Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Chilies w/ 2 cheeses & vegetable confetti

I saw this idea in a recent issue of Chile Pepper magazine and had to try it
out.
I've lightened it a bit to suit my meal plan.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Peppers with Two Cheeses and Vegetable Confetti

This dish can go from mild to wild, depending on the peppers you pick. Low
carb and diabetic friendly as well.

Recipe By: Pete & Peggy Romfh
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: Mexican
Main Ingredient: Peppers
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Vegetarian, Low Carb, Meatless, Roast,
Vegetables, Side Dish, Main Dish, Hors dOeuvres, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
4 large Chile Peppers ; - Poblano, bell, anaheim, or jalapeno
1 teaspoon Olive oil
2 cloves Garlic ; - crushed
1/4 cup Green onion ; - diced
1/2 cup Whole corn ; - frozen is fine
1/2 cup Peas ; - Frozen is fine
1/4 cup Carrot ; - shredded fine
1/4 cup Broccoli Slaw ; - shredded fine
4 ounces Neufchatel Cheese ; - at room temp
2 ounces Cheddar cheese ; - shredded fine
1/4 cup Cilantro ; - Chopped
1/8 teaspoon Kosher Salt ; - to taste
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper ; - coarse ground

-= Instructions =-
You need to pick peppers that are large enough to hold some filling. I chose
Anaheims. Briefly roast the peppers over an open flame (or under the
broiler) to blister the skin. Rub off the skin and remove the seeds from
each pepper through a slit down the side. With smaller peppers it may be
easier to remove the top and remove the seeds & veins with an apple corer.
Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sauté the vegetables enough to soften
them (but not so much that they lose color). About 4 - 5 minutes should
work. The add the cheeses and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and
pepper.

Preheat oven to 350°

Using a spoon (or a plastic bag with a corner snipped) fill each pepper
about 90% full. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes
until the cheese is bubbly.

Serve hot.

NOTES:
Your choice of peppers controls the number of peppers you need. Larger
peppers hold more filling so you need fewer. Large jalapeno or caribe
peppers hold a lot less so you'll need more of them. Smaller peppers can be
filled from the top, capped with a bacon strip, and roasted vertically in a
wire rack.

The choice of vegetables is limited only by your imagination and
availability. Go for a mix of colors and flavors.

Using Anaheim peppers each (app 200g) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 210, FatCals: 116, TotFat: 13g
SatFat: 7g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 4g
Chol: 36mg, Na: 200mg, K: 410mg
TotCarbs: 15g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 3g
NetCarbs: 11g, Protein: 9g

Adapted from recipe by Chef Bill Wavrin

** Recipe, with photo, at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe161253 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:
> [...]
> pepper.
>
> Preheat oven to 350°
>
> Using a spoon (or a plastic bag with a corner snipped) fill each pepper
> about 90% full. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes
> until the cheese is bubbly.
>
> Serve hot.
>
> NOTES:
> Your choice of peppers controls the number of peppers you need. Larger
> peppers hold more filling so you need fewer. Large jalapeno or caribe
> peppers hold a lot less so you'll need more of them. Smaller peppers can be
> filled from the top, capped with a bacon strip, and roasted vertically in a
> wire rack.
>
> The choice of vegetables is limited only by your imagination and
> availability. Go for a mix of colors and flavors.
>
> Using Anaheim peppers each (app 200g) serving contains an estimated:

Thanks, Pete!
Stuffed peppers of all kinds are often on our menu.

Vicki