Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Spelt, buckwheat, gluten flour

I just made some flatbread with spelt, bluckwheat and gluten flours. Just
used salt and water and it was nice and chewy--decent flavor. No rise in
blood sugar at 60 and 90 minutes over my pre-flatbread number. This seems
like a diabetic friendly combo.

I want to add some olive oil and curry powder and see what happens.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
. com...
>I just made some flatbread with spelt, bluckwheat and gluten flours. Just
>used salt and water and it was nice and chewy--decent flavor. No rise in
>blood sugar at 60 and 90 minutes over my pre-flatbread number. This seems
>like a diabetic friendly combo.
>
> I want to add some olive oil and curry powder and see what happens.

try adding some thinly sliced scallions but only using the green ends or
snipping some chives into the dough. Maybe a bit of finely chopped grn and
red peppers would add some spicey zip to the flatbread.
Do you have ingredient measurements for the flatbread mix?
Claire
Type 2 - 2003
250 mg X 2 Metformin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for the tip, Claire.
As for measurements, I used 2 Tbsps each of spelt, buckwheat and gluten.
As for salt and water, I just guessed at that.

Here's another wrinkle to the story:

I had good blood sugar results on the first two times I tried this recipe
yesterday. On the third time, I got a spike. Each meal was separated by at
least two hours. The first two meals of this flatbread gave me no rise at 1
hour and 90 minutes. The third meal later in the evening gave me a spike.
At one hour pp on the 3rd meal, I had a 153. The previous readings were
around 107 to 110.

I'm guessing that either the protein in the recipes or the delayed digestion
of the flours had a cumulative effect which hit me in the evening, a time my
blood sugar rises anyway.

"Claire" > wrote in message

> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>I just made some flatbread with spelt, bluckwheat and gluten flours. Just
>>used salt and water and it was nice and chewy--decent flavor. No rise in
>>blood sugar at 60 and 90 minutes over my pre-flatbread number. This seems
>>like a diabetic friendly combo.
>>
>> I want to add some olive oil and curry powder and see what happens.
>>

> try adding some thinly sliced scallions but only using the green ends or
> snipping some chives into the dough. Maybe a bit of finely chopped grn
> and red peppers would add some spicey zip to the flatbread.
> Do you have ingredient measurements for the flatbread mix?
> Claire
> Type 2 - 2003
> 250 mg X 2 Metformin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I added olive oil, curry powder, cumin and a bit of cayenne to the latest
flat bread. This was a big flavor improvement.

"Claire" > wrote in message

> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>I just made some flatbread with spelt, bluckwheat and gluten flours. Just
>>used salt and water and it was nice and chewy--decent flavor. No rise in
>>blood sugar at 60 and 90 minutes over my pre-flatbread number. This seems
>>like a diabetic friendly combo.
>>
>> I want to add some olive oil and curry powder and see what happens.
>>

> try adding some thinly sliced scallions but only using the green ends or
> snipping some chives into the dough. Maybe a bit of finely chopped grn
> and red peppers would add some spicey zip to the flatbread.
> Do you have ingredient measurements for the flatbread mix?
> Claire
> Type 2 - 2003
> 250 mg X 2 Metformin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
.com...
>I added olive oil, curry powder, cumin and a bit of cayenne to the latest
>flat bread. This was a big flavor improvement.

I'm wondering if the oil delayed a spike that was earlier than you tested in
your previous experiments? - although I'm getting good results with that
kind of flour mix too.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Do you use a rolling pin on your flatbread Nicky?

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
> .com...
>>I added olive oil, curry powder, cumin and a bit of cayenne to the latest
>>flat bread. This was a big flavor improvement.

> I'm wondering if the oil delayed a spike that was earlier than you tested
> in your previous experiments? - although I'm getting good results with
> that kind of flour mix too.
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
news
> Do you use a rolling pin on your flatbread Nicky?

I've got two recipes atm - one needs the bread pressed flat by hand, the
other wants a dough that's wet enough to self-level - almost a batter.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 04:38:55 GMT, "Uncle Enrico" >
wrote:

>I just made some flatbread with spelt, bluckwheat and gluten flours. Just
>used salt and water and it was nice and chewy--decent flavor. No rise in
>blood sugar at 60 and 90 minutes over my pre-flatbread number. This seems
>like a diabetic friendly combo.
>
>I want to add some olive oil and curry powder and see what happens.

We've made flatbread using buckwheat and gluten flower. I love them
for breakfast with some sliced fresh fruit. Haven't had them in a long
time, I'll surprise my hubby and make some tomorrow morning.

I make the dough the night before, roll into balls and keep it in the
refrigerator. In the morning all I have to do is press a dough ball in
the flatbread maker and bake it.

Andrea2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote in message
> I make the dough the night before, roll into balls and keep it in the
> refrigerator. In the morning all I have to do is press a dough ball in
> the flatbread maker and bake it.

Sounds interesting - what's a flatbread maker?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote in message
>
>>I make the dough the night before, roll into balls and keep it in the
>>refrigerator. In the morning all I have to do is press a dough ball in
>>the flatbread maker and bake it.

> Sounds interesting - what's a flatbread maker?
>
> Nicky.

A tortilla press? That's what I use.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/9116.html

Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:43:33 +0100, "Nicky"
> wrote:

>"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote in message
.. .
>> I make the dough the night before, roll into balls and keep it in the
>> refrigerator. In the morning all I have to do is press a dough ball in
>> the flatbread maker and bake it.

>Sounds interesting - what's a flatbread maker?
>
>Nicky.

http://flatbread.notlong.com

This is the one I have, only mine is an older model. It works great
for flatbread and tortillas.

There is nothing as good as fresh baked flatbread, ham and eggs for
breakfast.

Andrea2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:43:33 +0100, "Nicky"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote in message
. ..
>>> I make the dough the night before, roll into balls and keep it in the
>>> refrigerator. In the morning all I have to do is press a dough ball in
>>> the flatbread maker and bake it.

>>Sounds interesting - what's a flatbread maker?
>>
>>Nicky.

> http://flatbread.notlong.com

Thanks, guys - not obviously available in the UK, I'll have to hunt one out!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
wrote:

>I just made some flatbread with spelt, bluckwheat and gluten flours. Just
>used salt and water and it was nice and chewy--decent flavor. No rise in
>blood sugar at 60 and 90 minutes over my pre-flatbread number. This seems
>like a diabetic friendly combo.
>
>I want to add some olive oil and curry powder and see what happens.

G'day G'day Uncle Enrico,

Spelt and buckwheat are good grain choices for T2 diabetics. Spelt
(hooded wheat) is a better source of minerals eg magnesium than
ordinary wheat. Someone might like to look them up and make a
comparison.

Buckwheat improves insulin sensitivity thanks to fagopyritol.

http://ars.usda.gov/research/project...406520&fy=2005

Buckwheat and human health
We read about health claims for various foods all the time. Buckwheat
has been in the news recently. Here is a summary of the research that
have come out recently. Most of the work is on rats because human
trials are so expensive. That prevents doctors and nutritionists from
making specific recommendations.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/f...Field_Day.html

Diabetes
In adult-onset diabetes, a cofactor needed to sense the presence of
insulin is a sugar alcohol called chiro-inositol. Insulin is your
body’s way of letting the various organs know that you have eaten
enough. Buckwheat uses fagopyritol, an uncommon molecule based on
chiro-inositol to allow the seeds to dehydrate without killing the
embryo. Fagopyritol breaks down to chiro-inositol in the intestine.
Early work suggests that it can help make diabetics’ bodies respond to
insulin.

High blood pressure
The phenolic compound Rutin strengthens capillary walls to prevent
microhemorrhaging caused by high blood pressure. Powdered buckwheat
leaves are sold by SmithKline Beecham for this medical use in Germany.

High cholesterol
Buckwheat contains a protein that binds cholesterol, but is not
digested. Cholesterol in foods, and even from the bloodstream are
removed from the body on this protein.

Obesity
These three disorders are often associated with obesity. The complex
carbohydrates in buckwheat are also helpful in slowing the development
of obesity in the first place. Programs are being developed by
nutritionists and public health professionals to introduce buckwheat
to the diets of affected people.

While some people are gluten intolerant, many people are not. Gluten
provides protein hence the chewiness. While buckwheat is gluten free,
obviously your flat breads are not.

I'm a little surprised the flat breads had so little effect on your
blood glucose. Spelt has a rather high GI and buckwheat although low
isn't exceptionally low. Part of the secret might be that you are
making thin flat breads. Making flat breads with similar grain mixes
on a tortilla press is one of those things I wanted to do before other
events overtook my interests. Glad so see someone actually doing it.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've been looking to buy a good tortilla press. I'm now thinking cast iron
is the best bet and one that will make 8 inch tortillas. Amazon's reviews
on the aluminum 6 inch models isn't good. Also, the electric ones are said
to be slow.

"Vicki Beausoleil" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote in message
>>
>>>I make the dough the night before, roll into balls and keep it in the
>>>refrigerator. In the morning all I have to do is press a dough ball in
>>>the flatbread maker and bake it.

>> Sounds interesting - what's a flatbread maker?
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

> A tortilla press? That's what I use.
>
> http://www.mexgrocer.com/9116.html
>
> Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

For spice lovers--my latest flatbread concoction is as follows:

1 heaping tbsp each of spelt, gluten, buckwheat, ground flax and yes...soy.

Then...liberal shakings of curry powder, cayenne, cinnamon and cumin plus
one packet of Splenda.

Don't forget salt!

At least one tbsp of olive oil.

Add water and roll in ball.

Roll into flatbread in buckwheat flour to prevent sticking. Heat.

Spread with a quickie chutney made with Smucker's sugar free apricot jam
plus curry, cayenne, cinnamon and cumin.

This is one spicey reduced carb flatbread treat. Decent numbers after.
(The gluten, flax and soy have almost no carb effect--buckwheat is on the
low side for flours and spelt is said to be friendly.)

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
. com...
>I just made some flatbread with spelt, bluckwheat and gluten flours. Just
>used salt and water and it was nice and chewy--decent flavor. No rise in
>blood sugar at 60 and 90 minutes over my pre-flatbread number. This seems
>like a diabetic friendly combo.
>
> I want to add some olive oil and curry powder and see what happens.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:

> "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:43:33 +0100, "Nicky"
> wrote:

>>>Sounds interesting - what's a flatbread maker?
>>>
>>>Nicky.

>>http://flatbread.notlong.com

> Thanks, guys - not obviously available in the UK, I'll have to hunt one out!
>
> Nicky.

Check restaurant supply web sites or gourmet cooking gear sites for a
tortilla press. You might find one in the UK

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Check restaurant supply web sites or gourmet cooking gear sites for a
> tortilla press. You might find one in the UK

Found something promising, sold as a Puri press : ) Mind you, I think I'm
happy to roll them out by hand, for the volumes I'm doing.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>
>>Check restaurant supply web sites or gourmet cooking gear sites for a
>>tortilla press. You might find one in the UK

> Found something promising, sold as a Puri press : ) Mind you, I think I'm
> happy to roll them out by hand, for the volumes I'm doing.
>
> Nicky.

I know this doesn't help Nicky, but we've found a brand called LA
Tortilla Factory that is very high fiber and low carb and available in
the local HEB grocery store. 95% fat free, 11g of carbs and 8 grams of
dietary fiber in the whole wheat ones for a net of 3g. Best part is that
they are quite tastey. The company is in California and their web site
(which I have not tested) is www.latortillafactory.com. The tortillas
are also Kosher and Pareve. They do not effect DH's BGs YMMV as always
with these kind of things.

They do contain oat flour, soy and wheat gluten. They aren't part of our
everyday meals but one of them is nice to have with fajitas.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thank you for your excellent nutrition information, Quentin.

I recently added soy and buckwheat to the flour combination, but I'm sorry
to report that eating one to two flatbreads per day has resulted in a
weight gain and has kicked up my carb appetite, or so it appears.

I've had to cut out the flatbreads entirely. It's back to veggies, nuts and
lean protein for awhile. Perhaps a flatbread once or twice a week won't get
me into trouble.

My best wishes on your full recovery.

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message
> [...]

> carbohydrates in buckwheat are also helpful in slowing the development
> of obesity in the first place. Programs are being developed by
> nutritionists and public health professionals to introduce buckwheat
> to the diets of affected people.
>
> While some people are gluten intolerant, many people are not. Gluten
> provides protein hence the chewiness. While buckwheat is gluten free,
> obviously your flat breads are not.
>
> I'm a little surprised the flat breads had so little effect on your
> blood glucose. Spelt has a rather high GI and buckwheat although low
> isn't exceptionally low. Part of the secret might be that you are
> making thin flat breads. Making flat breads with similar grain mixes
> on a tortilla press is one of those things I wanted to do before other
> events overtook my interests. Glad so see someone actually doing it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> I've been looking to buy a good tortilla press. I'm now thinking cast iron
> is the best bet and one that will make 8 inch tortillas. Amazon's reviews
> on the aluminum 6 inch models isn't good. Also, the electric ones are said
> to be slow.

My tortilla press is made of coated white metal. Plastic wrap (I use a
cut up bread bag) goes between the dough and the press to prevent sticking.

Are you looking for a tortilla cooker? I use a big cast-iron frypan with
no oil. Works like a charm. If your frypan isn't *very* well seasoned, I
would suggest using some vegetable spray.

If your tortillas pillow up when you cook them, it means your
mother-in-law likes you!

Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I don't think my tortillas have pillowed up since my divorce.

"percy" > wrote in message
> Uncle Enrico wrote:
>> I've been looking to buy a good tortilla press. I'm now thinking cast
>> iron is the best bet and one that will make 8 inch tortillas. Amazon's
>> reviews on the aluminum 6 inch models isn't good. Also, the electric ones
>> are said to be slow.
>>

> My tortilla press is made of coated white metal. Plastic wrap (I use a cut
> up bread bag) goes between the dough and the press to prevent sticking.
>
> Are you looking for a tortilla cooker? I use a big cast-iron frypan with
> no oil. Works like a charm. If your frypan isn't *very* well seasoned, I
> would suggest using some vegetable spray.
>
> If your tortillas pillow up when you cook them, it means your
> mother-in-law likes you!
>
> Vicki
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 12:33:34 GMT, "Uncle Enrico" >
wrote:

>Thank you for your excellent nutrition information, Quentin.
>
>I recently added soy and buckwheat to the flour combination, but I'm sorry
>to report that eating one to two flatbreads per day has resulted in a
>weight gain and has kicked up my carb appetite, or so it appears.

G'day G'day Uncle Enrico,

That's sad to hear. My own experience with flat breads was that
they were too concentrated a form of carbs for me. As they say, YMMV.

>I've had to cut out the flatbreads entirely. It's back to veggies, nuts and
>lean protein for awhile. Perhaps a flatbread once or twice a week won't get
>me into trouble.

I think that is a sensible strategy. IMHO it is best to set aside a
specific time to have a treat. It makes it easier to manage and one
doesn't feel deprived. After all one has one's favourite flat breads
every ...

>My best wishes on your full recovery.

Thanks. I expect to hear the results from the biopsy tomorrow. It has
been about twelve days with promises since last Thursday that today
would be the day.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin:
See my low carb pizza recipe. I eliminated the Spelt flour. I don't think
it works well for me...too many carbs. I also cut back on the buckwheat but
kept the Vital Wheat Gluten and added more soy and flax. The bg effect is
great and the weight gain problem seems controlled. The texture of the
flatbread is a bit more cracker-like, not so soft and chewy as the former
recipe, but it's a worthy compromise in my judgment.

