Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recipe: Guacamole - The Mexican Way

I know that many people on this group are fond of avocados. My daughter
was visiting from New Jersey and I took her to our little Mexican border
town for some shopping and lunch. I ordered guacomole to accompany our
lunch dishes. She was so surprised to see how they serve it in Mexico. I
thought I'd post it here.

1 large, ripe avocado
1 ripe Roma (plum) tomato, diced
2 tablespoons sweet onion diced.
lime wedges

Mash the avocado, but leave some small chunks. Don't turn it into mush.
(a pastry blender works very well for this) Put it on a plate. Put the
diced tomato on the plate next to it. Put the diced onion on the plate,
too. Garnish with lime wedges.

I have never had guacamole in any other form when visiting Mexico,
either in a border town or in the interior. Messing with this recipe by
adding hot peppers, salsa, (heaven forbid) mayonnaise or anything else
is American (Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, etc.), not Mexican. Some restaurants will
garnish the dish with one or two tortilla chips (freshly made) but we
here are careful about our carbs so I'll leave it out of the recipe.

When you serve the traditional guacamole, it is the same colors as the
Mexican flag; red, white and green.

If I am making guacamole for a dip to be shared by many people, I mix
the tomato, onion and avocado together with some fresh lime juice and a
dash of salt.

Janet
--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> is American (Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, etc.), not Mexican. Some restaurants will
> garnish the dish with one or two tortilla chips (freshly made) but we
> here are careful about our carbs so I'll leave it out of the recipe.
>
> When you serve the traditional guacamole, it is the same colors as the
> Mexican flag; red, white and green.

Interesting. What do you eat it with?

--
Is this the right room for an argument?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:04:11 -0400, Howard S Shubs >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> is American (Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, etc.), not Mexican. Some restaurants will
>> garnish the dish with one or two tortilla chips (freshly made) but we
>> here are careful about our carbs so I'll leave it out of the recipe.
>>
>> When you serve the traditional guacamole, it is the same colors as the
>> Mexican flag; red, white and green.

>Interesting. What do you eat it with?

I think the best way to eat guacamole is by dipping it with the corn
tortilla chips. My wife usually serves it with a dish of salsa and a
scoop of sour cream. Mix and match the three on the chip until you
find the right combination for your taste. I have to be very careful;
my wife prefers the hottest salsa recipes.

I have also seen it served as a topping on a salad made from shredded
lettuce, as a side for burritos, encheladas, fajhitas, and other taco
and tostada based dishes. It works with almost any Mexican dish.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bob McConnell > wrote:

> I think the best way to eat guacamole is by dipping it with the corn
> tortilla chips.

I happen to agree with you, but this is a diabetic diet newsgroup, Bob.
Anything based on corn is right out. So I'm wondering what else there
is to eat this with. Fingers? Celery maybe?

--
Is this the right room for an argument?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Howard S Shubs > wrote:

> In article >,
> Bob McConnell > wrote:
>
> > I think the best way to eat guacamole is by dipping it with the corn
> > tortilla chips.

> I happen to agree with you, but this is a diabetic diet newsgroup, Bob.
> Anything based on corn is right out. So I'm wondering what else there
> is to eat this with. Fingers? Celery maybe?

I'll bet it would work great scooped up with cruditees. Or on a lowcarb
burrito. Or a scoop on a salad plate. YUM!

Priscilla, who doesn't put tomatoes in hers, thank you very much

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Howard S Shubs wrote:

> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>

>>is American (Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, etc.), not Mexican. Some restaurants will
>>garnish the dish with one or two tortilla chips (freshly made) but we
>>here are careful about our carbs so I'll leave it out of the recipe.
>>
>>When you serve the traditional guacamole, it is the same colors as the
>>Mexican flag; red, white and green.

> Interesting. What do you eat it with?

You can put it on whatever you want. I just eat it with a fork as a side
dish with meat or chicken.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Priscilla Ballou wrote:

> Priscilla, who doesn't put tomatoes in hers, thank you very much

Then you would be happier to have it served Mexican style with the
tomato and onion on the side. You could mix your own without tomato.
--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

celery, brocolli, cauliflower.......... any veggie
tastes good with guacamole on it ;-) raw carrots,
radishes, asparagus..........

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Howard S Shubs" > wrote in
message

wrote:

> > I think the best way to eat guacamole is by

dipping it with the corn
> > tortilla chips.

> I happen to agree with you, but this is a

diabetic diet newsgroup, Bob.
> Anything based on corn is right out. So I'm

wondering what else there
> is to eat this with. Fingers? Celery maybe?
>
> --
> Is this the right room for an argument?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Susan > wrote:

> I'm type 2 DM, so I don't eat those. I just have it as a side with a
> meal or salad and eat it with a fork.

Forks aren't good for your teeth. ;-D

--
Is this the right room for an argument?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Howard S Shubs > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Bob McConnell > wrote:
>
>> I think the best way to eat guacamole is by dipping it with the
>> corn tortilla chips.

> I happen to agree with you, but this is a diabetic diet newsgroup,
> Bob. Anything based on corn is right out. So I'm wondering what
> else there is to eat this with. Fingers? Celery maybe?

You're generalizing. I can handle a few corn chips with no problem and
can also eat a bit of corn with a meal. We eat Mexican food a lot and
will have some chips while waiting for my chile rellano, taco, tostado,
enchilada or even tamale (if I know the restaurant doesn't go overboard
with the masa).

Guacamole is great on salads (esp taco or tostado salads), or with eggs
(in omelets or on top of scrambled eggs with a bit of low-fat sour
cream)

BTW, if you're on a thiazide diuretic and need to add potassium to your
diet, avocado is *very* high in potassium! It's better than bananas or
oranges! A banana has 422 mg potassium, but 27 grams of carbs. "One
California avocado contains 15 grams of carbohydrate, but 12 grams of
that is fiber, for a usable carb count of just 3 grams! And for those
three grams, you’ll get a whopping 877 milligrams of potassium.
Avocados are also a great source of monounsaturated fats, the same
heart-healthy fats found in olive oil – a real nutritional bargain, all
the way around."

http://www.holdthetoast.com/httblog/...es/000177.html

Sherry

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article 42>,
Sherry > wrote:

> BTW, if you're on a thiazide diuretic and need to add potassium to your
> diet, avocado is *very* high in potassium! It's better than bananas or
> oranges! A banana has 422 mg potassium, but 27 grams of carbs. "One
> California avocado contains 15 grams of carbohydrate, but 12 grams of
> that is fiber, for a usable carb count of just 3 grams! And for those
> three grams, you’ll get a whopping 877 milligrams of potassium.
> Avocados are also a great source of monounsaturated fats, the same
> heart-healthy fats found in olive oil – a real nutritional bargain, all
> the way around."

It's still fat. <grin>

--
Is this the right room for an argument?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Howard S Shubs > wrote:
|| In article >,
|| Bob McConnell > wrote:
||| I think the best way to eat guacamole is by dipping it with
||| the corn tortilla chips.
|| I happen to agree with you, but this is a diabetic diet
|| newsgroup, Bob. Anything based on corn is right out. So I'm
|| wondering what else there is to eat this with. Fingers?
|| Celery maybe?

My wife has found a Soy based tortilla chips with just a little
bit of corn. Same flavor and texture. They are carried at the
local HEB groceries. They are one of their Central Market
brands.

BJ
"He that is good for making excuses, is seldom good for anything
else." -- Benjamin Franklin

--
http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

BJ in Texas wrote:

> My wife has found a Soy based tortilla chips with just a little
> bit of corn. Same flavor and texture. They are carried at the
> local HEB groceries. They are one of their Central Market
> brands.

BJ, don't you find yourself feeling sorry for people who don't have an
HEB in their neighborhood? <g>

Janet, in the RGV filled with HEBs

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Priscilla Ballou wrote:
>
> > Priscilla, who doesn't put tomatoes in hers, thank you very much

> Then you would be happier to have it served Mexican style with the
> tomato and onion on the side. You could mix your own without tomato.

Uh, yes, that's roughly what I do. I use lots of garlic and lemon and a
little salt with the mashed avocado. Love the stuff.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Oh pshaw, On Sun 25 Jun 2006 05:06:29p, Howard S Shubs was muttering about...

> In article >,
> Bob McConnell > wrote:
>
>> I think the best way to eat guacamole is by dipping it with the corn
>> tortilla chips.

> I happen to agree with you, but this is a diabetic diet newsgroup, Bob.
> Anything based on corn is right out. So I'm wondering what else there
> is to eat this with. Fingers? Celery maybe?

I sometimes treat myself to a few tortilla chips. However, mostly I like to
put the guacamole on lettuce on a salad plate and eat it with a fork. I
prefer very chunky guacamole.

--

Wayne Boatwright

I often wonder ...
What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:06:29 -0400, Howard S Shubs >
wrote:

[snip]

> I happen to agree with you, but this is a diabetic diet newsgroup, Bob.
> Anything based on corn is right out.

That Depends.

(wheat is a problem for me, and rice, rather than corn. Perhaps
something to do with glycaemic index? But corn I've not had a problem
with. I just have to account with insulin the amount.)
--
John38 - t1 (LADA) since 2003 : DAFNE (glargine/aspart)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I buy low-carb tortilla(Mission brand) and cut them in to 8's or 10's then I
deep fry them to make chips. I put them in to a zip-top bag they keep for a
few weeks. One shell or 8-10 chips is 5 carbs. It's still a matter of
portion sizes, but then it alway has been. If I'm feeling lazy I just buy
hard shells(7 carbs) and break them in to small pieces.

--
Joe W.
T2 Nov '05

"Howard S Shubs" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> is American (Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, etc.), not Mexican. Some restaurants will
>> garnish the dish with one or two tortilla chips (freshly made) but we
>> here are careful about our carbs so I'll leave it out of the recipe.
>>
>> When you serve the traditional guacamole, it is the same colors as the
>> Mexican flag; red, white and green.

> Interesting. What do you eat it with?
>
> --
> Is this the right room for an argument?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like making chicken with salsa or enchilada sauce....then have Guacamole
on the side...I dip my chicken in it...it is great even without the chips
jacquie

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Howard S Shubs wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>

>>>is American (Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, etc.), not Mexican. Some restaurants will
>>>garnish the dish with one or two tortilla chips (freshly made) but we
>>>here are careful about our carbs so I'll leave it out of the recipe.
>>>
>>>When you serve the traditional guacamole, it is the same colors as the
>>>Mexican flag; red, white and green.

>> Interesting. What do you eat it with?
>>

> You can put it on whatever you want. I just eat it with a fork as a side
> dish with meat or chicken.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> The Road Princess
> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

The best Guacamole recipe mark fisher Recipes 0 20-01-2011 01:11 PM
guacamole recipe War[_4_] Recipes 0 06-08-2010 08:39 PM
Guacamole recipe Dave General Cooking 10 21-07-2009 05:32 PM
Guacamole Recipe leo Mexican Cooking 10 06-03-2004 07:59 AM
Guacamole recipe Dave General Cooking 29 13-10-2003 10:45 PM