Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Grain Stuffed Squash

This is a bit higher in carbs than some folks care for. But they're mostly
slow carbs and the overall nutritional profile is quite good. The dish is
also delicious.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Stuffed Squash with Herbed Goat Cheese

This makes a quick and easy side dish or main course. It's delicious,
healthy, and tastes great.

Recipe By: Pete & Peggy Romfh
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Squash
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Fat, Roast, Quick, Simple - Easy, Side
Dish, Main Dish, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
2 cups chicken broth ; - reduced-sodium
1/2 cup barley ; - pearled
1/2 cup Brown rice
1/4 cup 7-grain cereal
1/2 cup onion ; - chopped
2 medium acorn squash ; (about 1 pound each), halved crosswise and seeded
8 ounces Chicken breast ; - cooked
1 medium bell pepper ; - seeded and diced (red or green)
1 teaspoon dried sage ; - to taste
1/4 teaspoon Salt ; - to taste
1 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning ; - to taste
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper ; - to taste
4 tablespoon herbed goat cheese ; - crumbled

-= Instructions =-
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat the chicken stock in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the
barley, rice, and 7-grain and simmer, covered, until tender, about 20-30
minutes.

Scoop the seeds from each squash half and place, cut sides up, in a
microwave-safe baking dish. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and microwave on
high for 5 minutes, or until flesh is tender.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken,
onion, green pepper and sauté 3 minutes. Add sage, poultry spice, salt and
pepper, and the cooked barley/rice/grain and stir to coat. Cook, stirring
constantly, until chicken is cooked through and mixture is well-combined.

You can also do this in a rice cooker if you have one available. Add all the
stuffing ingredients to the rice cooker, set it and forget it. In about 20
minutes it should be ready to fill the cooked squash.

Spoon grains/chicken mixture into each halved squash. Transfer stuffed
squash to a foil-lined baking sheet or a baking dish and top with a few dabs
of goat cheese. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.

Serve 1/2 squash as a main course or cut each squash in half to make small
side serving.

Adapted from recipe by Robin Miller

Each (1/2 squash, 400g) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 280. FatCals: 39, TotFat: 4g
SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 33mg, Na: 494mg, K: 998mg
TotCarbs: 45g, Fiber: 8g, Sugars: 2g
NetCarbs: 37g, Protein: 18g

** Recipe, with photo, available at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe61396 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh > wrote:
[...]

this recipe looks delicious and the idea of using chicken and making it a
main course is something new to me. Just a few comments.

An easy trick to cutting acorn squash(or other hard shelled squashed)
poke a few hole into the whole squash along the line you will eventually
cut it and microwave it for 3-5 minutes. I w then is much easier to cut
and remove seeds and stuff.

As 45 carbs is more than I eat in any given meal, I woudl try this using
fewer rains and more vegetables sut up to reduce both teh carbohydrate and
caloric density.

I often do stuffed acorn squash as a meain dish for vegetarians who come
for meals(without the chicken, of course) It makes a lovely dish that way
too.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Pete Romfh > wrote:
> : This is a bit higher in carbs than some folks care for. But they're mostly
> : slow carbs and the overall nutritional profile is quite good. The dish is
> : also delicious.

== snip ==>

> this recipe looks delicious and the idea of using chicken and making it a
> main course is something new to me. Just a few comments.
>
> An easy trick to cutting acorn squash(or other hard shelled squashed)
> poke a few hole into the whole squash along the line you will eventually
> cut it and microwave it for 3-5 minutes. I w then is much easier to cut
> and remove seeds and stuff.
>
> As 45 carbs is more than I eat in any given meal, I woudl try this using
> fewer rains and more vegetables sut up to reduce both teh carbohydrate and
> caloric density.
>
> I often do stuffed acorn squash as a meain dish for vegetarians who come
> for meals(without the chicken, of course) It makes a lovely dish that way
> too.
>
> Wendy

Good idea for splitting them.
To cut the carbs back, try replacing the brown rice with shredded,
roasted cauliflower.
You could also play with some of the other grains to see how they
impact you.
I was trying for a "whole-grain" flavor and texture with the dish and
had barley on-hand.

If you do this as a vegetarian dish you should replace the chicken
stock with roasted vegetable stock and increase the spices a bit as
well as dropping the meat. That makes it acceptable to most vegetarians
while retaining the flavor and texture of the original dish.

Pete Romfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Grain Stuffed Squash

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message

> ** Recipe, with photo, available at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe61396 **
> ** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

The recipe link goes to anjother of your recipes, chicken in mole sauce.
I'd like to see what the stuffed squashed looks like. Can you provide the
correct link?

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987