FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Low Carb Fruit Salsa (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/93193-rec-low-carb-fruit.html)

Pete Romfh[_1_] 05-06-2006 04:39 AM

REC: Low Carb Fruit Salsa

I had an excess of fruit on hand and was tinkering in the kitchen.
I came up with this recipe that both of us loved.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Low Carb Fruit Salsa

A fruit-based salsa with a Sweet-Hot twist. Diabetic Friendly as well. This
versatile dish can be an appetizer, snack, or dessert.

Recipe By: Pete & Peggy Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Fruit
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Vegetarian, Vegan, Low Carb, Meatless, Low
Fat, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Side Dish, Salads, Desserts, Brunch, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
~~ -- Salsa -- ~~
1 cup Strawberries
2 medium Apples (tart, fresh) ; - Cored & sliced
1 medium Mango ; - peeled & diced
2 medium Mexican limes ; - or 1 regular lime
1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon Splenda ; - to taste
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper ; - to taste
1 tablespoon Sugar-Free Preserves ; - I used apricot
~~ -- Cinnamon Chips -- ~~
4 8 inch low-carb tortillas ; - I used Mission brand
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 teaspoons Splenda
1/2 teaspoon Non-stick spray ; - I used olive oil

-= Instructions =-
You can be flexible on the fruit. Any firm fleshed non-citrus fruit (pears,
peaches, apricots, etc.) is fair game for this.

Finely dice the fruits (or use a food chopper) and place them in a
non-metallic bowl. Grate off the zest from the limes, add it to the bowl and
stir. Squeeze the juice of one lime over the fruit. Stir again.

Add remaining ingredients, tasting as you go. With the lime, Splenda and
cayenne you might want to add 1/2, let it meld awhile and adjust later. The
flavor develops as the dish sits in the refrigerator. Let it sit for at
least 30 minutes.

While the salsa is chilling, make the chips. Pre-heat oven to 350°F

Start by mixing the cinnamon and Splenda together. If you have a shaker
bottle that's an ideal place to mix it. Spray each tortilla lightly with
oil then shake the mixture evenly over it. Put them in a stack and cut the
stack into 8 wedges.

Spread the chips evenly on a baking sheet. Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon
mix over the thin spots and slide the sheet into the oven. About 8-10
minutes should make them crispy and lightly brown. Remove and cool slightly.

Serve about 1/2 cup of salsa with four low-carb cinnamon chips.

Each serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 84, FatCals: 18, TotFat: 2g
SatFat: 0g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 0mg, Na: 151mg, K: 98mg
TotCarbs: 20g, Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 6g
NetCarbs: 11g, Protein: 4g

NOTE: You're trying for a balance of flavors. You should have tangy, sweet,
and spicy notes without any one flavor being dominant. Make lots and
experiment with different flavor versions.

** Recipe, with photo, at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe161199 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh