FoodBanter.com

-   -   Curry Wrap--diabetic friendly (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/93250-curry-wrap-diabetic-friendly.html)

Uncle Enrico 05-06-2006 10:10 PM

Curry Wrap--diabetic friendly

Since Nicky introduced me to spelt and gluten flours, I've been making a
"curry wrap." Here's the latest version of the recipe:

The Wrap: (makes 1 large wrap)
1 tbsp each of spelt, gluten, buckwheat, and ground flax
(grind flax seed in your coffee grinder)
1 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
ground cumin
ground cayenne
cinnamon
curry powder (which probably contains the above spices...but needs more of
them :))
water

Form dough into ball with some kneeding and roll into thin, round flatbread.
Use buckwheat flour to keep flatbread from sticking to surfaces.

Heat in large skillet with no oil until done. Try to have this done just in
time to wrap the curry below.
----------------------------------
The Chutney
Smucker's sugarless apricot jam
curry powder, cinnamon, cayenne, cumin etc.
------------------------------------
Curry:
Ground meat--your choice.
Olive oil
Minced garlic
chopped onion
chopped celery
chopped zucchini
A little bit of Splenda
Plus chopped apple, nuts, and maybe a little mango, citrus, or dried fruit.
Ground meat--your choice.

Directions:

Sauteé herbs in olive oil. Add veggies. Add ground meat. Add Splenda and
seasonings. Later add nuts and fruit.

Spread chutney on wrap. Fill with curry. Serve.

Uncle Enrico 06-06-2006 08:59 PM

Curry Wrap--diabetic friendly

Ooops...forgot to say that you need to add curry, cumin, cinnamon and
cayenne to the ground meat curry.

. com...

Pete Romfh[_2_] 06-06-2006 09:19 PM

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> Ooops...forgot to say that you need to add curry, cumin, cinnamon and
> cayenne to the ground meat curry.
>

> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Since Nicky introduced me to spelt and gluten flours, I've been making a
> > "curry wrap." Here's the latest version of the recipe:
> >
> > The Wrap: (makes 1 large wrap)
> > 1 tbsp each of spelt, gluten, buckwheat, and ground flax
> > (grind flax seed in your coffee grinder)
> > 1 tbsp olive oil
> > salt to taste
> > ground cumin
> > ground cayenne
> > cinnamon
> > curry powder (which probably contains the above spices...but needs more of
> > them :))
> > water
> >
> > Form dough into ball with some kneeding and roll into thin, round
> > flatbread. Use buckwheat flour to keep flatbread from sticking to
> > surfaces.
> >
> > Heat in large skillet with no oil until done. Try to have this done just
> > in time to wrap the curry below.
> > ----------------------------------
> > The Chutney
> > Smucker's sugarless apricot jam
> > curry powder, cinnamon, cayenne, cumin etc.
> > ------------------------------------
> > Curry:
> > Ground meat--your choice.
> > Olive oil
> > Minced garlic
> > chopped onion
> > chopped celery
> > chopped zucchini
> > A little bit of Splenda
> > Plus chopped apple, nuts, and maybe a little mango, citrus, or dried
> > fruit.
> > Ground meat--your choice.
> >
> > Directions:
> >
> > Sauteé herbs in olive oil. Add veggies. Add ground meat. Add Splenda and
> > seasonings. Later add nuts and fruit.
> >
> > Spread chutney on wrap. Fill with curry. Serve.

This sounds yummy. I'll have to give it a try.
The idea for chutney makes good sense. Way easier than making it from
scratch.
I'll have to take a shot at a diabetic-friendly version of tamarind
chutney as well.

Pete Romfh

Uncle Enrico 06-06-2006 09:52 PM

Curry Wrap--diabetic friendly

Speaking of tamarind, a flavor I love, I used to buy the seed pods at the
store, break them open and suck on the seeds and the sweet fiber. I always
assumed they were pretty heavy in sugar.

One thing...those tamarind seeds have an amazing glass-like quality to them,
unlike any seeds I've ever seen.

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Uncle Enrico 06-06-2006 10:08 PM

Curry Wrap--diabetic friendly

BTW...thanks for that coleslaw recipe. I quickly made a version of it with
what I had on hand and it was very good...and no mayo...Nice.

I'm going to get some pine nuts and dried cherries ASAP.

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Nicky 07-06-2006 08:27 PM

Curry Wrap--diabetic friendly

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
. com...
> Since Nicky introduced me to spelt and gluten flours, I've been making a
> "curry wrap." Here's the latest version of the recipe:
>
> The Wrap: (makes 1 large wrap)
> 1 tbsp each of spelt, gluten, buckwheat, and ground flax
> (grind flax seed in your coffee grinder)
> 1 tbsp olive oil
> salt to taste
> ground cumin
> ground cayenne
> cinnamon
> curry powder (which probably contains the above spices...but needs more of
> them :))
> water

Made a non-spice version of this to put my egg mayo and watercress in at
lunchtime. Tasty and filling - thanks, Uncle!

I have my latest batch of flatbreads cooling. I'll post the recipe tomorrow,
if they're bg friendly - I haven't eaten a whole one yet, but they taste
good, from the bits I've broken off and nibbled!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine