscilla

Not really, Priscilla. In fact, I ate the leftovers of everything I
had last night. No reaction what so ever. Detergent was one of the
things I thought of first, but good old Tide has been the soap of choice
for a long time. I feel great right now. Even had a few beers with my
neighbor. Did a BG check a few minutes ago and it is 120 (about normal
for me). No itchy scratchy, no swelling, no nothing. I had to take off
my rings and watch this morning, because it seemed that the itching was
around them. I had a hell of a time getting them off. I'm wearing them
all right now... no problem putting them back on. If I felt really bad,
I'd be concerned, but this is more of a pain in the butt (nope, not
itching there yet) than anything else. What ever is causing this is a
real puzzle. Right now I'm looking at anything with MSG and Soy.
Tomorrow AM we try the Special K "Protein Plus" with wild blueberries.
Process of elimination. BTW, I didn't mention, it does not itch unless
you scratch it, which I thought was weird. The more you scratch it, the
worse it gets, almost like a nerve thing. The only time it was visible
was the first and only time it appeared on my chest. There is nothing
visible on my hands or knees, even tho they (did) itch like hell, and my
lips were puffy only the first time which was in the morning. Some of
this may be residual, they say MSG collects in your system. Pre-cooked
bacon and pork rinds are on hold for awhile.
Cheers, Wizzzer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
news

> Wizzzer wrote:
>

> Have you taken a medication in the last few weeks,
> particularly an antibiotic? I had a delayed reaction to a
> sulphur antibiotic a few years ago. Had a rash that started
> in my scalp and worked it's way down to my feet, including
> palms and soles of feet. It was terrible, I used phenergan
> to help with the itch. Fish is also a very common allergen.
> Are most of the foods you are eating from packets? I might
> be reading your posts wrong, but it seems it is. Try eating
> fresh food for a few days to see if there is any change. The
> only real way to test foods is to start with two basic foods
> that are less likely to cause allergy - lamb and pears - and
> slowly add in other foods one at a time.

Hi Ozgirl,

No new medication since Feb. I had the leftover fish and fries for
brunch yesterday with no problem. Last night I had chicken strips and a
salad with a homemade dressing that I was leery of and still feel great.
I'm going to have the Special K "Protein Plus" with wild blueberries for
breakfast. I had noticed that the cereal seemed to make my stomach feel
"extended" after eating it alone several times before. Then I'm down to
walnuts, pork rinds and pre-cooked bacon. I still think the pre-cooked
bacon is the bad guy. I'm saving it until I feel like itching again
(not real soon). The others will be tried one each day until I
eliminate them. If the bacon is the only one left, I'll be reasonably
sure and won't have to get itchy to prove it.

Cheers, Wizzzer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Wizzzer" > wrote in message
> The past 2 days, late at night just before going to bed, I started to
> feel itchy. I looked in the mirror and could see redness and small
> pinpoint bumps on both sides of my chest, high near my shoulders. I
> took Benedril and it seemed to go away, but when I woke up, my lips were
> swollen and my hands were itchy. I took Benedril again and it went
> away. I think I'm having an allergic reaction to something I've been
> eating. My diet has changed quite a bit in the last few months, but the
> new foods are relatively few. I think one of these is the culprit:
> frozen wild blueberries, pre-cooked bacon, walnuts, pork rinds or
> possibly fresh tomatoes from my neighbors garden. I strongly suspect
> the pre-cooked bacon or the wild blueberries. The other items I've
> eaten before with no problem, but not recently. Has anyone else had a
> problem with them? Or perhaps one of them does not play nice with
> Glimepiride. Maybe it isn't an allergy at all. I did stop eating all
> of them and it stopped, so it seems likely. Oh, one more thing, I was
> exercising just before I noticed it each time. Any ideas or
> suggestions?

You can have an allergic reaction to anything. But the swollen lips are a
real concern. Get thee to an allergist ASAP and explain what happened. A
simple blood test can determine what you're allergic to. In the meantime,
lay off all the new foods until you determine what it is.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wizzzer > wrote:

: > Is there anything else that's changed lately? As I've gotten older I
: > have progressively become allergic to every mainstream laundry
: > detergent
: > I've tried. I thought I was all set some years ago, and then what I
: > thought was the last one changed its formula. Luckily I've found that
: > Shaklee's liquid laundry detergent doesn't give me hives. I hope they
: > never change their formula and that the guy in my office who sells
: > Shaklee sticks around for a while!
: >
[...]

I am no expert on any of this, but could it be something lke shingles,
with painful itchy rash that come form nan erruption , up the nerves, of
the chickenpox virus which lies dormanat in you for decades adn amy
suddenly sxplode.

I think you should see an MD as it could be from any number of things and
we are not great diagnosticians here.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> I am no expert on any of this, but could it be something lke shingles,
> with painful itchy rash that come form nan erruption , up the nerves, of
> the chickenpox virus which lies dormanat in you for decades adn amy
> suddenly sxplode.
>
> I think you should see an MD as it could be from any number of things and
> we are not great diagnosticians here.
>
> Wendy

IIRC, shingles occurs on only one side of the body (at a time). If it's
on both sides of the midline, t'ain't shingles.

Shingles can itch like a summbitch, though. Last summer I thought I'd
got poison ivy on the top of my left foot, inside my shoe. My mother
finally diagnosed it. It was driving me nuts, trying to figure out how
I'd gotten PI just *there*!

I second the MD idea.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Wizzzer" > wrote in message

> > Is there anything else that's changed lately? As I've gotten older I
> > have progressively become allergic to every mainstream laundry
> > detergent
> > I've tried. I thought I was all set some years ago, and then what I
> > thought was the last one changed its formula. Luckily I've found that
> > Shaklee's liquid laundry detergent doesn't give me hives. I hope they
> > never change their formula and that the guy in my office who sells
> > Shaklee sticks around for a while!
> >
> > Priscilla

> Not really, Priscilla. In fact, I ate the leftovers of everything I
> had last night. No reaction what so ever. Detergent was one of the
> things I thought of first, but good old Tide has been the soap of choice
> for a long time. I feel great right now. Even had a few beers with my
> neighbor. Did a BG check a few minutes ago and it is 120 (about normal
> for me). No itchy scratchy, no swelling, no nothing. I had to take off
> my rings and watch this morning, because it seemed that the itching was
> around them. I had a hell of a time getting them off. I'm wearing them
> all right now... no problem putting them back on. If I felt really bad,
> I'd be concerned, but this is more of a pain in the butt (nope, not
> itching there yet) than anything else. What ever is causing this is a
> real puzzle. Right now I'm looking at anything with MSG and Soy.
> Tomorrow AM we try the Special K "Protein Plus" with wild blueberries.
> Process of elimination. BTW, I didn't mention, it does not itch unless
> you scratch it, which I thought was weird. The more you scratch it, the
> worse it gets, almost like a nerve thing. The only time it was visible
> was the first and only time it appeared on my chest. There is nothing
> visible on my hands or knees, even tho they (did) itch like hell, and my
> lips were puffy only the first time which was in the morning. Some of
> this may be residual, they say MSG collects in your system. Pre-cooked
> bacon and pork rinds are on hold for awhile.
> Cheers, Wizzzer

The items you eat themselves may not be the culprits, but the preservatives
used in them. You need to get checked for food allergies. My husband
almost died from cheese once, not the cheese type, but the additive used to
preserve it. In my experience, pork rinds are loaded with artificial
preservatives.
-ginny