FoodBanter.com

-   -   Raw Beet Salad (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/95266-raw-beet-salad.html)

Julie Bove 03-07-2006 02:15 AM

Raw Beet Salad

I'm going to have this tonight for dinner along with some of the leftover
corn salad. Salad onions are something I get in my organic produce box.
They may not be available where you live. I think what they are, are onions
that have grown larger than you'd want them for green onions (scallions) but
not large enough for storage onions. Technically you can use the green
tops, but I find them to be too strong tasting. If you can't find these,
sub in a medium mild tasting onion. This would also be yummy with some
shaved parmesan or other cheese, but I can't do cheese because of my dairy
allergy. And you can add some olive oil if you like that in a salad.

5-6 smallish beets (bottoms only)
3 salad onions (bulbs only)
Juice of one lemon
Few sprigs of parsley, chopped
Real Salt (or whatever salt you like)
Freshly ground black pepper
Handful of walnut halves or pieces

Carefully peel the beets and cut into small pieces. Chop the onions and mix
them and the parsley with the beets. Squeeze on the lemon juice and add
salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least an hour to allow flavors to
blend. Sprinkle walnuts on top just before serving.
--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove 03-07-2006 02:22 AM

Raw Beet Salad - amended

Oops! I also added three ribs of celery, sliced.

--
See my webpage:

Quentin Grady 03-07-2006 08:26 AM

Raw Beet Salad

This post not CC'd by email
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 01:15:37 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I'm going to have this tonight for dinner along with some of the leftover
>corn salad. Salad onions are something I get in my organic produce box.
>They may not be available where you live. I think what they are, are onions
>that have grown larger than you'd want them for green onions (scallions) but
>not large enough for storage onions.

G'day G'day Julie,

Market gardeners will sell vegetables with whatever name people will
buy, however strictly speaking salad onions and green onions are
separate varieties. The salad onions are bred to have very mild bulbs.
A lot of breeding expertise goes into producing green onions with long
stems and no bulbing quite unlike the salad onions.

> Technically you can use the green tops, but I find them to be too strong tasting.

Too true. That is why we rely on the expertise of breeders to produce
onions for specific purposes.

>If you can't find these,
>sub in a medium mild tasting onion. This would also be yummy with some
>shaved parmesan or other cheese, but I can't do cheese because of my dairy
>allergy. And you can add some olive oil if you like that in a salad.

Olive oil helps with the extraction of lutein and other bioflavonoids.

>5-6 smallish beets (bottoms only)
>3 salad onions (bulbs only)
>Juice of one lemon
>Few sprigs of parsley, chopped
>Real Salt (or whatever salt you like)
>Freshly ground black pepper
>Handful of walnut halves or pieces
>
>Carefully peel the beets and cut into small pieces. Chop the onions and mix
>them and the parsley with the beets. Squeeze on the lemon juice and add
>salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least an hour to allow flavors to
>blend. Sprinkle walnuts on top just before serving.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Julie Bove 03-07-2006 09:37 PM

Raw Beet Salad

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message
> This post not CC'd by email
> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 01:15:37 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm going to have this tonight for dinner along with some of the leftover
> >corn salad. Salad onions are something I get in my organic produce box.
> >They may not be available where you live. I think what they are, are

onions
> >that have grown larger than you'd want them for green onions (scallions)

but
> >not large enough for storage onions.

> G'day G'day Julie,
>
> Market gardeners will sell vegetables with whatever name people will
> buy, however strictly speaking salad onions and green onions are
> separate varieties. The salad onions are bred to have very mild bulbs.
> A lot of breeding expertise goes into producing green onions with long
> stems and no bulbing quite unlike the salad onions.

Ah, okay. I didn't know this. I have grown Japanese bunching onions. They
give you a green top but no bulb. Tried a kind new to me this year in sets.
Garlic flavored. And they really are, but I don't like garlic. I tried
eating the greens but didn't like them. I just pulled them up because the
tops were wilting. They have medium sized bulbs and they tend to clump
together in fours. Also harvested my Walla Wallas because they were
flowering. I looked this up and learned that this was due to temperature
variations. I put them in early and we had a weird heat snap early on.
Then it got chilly. This could be why. The onions will continue to try to
grow once they've flowered but their grown will be stunted and they won't
keep. Must be used right away. Only had one onion that got really big. A
couple of medium sized ones. The rest were small and some could not be
used. Those had a smallish bulb surrounded by air space and then one more
layer. Because of the air space they were mushy inside.

> > Technically you can use the green tops, but I find them to be too strong

tasting.

> Too true. That is why we rely on the expertise of breeders to produce
> onions for specific purposes.
>
> >If you can't find these,
> >sub in a medium mild tasting onion. This would also be yummy with some
> >shaved parmesan or other cheese, but I can't do cheese because of my

dairy
> >allergy. And you can add some olive oil if you like that in a salad.

> Olive oil helps with the extraction of lutein and other bioflavonoids.

True. But I just don't care for oil in a salad. I do like the walnuts
though so I expect this would work the same way as the oil does.

--
See my webpage: