Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Eggplant Kuku

This was posted to rec.food.recipes today and sounds soooo yummy! I
can't wait to give it a try.

Eggplant Kuku

Persian in origin, this souffle is wonderfully airy, and the eggplant
is infused with garlic and lemon. Think of it as a warm, puffy baba
ghanouj.

1 (1 1/2- to 1 3/4-lb) eggplant, halved lengthwise
Olive oil for greasing
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated with a rasp (1/2 cup)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Accompaniments: whole-milk yogurt; chopped fresh mint

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 F.
Bake eggplant, cut sides down, in an oiled shallow baking pan until
very tender, about 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scrape flesh
into a food processor, discarding skin, and puree until smooth. Add
egg yolks, cheese, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt
and pulse until blended. Transfer to a bowl.

Pour melted butter into a 6-cup (1 1/2-quart) gratin dish or a
9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate and tilt to coat bottom. Beat egg whites
with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt using an electric mixer at medium
speed until they just hold stiff peaks. Fold one third of whites into
eggplant mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but
thoroughly. Spoon into gratin dish. Bake until golden and puffed, 25 to
30 minutes.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

percy wrote:
> This was posted to rec.food.recipes today and sounds soooo yummy! I
> can't wait to give it a try.
>

> Eggplant Kuku
>
> Persian in origin, this souffle is wonderfully airy, and the eggplant
> is infused with garlic and lemon. Think of it as a warm, puffy baba
> ghanouj.
>
> 1 (1 1/2- to 1 3/4-lb) eggplant, halved lengthwise
> Olive oil for greasing
> 6 large eggs, separated
> 1/2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated with a rasp (1/2 cup)
> 1 garlic clove, minced
> 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
>
> Accompaniments: whole-milk yogurt; chopped fresh mint
>
> Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 F.
> Bake eggplant, cut sides down, in an oiled shallow baking pan until
> very tender, about 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scrape flesh
> into a food processor, discarding skin, and puree until smooth. Add
> egg yolks, cheese, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt
> and pulse until blended. Transfer to a bowl.
>
> Pour melted butter into a 6-cup (1 1/2-quart) gratin dish or a
> 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate and tilt to coat bottom. Beat egg whites
> with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt using an electric mixer at medium
> speed until they just hold stiff peaks. Fold one third of whites into
> eggplant mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but
> thoroughly. Spoon into gratin dish. Bake until golden and puffed, 25 to
> 30 minutes.

This is a definite "Try Soon".

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I adore eggplant...

Once the weather cools down and I want to turn on the oven again, I'll
be trying this one.

Jennifer

percy wrote:
> This was posted to rec.food.recipes today and sounds soooo yummy! I
> can't wait to give it a try.
>

> Eggplant Kuku
>
> Persian in origin, this souffle is wonderfully airy, and the eggplant
> is infused with garlic and lemon. Think of it as a warm, puffy baba
> ghanouj.
>
> 1 (1 1/2- to 1 3/4-lb) eggplant, halved lengthwise
> Olive oil for greasing
> 6 large eggs, separated
> 1/2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated with a rasp (1/2 cup)
> 1 garlic clove, minced
> 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
>
> Accompaniments: whole-milk yogurt; chopped fresh mint
>
> Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 F.
> Bake eggplant, cut sides down, in an oiled shallow baking pan until
> very tender, about 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scrape flesh
> into a food processor, discarding skin, and puree until smooth. Add
> egg yolks, cheese, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt
> and pulse until blended. Transfer to a bowl.
>
> Pour melted butter into a 6-cup (1 1/2-quart) gratin dish or a
> 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate and tilt to coat bottom. Beat egg whites
> with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt using an electric mixer at medium
> speed until they just hold stiff peaks. Fold one third of whites into
> eggplant mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but
> thoroughly. Spoon into gratin dish. Bake until golden and puffed, 25 to
> 30 minutes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eggplant Kuku

"percy" > wrote in message
> This was posted to rec.food.recipes today and sounds soooo yummy! I can't
> wait to give it a try.
>

> Eggplant Kuku

Oo that looks good! What do you reckon, serves 4?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:

> "percy" > wrote in message
>
>>This was posted to rec.food.recipes today and sounds soooo yummy! I can't
>>wait to give it a try.
>>

>>Eggplant Kuku

> Oo that looks good! What do you reckon, serves 4?
>
> Nicky.

I'd say 4 main or 6 sides. I suppose it depends on the size of the
eggplant. We're only 2 in the house, so it's a good feed with leftovers
for breakfast.

I'm hitting the farmer's market Thursday morning and will give it a shot
for dinner that night. I'll give a review.

Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

percy wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
>
>> "percy" > wrote in message
>>
>>> This was posted to rec.food.recipes today and sounds soooo yummy! I
>>> can't wait to give it a try.
>>>

>>> Eggplant Kuku

>> Oo that looks good! What do you reckon, serves 4?
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

> I'd say 4 main or 6 sides. I suppose it depends on the size of the
> eggplant. We're only 2 in the house, so it's a good feed with leftovers
> for breakfast.
>
> I'm hitting the farmer's market Thursday morning and will give it a shot
> for dinner that night. I'll give a review.
>
> Vicki

Couldn't force myself to fire up the oven in this oppressive heat. We
grilled lamb chops and eggplant slices and had a giant spinach salad.
It was a good dinner al fresco.

Vicki