Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cabbage

My diet preference calls for a steady supply of cabbage for albondigas soup,
cole slaw, cabbage rolls and cabbage stir fry. I typically have a ready
supply of cole slaw for snacks.

Well, my local Albertsons gouges me on the cabbage--89 cents a pound. So,
I've been going to Food 4 Less and getting it at half price.

The other day, I bought two giant cabbages at the Wilson Park Farmer's
Market for $1.50 each. Each head was just a little smaller than a
basketball with plenty of green leaf on the outside and tender white leaf
in the center.

Whenever I'm eating coleslaw or cabbage soups, weight maintenance or loss is
much easier because cabbage is so filling, and doesn't contribute to weight
gain.

Sometimes I think that my body expends more energy than it derives from
eating cabbage.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> My diet preference calls for a steady supply of cabbage for albondigas soup,
> cole slaw, cabbage rolls and cabbage stir fry. I typically have a ready
> supply of cole slaw for snacks.
>
> Well, my local Albertsons gouges me on the cabbage--89 cents a pound. So,
> I've been going to Food 4 Less and getting it at half price.
>
> The other day, I bought two giant cabbages at the Wilson Park Farmer's
> Market for $1.50 each. Each head was just a little smaller than a
> basketball with plenty of green leaf on the outside and tender white leaf
> in the center.
>
> Whenever I'm eating coleslaw or cabbage soups, weight maintenance or loss is
> much easier because cabbage is so filling, and doesn't contribute to weight
> gain.
>
> Sometimes I think that my body expends more energy than it derives from
> eating cabbage.

That's why cabbage is a major component of my "Zero Points" soup
recipe.
It's truly a versatile ingredient in a number of diet-friendly dishes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:

> My diet preference calls for a steady supply of cabbage for albondigas soup,
> cole slaw, cabbage rolls and cabbage stir fry. I typically have a ready
> supply of cole slaw for snacks.
>
> Well, my local Albertsons gouges me on the cabbage--89 cents a pound. So,
> I've been going to Food 4 Less and getting it at half price.
>
> The other day, I bought two giant cabbages at the Wilson Park Farmer's
> Market for $1.50 each. Each head was just a little smaller than a
> basketball with plenty of green leaf on the outside and tender white leaf
> in the center.
>
> Whenever I'm eating coleslaw or cabbage soups, weight maintenance or loss is
> much easier because cabbage is so filling, and doesn't contribute to weight
> gain.
>
> Sometimes I think that my body expends more energy than it derives from
> eating cabbage.

We love cabbage. It's so filling and it needs a lot of chewing which
makes you think that you are eating more than you really are <g> It
stretches stir fries, makes soups wonderful and keeps one regular. A
wonder veggie!!

I chop some onion and saute it in a little olive oil until soft. (You
could do this with a piece of bacon and use the grease instead of the
olive oil or even use butter) Then I add shredded cabbage, lots of black
pepper and a little low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth, pop the lid on
the skillet and let it cook until the cabbage is soft but not mush.
Great side dish and very filling.

Wish we could eat more cabbage but we have to somewhat limit green stuff
now that we have to deal with the warfarin and vitamin K business.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
om...
> My diet preference calls for a steady supply of cabbage for albondigas
> soup, cole slaw, cabbage rolls and cabbage stir fry. I typically have a
> ready supply of cole slaw for snacks.

Now I want some cabbage. I've never actually cooked it myself. I've had
cole slaw and I've had it in prepared/take out foods like egg rolls & stir
fried dishes. I've had sauerkraut. But, I've never cooked it or used it in
any recipes myself.

Do you have any easy recipes for someone who's not very good at cooking, and
that also doesn't require 40 different ingredients? I cook for just myself,
and can't afford to buy 8 fresh herbs for one dish and then they all rot,
and $20 goes in the trash.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My coleslaw is as follows (sorry..no measurements).
ingredients:
cabbage
lite mayo
white vinegar
Splenda
coarse pepper
celery seed
paprika (optional)
salt to taste (optional)

I slice the cabbage into strands with a large knife and then cut them again
to shorten the strands.

I spoon lite mayo into a small bowl and slowly stir in white vinegar to get
a dressing with the consistency of a ranch dressing...maybe a little
thicker.

Then I add plenty of Splenda to make it good and sweet. I then season the
slaw with pepper, celery seed and salt to taste (optional).
Albondigas soup--Mexican meatball and cabbage soup:

ingredients:
ground turkey
cabbage
onion-fresh
cilantro
garlic
celery
zucchini
diced tomatoes -- canned
ground cumin
cayenne pepper
chili powder
chicken boullion or flavoring.
oregano
onion flakes
olive oil

directions: sauteé garlic, onions, and celery in olive oil. Add cilantro,
oregano, cumin, chili powder and cayenne to the mix while stirring. Then add
canned diced tomatoes, water and chicken boullion. Add chopped cabbage, and
sliced zucchini. Cover and cook over low heat.

Meanwhile, mix ground turkey with onion flakes, more oregano, chili powder,
cayenne and cumin. When soup is slowly bubbling, form small meatballs and
drop into the soup. Cook until done.

"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
> om...
>> My diet preference calls for a steady supply of cabbage for albondigas
>> soup, cole slaw, cabbage rolls and cabbage stir fry. I typically have a
>> ready supply of cole slaw for snacks.

> Now I want some cabbage. I've never actually cooked it myself. I've had
> cole slaw and I've had it in prepared/take out foods like egg rolls & stir
> fried dishes. I've had sauerkraut. But, I've never cooked it or used it
> in any recipes myself.
>
> Do you have any easy recipes for someone who's not very good at cooking,
> and that also doesn't require 40 different ingredients? I cook for just
> myself, and can't afford to buy 8 fresh herbs for one dish and then they
> all rot, and $20 goes in the trash.
>

> --
> Liz
> Type 1 dx 4/1987
> Minimed Paradigm 715 5/2005

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

>> Do you have any easy recipes for someone who's not very good at cooking,
>> and that also doesn't require 40 different ingredients? I cook for just
>> myself, and can't afford to buy 8 fresh herbs for one dish and then they
>> all rot, and $20 goes in the trash.
>>

>> --
>> Liz
>> Type 1 dx 4/1987
>> Minimed Paradigm 715 5/2005

Cut about 1/4 medium size head cabbage in slices
cut 1/4 onion in small dices or just use onion powder
heat 1 or 2 table spoons oil (olive or seseme) I like the seseme oil
Throw onion and cabbage into skillet in hot oil and stir well, cover
with lid and stir every once in a while takes 6 or seven
minutes....depends on how soft you want the cabbage.
just before you remove from heat pour a little soy sauce or terriaki
sauce in the skillet and stir! Great side dish without 40 different
ingredients! try different sauces just put them in at the last before
removing from heat. Like it hot, try some of the pepper sauces.
Experiment, use diferent dry spices its all good!

--
Trials Make Us Stronger

Until the next great backpack,
Happy Trails
PackMule64
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
om...
> My diet preference calls for a steady supply of cabbage for albondigas

soup,
> cole slaw, cabbage rolls and cabbage stir fry. I typically have a ready
> supply of cole slaw for snacks.
>
> Well, my local Albertsons gouges me on the cabbage--89 cents a pound. So,
> I've been going to Food 4 Less and getting it at half price.
>
> The other day, I bought two giant cabbages at the Wilson Park Farmer's
> Market for $1.50 each. Each head was just a little smaller than a
> basketball with plenty of green leaf on the outside and tender white leaf
> in the center.
>
> Whenever I'm eating coleslaw or cabbage soups, weight maintenance or loss

is
> much easier because cabbage is so filling, and doesn't contribute to

weight
> gain.
>
> Sometimes I think that my body expends more energy than it derives from
> eating cabbage.

Watch that you don't eat too much of it because it's goiterogenic!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ummm...I wanna try this. No cooking! Thanks, Pete.

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Elizabeth Blake wrote:
>> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> My diet preference calls for a steady supply of cabbage
>>> for albondigas soup, cole slaw, cabbage rolls and
>>> cabbage stir fry. I typically have a ready supply of
>>> cole slaw for snacks.

>> Now I want some cabbage. I've never actually cooked it
>> myself. I've had cole slaw and I've had it in
>> prepared/take out foods like egg rolls & stir fried
>> dishes. I've had sauerkraut. But, I've never cooked it
>> or used it in any recipes myself.
>>
>> Do you have any easy recipes for someone who's not very
>> good at cooking, and that also doesn't require 40
>> different ingredients? I cook for just myself, and can't
>> afford to buy 8 fresh herbs for one dish and then they
>> all rot, and $20 goes in the trash.

> Take a look at this recipe for an easy soup that uses cabbage and
> "whatever
> you've got".
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159866
>
> Here's a couple of diet-friendly slaw recipes that might fit your
> situation.
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe158565
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159963
>

> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

>> Sometimes I think that my body expends more energy than it derives from
>> eating cabbage.

> Watch that you don't eat too much of it because it's goiterogenic!
>
> --
> See my webpage:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

Fortunately cabbage is very reasonably priced here and we can get it at any
time. I am however surprised about the goiterogenic effects and that people
with hypothyroidism need to avoid members of the cabbage family.
I looked up the symptoms of hypothyroidism and I am going to ask my Doctor
about my thyroid as I have been having lower than normal heart rates and I
do eat lots of raw cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.

Meantime here is a quick cabbage recipe that I use:

Cabbage and Beef Casserole (Lazy Cabbage Rolls)
5 servings approximately 285 calories each

1 lb. lean hamburger 500g
4 cups shredded cabbage 1 L
½ cup uncooked rice 125 ml
½ cup chopped onion 125 ml
1 tsp. garlic salt 5 ml
½ tsp. pepper 2 ml
1½ cups * Low-Calorie Tomato Sauce
375 ml
½ cup water

Brown hamburger in casserole dish in 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, and place hamburger in colander to drain fat. Place
cabbage in casserole dish, Mix remaining ingredients with hamburger and pour
over cabbage. Cover and bake at 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour.

Note - I add a bit more water or tomato juice, a couple of tbspns. as I find
the rice isn't quite tender enough for me without adding more liquid.

This recipe mentions using Low-Calorie Tomato Sauce so I have included the
recipe here, plus the caloric count for this sauce has been included in the
cabbage recipe already.

Low-Calorie Tomato Sauce
1 cup servings approximately 60 calories each

½ cup finely grated carrots 125 ml
½ cup finely grated onion 125 ml
3 garlic cloves, minced 3
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 5 ml
28 oz. can tomatoes and juice 796 ml
10 oz. can tomato soup 284 ml
1 tsp. dill weed 5 ml
2 tbsp. parsley 30 ml
1 tsp. celery seed 5 ml
3 pkgs sugar substitute (= 6 tsp. [30 ml] sugar) 3 pkgs
1 tsp. salt 5 ml
½ tsp. pepper 2 ml
½ tsp. oregano 2 ml
½ tsp. thyme 2 ml
1 tsp. basil 5 ml
1 tsp. dry mustard 5 ml

Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and mix for about 30
seconds. Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Keep plenty of tomato sauce on hand, you will find many uses for it. It
freezes well.

From:
300 and Under by Flo Niedermayer
Low Calorie Entrées The Whole Family Will Enjoy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for the recipes. The soup looks especially good, though maybe not
until the fall. Definitely saving these for later, though.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"PackMule64" > wrote in message
.. .
> Cut about 1/4 medium size head cabbage in slices
> cut 1/4 onion in small dices or just use onion powder
> heat 1 or 2 table spoons oil (olive or seseme) I like the seseme oil
> Throw onion and cabbage into skillet in hot oil and stir well, cover with
> lid and stir every once in a while takes 6 or seven minutes....depends on
> how soft you want the cabbage.
> just before you remove from heat pour a little soy sauce or terriaki sauce
> in the skillet and stir! Great side dish without 40 different ingredients!
> try different sauces just put them in at the last before removing from
> heat. Like it hot, try some of the pepper sauces. Experiment, use diferent
> dry spices its all good!

This is my kind of recipe. Simple, easily changed. Next time I have an
Asian inspired dinner I'll make this.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Watch that you don't eat too much of it because it's goiterogenic!

Crap! I'm hypothroid, on Levoxyl. Since I don't plan on eating cabbage
every day, I think I'll be safe. I was so happy when my CDE took me off
Lipitor two months ago, because I can finally have grapefruit again.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message

> Take a look at this recipe for an easy soup that uses cabbage and
> "whatever
> you've got".
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159866

I'm not too fond of cold soups. Have you ever heated this one up?

> Here's a couple of diet-friendly slaw recipes that might fit your
> situation.
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe158565
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159963

The slaw looks amazing! Since the weather is now getting hot, that will be
the first one I'll try.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
>
> > Take a look at this recipe for an easy soup that uses cabbage and
> > "whatever
> > you've got".
> > http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159866

> I'm not too fond of cold soups. Have you ever heated this one up?

It's great heated also. I make a large batch and freeze it in 1 cup
servings. Then I can keep some at the office for a quick lo-cal lunch
when time is short and I need to eat something.

> --
> Liz
> Type 1 dx 4/1987
> Minimed Paradigm 715 5/2005

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
>
> > Take a look at this recipe for an easy soup that uses cabbage and
> > "whatever
> > you've got".
> > http://www.bigoven.com/recipe159866

> I'm not too fond of cold soups. Have you ever heated this one up?

It's great heated also. I make a large batch and freeze it in 1 cup
servings. Then I can keep some at the office for a quick lo-cal lunch
when time is short and I need to eat something.

> --
> Liz
> Type 1 dx 4/1987
> Minimed Paradigm 715 5/2005

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:16:29 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>Watch that you don't eat too much of it because it's goiterogenic!

Hello. I have just found this group. I am a 60 yr old F. I was
diagnosed just last week with Type II. I am taking 14 units Lantus and
500mg Metformin BID. My fasting bg is 157. I am also Hypothyroid,
taking 50mcg, Levothyroxine.

This cabbage thing was never mentioned to me. Does this goitergenic
thing bother me while I am on Levothyroxine? I really like the cabbage
family, especially brussels sprouts. What is a safe interval between
days with cabbage on the menu?

Jolanna
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"CATherine" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:16:29 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

> >Watch that you don't eat too much of it because it's goiterogenic!

> Hello. I have just found this group. I am a 60 yr old F. I was
> diagnosed just last week with Type II. I am taking 14 units Lantus and
> 500mg Metformin BID. My fasting bg is 157. I am also Hypothyroid,
> taking 50mcg, Levothyroxine.
>
> This cabbage thing was never mentioned to me. Does this goitergenic
> thing bother me while I am on Levothyroxine? I really like the cabbage
> family, especially brussels sprouts. What is a safe interval between
> days with cabbage on the menu?

This is something you need to talk to your Dr. about. For me, I would never
have cabbage on the menu, nor broccoli. I might add a bit of cabbage to a
soup a couple of times a year. I might have less than a serving of coleslaw
once a year. Other than that I don't eat it.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:07:31 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"CATherine" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:16:29 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Watch that you don't eat too much of it because it's goiterogenic!

>> Hello. I have just found this group. I am a 60 yr old F. I was
>> diagnosed just last week with Type II. I am taking 14 units Lantus and
>> 500mg Metformin BID. My fasting bg is 157. I am also Hypothyroid,
>> taking 50mcg, Levothyroxine.
>>
>> This cabbage thing was never mentioned to me. Does this goitergenic
>> thing bother me while I am on Levothyroxine? I really like the cabbage
>> family, especially brussels sprouts. What is a safe interval between
>> days with cabbage on the menu?

>This is something you need to talk to your Dr. about. For me, I would never
>have cabbage on the menu, nor broccoli. I might add a bit of cabbage to a
>soup a couple of times a year. I might have less than a serving of coleslaw
>once a year. Other than that I don't eat it.

Thanks. I will be seeing her next Tuesday.

And Done: Corned beef and Cabbage in the Cabbage Bowl jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 5 18-03-2016 05:12 PM
cabbage? W. Baker Diabetic 1 05-12-2013 07:06 AM
cabbage? Denise[_4_] Diabetic 0 11-11-2013 11:26 AM
Cabbage for Cabbage Rolls [email protected] General Cooking 18 06-12-2008 04:58 PM
Cabbage Egg Mix FoodBuff Recipes (moderated) 0 17-03-2008 02:40 AM