Posted to alt.food.diabetic
G&G G&G is offline

Default Diabetic cook book?

Can anyone recommend a good diabetic cook book?
Thanks.
GW

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

G&G wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good diabetic cook book?
> Thanks.
> GW

Try the New Betty Crocker one. It has some very good information for
carb counters. It uses portion control, instead of "replacement" foods.

Janet

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"G&G" > wrote in message
. ..
> Can anyone recommend a good diabetic cook book?
> Thanks.

Anything by Dana Carpender. Most used book on my shelves.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"G&G" > wrote in message
. ..
> Can anyone recommend a good diabetic cook book?
> Thanks.

Nope. The cookbooks labeled as "diabetic" tend to have too many carbs in
them for most of us. And they seem to think that we diabetics want to eat
lots of desserts that contain no sugar. The people who write these books
are clueless. Your best bet is a regular cookbook that gives the
nutritional breakdown of the recipes. That's all you really need to know.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"G&G" wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a good diabetic cook book?
> Thanks.
> GW

Stick with any low carb cookbook, Dana Carpender has some good ones, my fav
is her "500 Low Carb Recipes". I also like George Stella's Livin' Low Carb
and "Low Carb & Lovin it". There is a recipe he has for pork tenderloin on
the grill with roasted peaches that's too die for...go easy on the peach and
enjoy the tenderloin. I also like the early Atkins recipes. You may want to
stay away from diabetic cook books because most are too high in carbs. ANY
low carb recipe from Myra is excellent, especially Myra's Cheescake and her
Coconut Macarooons, will leave a linkJ. Here is my lemon-bar cookie recipe
that's been on the 'net for years....

Nancy's Low Carb Lemon Squares

Per Serving 2.549 carbs & 103 cals per 1 of 16 servings.

List of Ingredients

Crust:
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 teaspoon guar or xanthan gum (optional, just helps hold
it together better)

Filling:
2 large eggs
1 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Recipe

Blend crust ingredients and pat into a Pam sprayed 8x8 baking pan.
Bake for about 18 minutes or until very lightly browned and set (not
shiny any more). Beat the ingredients for the filling (topping) for
about a minute, pour evenly over the pre-baked crust and bake again
for about 15-20 minutes or until barely browned and set. Let cool at
room temperature, cut into 16 even squares, eat one and cover the
rest. Keep cool in the refrigerator.

Myra's Cheescake http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/0212.html

Check out http://www.carb-lite.au.com/71DESSER...sertsmenu.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

depends on what type of diet you are on or what you are looking to cook.

while i try to eat as low fat as my will power will let me from time to time
i also make low carb dishes.

. ..