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message
> This post not CC'd by email
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 12:33:34 GMT, "Uncle Enrico" >
> wrote:
>
>>Thank you for your excellent nutrition information, Quentin.
>>
>>I recently added soy and buckwheat to the flour combination, but I'm sorry
>>to report that eating one to two flatbreads per day has resulted in a
>>weight gain and has kicked up my carb appetite, or so it appears.

> G'day G'day Uncle Enrico,
>
> That's sad to hear. My own experience with flat breads was that
> they were too concentrated a form of carbs for me. As they say, YMMV.
>

>>I've had to cut out the flatbreads entirely. It's back to veggies, nuts
>>and
>>lean protein for awhile. Perhaps a flatbread once or twice a week won't
>>get
>>me into trouble.

> I think that is a sensible strategy. IMHO it is best to set aside a
> specific time to have a treat. It makes it easier to manage and one
> doesn't feel deprived. After all one has one's favourite flat breads
> every ...
>
>>My best wishes on your full recovery.

> Thanks. I expect to hear the results from the biopsy tomorrow. It has
> been about twelve days with promises since last Thursday that today
> would be the day.
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
> New Zealand, >#,#< [
> / \ /\
> "... and the blind dog was leading."
>
> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:46:36 GMT, "Uncle Enrico" >
wrote:

>Quentin:
>See my low carb pizza recipe. I eliminated the Spelt flour. I don't think
>it works well for me...too many carbs.

G'day G'day Uncle Enrico,

Spelt is a good source of minerals but as you imply it does give
quite a glucose push. I think the problem is that it has a high GI.

>I also cut back on the buckwheat but
>kept the Vital Wheat Gluten and added more soy and flax.

Both soy and flax are better sources of protein.

>The bg effect is
>great and the weight gain problem seems controlled. The texture of the
>flatbread is a bit more cracker-like, not so soft and chewy as the former
>recipe, but it's a worthy compromise in my judgment.

Makes sense to me.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

>Thank you for your excellent nutrition information, Quentin.
>
>I recently added soy and buckwheat to the flour combination, but I'm sorry
>to report that eating one to two flatbreads per day has resulted in a
>weight gain and has kicked up my carb appetite, or so it appears.

Hi Uncle Enrico,

Thank you. I'm glad you are reporting it. It is as important to
report our failures as our successes. That is how we learn from one
another's experience.

>I've had to cut out the flatbreads entirely. It's back to veggies, nuts and
>lean protein for awhile. Perhaps a flatbread once or twice a week won't get
>me into trouble.

The vegetables, nuts and lean protein take a lot of beating for most
people unless they have food intolerance or allergies. Once we try
grain based or fruit based foods we are delving into the area where
caution is well advised.

>My best wishes on your full recovery.

Thanks. I had a rough day yesterday. Didn't feel better till I
vomited. Today is better. There is a temptation to think one's
condition is deteriorating when all that is happening is a
fluctuation.

Tomorrow I should have the results that will determine whether I'm to
have ten or twelve days of etoposide, the cytotoxic drug. On
Wednesday it is likely I'll start my eighth round of etoposide. Here
is hoping for a miracle. Any time in the next three weeks will be
fine. <grin>

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

>Quentin:
>See my low carb pizza recipe. I eliminated the Spelt flour.

Spelt is high GI. It is useful for bread making. Spelt and rye work
well together to make gluten. People think of gluten as being present
in wheat flour. Well that is sort of true. What happens is two
precursors for gluten combine when cooking takes place. With spelt and
rye they each provide generous amounts of a precursor that come
together in the baking process.

> I don't think
>it works well for me...too many carbs. I also cut back on the buckwheat but
>kept the Vital Wheat Gluten and added more soy and flax.

In practice most recipes use added gluten. Adding soy helps. So does
broad bean flour. It is supposed to part of the secret of French
rolls.

> The bg effect is
>great and the weight gain problem seems controlled. The texture of the
>flatbread is a bit more cracker-like, not so soft and chewy as the former
>recipe, but it's a worthy compromise in my judgment.

I must catch up with your recipe. Not for myself but for a friend who
has built a giant pizza oven.