Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low Carb Pizza--BG proof

I debated with myself many days about whether to rush this recipe out
into the public, but I have this sense of mission--that there are folks,
particularly Type II's who are harming themselves with traditional pizzas
and they need help quickly. Of course, these folks are likely to be "palate
spoiled" and accustomed to only the most flavorful pizza crusts. Those who
stand to benefit most, the heaviest indulgers in pizza will probably find my
low carb pizza not worth their salivary effort, but I am hopeful that some
will benefit and satisfy their need for pizza and avoid running high
numbers. In fact, this pizza crust doesn't change my numbers one bit. The
other nice thing is you can make the whole pizza in a covered non-stick pan
on the stove top and not heat up the house during the summer.

Ingredients for one, no frills, speedy personal pizza: (feel free to jazz
this up)

3 heaping tbsps. soy flour
3 heaping tbsps. ground flax (buy seed at Whole Foods type market and grind
in coffee grinder)
1 heaping tbsp. buckwheat flour
1 heaping tbsp. Vital Wheat Gluten (Whole Foods Mkt.) (somewhat pricey)

(You will note that the only flour with any substantial carb is the
buckwheat flour and that is low compared with most wheat-based flours.)

Spice for flour:
curry powder-- half tsp. I suspect. Maybe a little more.
Salt (you be the judge)
Splenda (1 packet)

Enough water to form the flour and spices into a dough ball.

Cheese and tomato sauce topping.

Directions:

Using a board and rolling pin well floured with the same flour mix that is
in the dough ball, roll out a thin, round pizza shell making sure that you
keep adding dry flour to prevent sticking. This pizza shell tends to stick
very easily so be careful. You may have to re-roll the ball to get this
right if it should break apart. It doesn't have to be perfectly formed to be
good.

Carefully place the pizza shell in an uncovered non-stick pan on medium heat
and sear one side and then the other. (note: this crust is amazing...I
haven't burned one yet .)

When the the crust is sufficiently firm and heat-cured, add grated cheese
topping and cover to melt on low heat.

When the cheese melts, top with a low carb pizza sauce, or just some tomato
sauce with seasonings like garlic, basil and ground red pepper, for example.
Cover and keep heating on low heat. I often add black olives.

Sometimes, I will put the pizza in a microwave for the last heating...say
about 1 minute.

Comments:

The shell is quite thin and very firm. It has a nice flavor with no
objectionable hint of what most of us normally dislike in soy and flax
concoctions. The texture of the crust is somewhere between a cracker and a
pizza crust.

If anyone dares to try this, please let me know what you think. I get
absolutely no blood sugar rise from these personal pizzas and I enjoy them a
lot. I just hope I don't gain any weight.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> [...]
>
> When the the crust is sufficiently firm and heat-cured,
> add grated cheese topping and cover to melt on low heat.
>
> When the cheese melts, top with a low carb pizza sauce,
> or just some tomato sauce with seasonings like garlic,
> basil and ground red pepper, for example. Cover and keep
> heating on low heat. I often add black olives.
>
> Sometimes, I will put the pizza in a microwave for the
> last heating...say about 1 minute.
>
> Comments:
>
> The shell is quite thin and very firm. It has a nice
> flavor with no objectionable hint of what most of us
> normally dislike in soy and flax concoctions. The
> texture of the crust is somewhere between a cracker and a
> pizza crust.
>
> If anyone dares to try this, please let me know what you
> think. I get absolutely no blood sugar rise from these
> personal pizzas and I enjoy them a lot. I just hope I

Sounds like time to hit the "test kitchen" this afternoon.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete,
I think you may need to use a whole tsp of curry for the flour mix that
makes 2 personal pizzas. I tend not to measure spices.

Low carb, practically no carb real fried chicken. ImStillMags General Cooking 33 03-07-2014 09:06 AM
zero-carb-flax-meal-pizza-crust RodS Diabetic 1 21-01-2012 12:48 AM
EZ Low-Carb Pizza Snack Stovetop Uncle Enrico Diabetic 6 05-11-2007 11:43 PM
Minimal Carb Pizza Alan Diabetic 1 23-03-2004 06:36 PM
Pizza Makers Consider Low-Carb Dough Jennifer Diabetic 4 04-02-2004 04:11 AM