FoodBanter.com

-   -   Bread (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/94145-bread.html)

Phil Aypee 18-06-2006 01:07 PM

Bread

Hi,

Before I developed Type 2 diabetes (actually earlier, before I had the stroke) I made my own wholemeal bread.

I'd like to do so again as fresh-baked bread is one of the few luxuries I can afford - if there is a suitable low carbohydrate recipe.
Where I live in the UK I cannot easily get to *proper* shops, I am effectively limited to Sainsbury's and Haitrose (I don't like the John Lewis shops generally).
I could get to Tesco's or Marks & Sparks occasionally.

Any thoughts?

I'd like to know before I order a small breadmaker - and I don't mind throwing most of a loaf away.

Take care,
Phil.

"Time wounds all heels."

Diagnosed Type 2 December 2005
Metformin, 3 × 500 mg
Gliclazide, 2 × 80 mg
Simvastatin, 1 × 40 mg
(and a whole bunch of other stuff for other problems!)

http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
http://www.aypee.me.uk/index.html

TigerLily 18-06-2006 05:30 PM

Bread

phil........ i don't have a recipe for you, but i
would like to tell you that you don't have to
throw out most of the loaf...........

i cut my bread, save some in a plastic wrap on the
counter (enough for 3 or 4 days)......... the rest
of my bread is in the freezer, and i pull it out
slice by slice as i need it

i use the whole loaf

i DO like to wake up to the smell of fresh made
bread...... and i make an oatbran loaf of bread
(from the recipe book that came with the bread
maker)

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Phil Aypee" > wrote
in message

Julie Bove 19-06-2006 01:14 AM

Bread

"Phil Aypee" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Before I developed Type 2 diabetes (actually earlier, before I had the

stroke) I made my own wholemeal bread.

> I'd like to do so again as fresh-baked bread is one of the few luxuries I

can afford - if there is a suitable low carbohydrate recipe.
> Where I live in the UK I cannot easily get to *proper* shops, I am

effectively limited to Sainsbury's and Haitrose (I don't like the John Lewis
shops generally).
> I could get to Tesco's or Marks & Sparks occasionally.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> I'd like to know before I order a small breadmaker - and I don't mind

throwing most of a loaf away.

I still eat small amounts of bread on occasion. I bought a bread maker
because my daughter has food allergies and can't eat wheat, eggs, milk or
other foods. The bread I make for her is usually not the best. Not as good
as wheat bread anyway... But the zucchini bread is wonderful! That one
isn't made in the bread maker, although now that I think of it, I probably
could make it in there. I do usually wind up throwing a lot of the bread
out because the stuff I make for her doesn't keep beyond the 3rd day and
doesn't freeze well.

When I eat it, I usually have just a little sliver so I can see what it
tastes like.

--
See my webpage:

Nicky 21-06-2006 09:28 PM

Bread

"Phil Aypee" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Before I developed Type 2 diabetes (actually earlier, before I had the
> stroke) I made my own wholemeal bread.
>
> I'd like to do so again as fresh-baked bread is one of the few luxuries I
> can afford - if there is a suitable low carbohydrate recipe.

I use my breadmaker only about once a month now - but there's plenty of low
carb recipes out there. Try googling "Pro Bono Publico" and Jane in the
asd.low-carb group for my favourites. Myra's Bread Machine Bread is nice
too.

www.flourbin.co.uk is my favourite source, but Sainsburys isn't bad... doubt
they do gluten though. Holland and Barrett do an OK protein powder if you
want to stick to the high street, although it's vanilla flavoured, a bit odd
in bread - or you can source unflavoured stuff on line too.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine