Diabetic (alt.food.diabetic) This group is for the discussion of controlled-portion eating plans for the dietary management of diabetes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-05-2006, 07:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8
Default junk food for diabetes

junk food for diabetes

Someone told me that candies with no sugar on it and popcorn like
kettle corn are the best "junk foods" for diabetes.
Anyone have other ideas?
Thanks
Mike


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-05-2006, 08:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
 
Posts: n/a
Default junk food for diabetes

There are no candies made without sugar. As for popcorn, the only one I eat
is the one I make. It does not taste as good as the commercial brand
because there is no oil or fat added no to mention the salt.
Here in Canada the food properties are listed on the product. That does not
mean much because there are no agencies controlling what the food processors
are listing on their ingredient labels. The best test I can have is when I
eat something that is labelled as no sugar added, sugarless or artificial
sugar used and my blood sugar goes up I stop buying that food product.

wrote in message
oups.com...
junk food for diabetes

Someone told me that candies with no sugar on it and popcorn like
kettle corn are the best "junk foods" for diabetes.
Anyone have other ideas?
Thanks
Mike



  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-05-2006, 09:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 73
Default junk food for diabetes

In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.


On the contrary, there are many brands and varieties. Most of them are
sweetened with polyols, though, and those can also be a problem for some
people.

Priscilla
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-05-2006, 11:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
 
Posts: n/a
Default junk food for diabetes

There are no candies made without sugar.

Extract from Google

What do Polyols do?

a.. Polyols are derived from sugars, but they are not processed by the
body like sugars. Polyols have many advantages such as reduced calories as
compared to sugar, reduced insulin response, ability to be labelled
"sugar-free" and "no sugar added",
Although the Polyol Comparison Chart shows less calories the data is not
validated by any Governmental food agencies.
You may have less calories but it requires more insulin to process.

While attending diabetic teaching one person used to bring sobitol candies
every day.
Then we decided to take our blood sugar before eating the sugar-free candies
and after. Then we compared the results with people having not ate the
sugar-free candies with those who had. It clearly demonstrated that those
who had the sugar-free candies had a much higher level of sugar.
I was very disappointed.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.


On the contrary, there are many brands and varieties. Most of them are
sweetened with polyols, though, and those can also be a problem for some
people.

Priscilla



  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-05-2006, 06:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 73
Default junk food for diabetes

In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.


Yet right below you talk about Polyols -- which are NOT sugar -- and
"sugar-free" candies sweetened with them.

Your logic is faulty.

Priscilla


Extract from Google

What do Polyols do?

a.. Polyols are derived from sugars, but they are not processed by the
body like sugars. Polyols have many advantages such as reduced calories as
compared to sugar, reduced insulin response, ability to be labelled
"sugar-free" and "no sugar added",
Although the Polyol Comparison Chart shows less calories the data is not
validated by any Governmental food agencies.
You may have less calories but it requires more insulin to process.

While attending diabetic teaching one person used to bring sobitol candies
every day.
Then we decided to take our blood sugar before eating the sugar-free candies
and after. Then we compared the results with people having not ate the
sugar-free candies with those who had. It clearly demonstrated that those
who had the sugar-free candies had a much higher level of sugar.
I was very disappointed.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.


On the contrary, there are many brands and varieties. Most of them are
sweetened with polyols, though, and those can also be a problem for some
people.

Priscilla



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-05-2006, 08:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
 
Posts: n/a
Default junk food for diabetes

Thanks you Priscilla for your reply. I wish I could eat these candies but
they bring my sugar up.
So here at our diabetic teaching center, corroborated by in the field
testing, they do not suggest you eat them thinking that your blood sugar
will not go up. The decision is your. Have a good week end.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.


Yet right below you talk about Polyols -- which are NOT sugar -- and
"sugar-free" candies sweetened with them.

Your logic is faulty.

Priscilla


Extract from Google

What do Polyols do?

a.. Polyols are derived from sugars, but they are not processed by the
body like sugars. Polyols have many advantages such as reduced calories
as
compared to sugar, reduced insulin response, ability to be labelled
"sugar-free" and "no sugar added",
Although the Polyol Comparison Chart shows less calories the data is not
validated by any Governmental food agencies.
You may have less calories but it requires more insulin to process.

While attending diabetic teaching one person used to bring sobitol
candies
every day.
Then we decided to take our blood sugar before eating the sugar-free
candies
and after. Then we compared the results with people having not ate the
sugar-free candies with those who had. It clearly demonstrated that
those
who had the sugar-free candies had a much higher level of sugar.
I was very disappointed.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.

On the contrary, there are many brands and varieties. Most of them are
sweetened with polyols, though, and those can also be a problem for
some
people.

Priscilla



  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-05-2006, 10:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,979
Default junk food for diabetes




wrote in message
...
There are no candies made without sugar. As for popcorn, the only one I

eat
is the one I make. It does not taste as good as the commercial brand
because there is no oil or fat added no to mention the salt.
Here in Canada the food properties are listed on the product. That does

not
mean much because there are no agencies controlling what the food

processors
are listing on their ingredient labels. The best test I can have is when

I
eat something that is labelled as no sugar added, sugarless or artificial
sugar used and my blood sugar goes up I stop buying that food product.


There are sugar free candies. But they're no better for us than the real
ones.

--
See my webpage:
http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-05-2006, 04:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 71
Default junk food for diabetes

In article ,
wrote:

Thanks you Priscilla for your reply. I wish I could eat these candies but
they bring my sugar up.
So here at our diabetic teaching center, corroborated by in the field
testing, they do not suggest you eat them thinking that your blood sugar
will not go up. The decision is your. Have a good week end.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.


Yet right below you talk about Polyols -- which are NOT sugar -- and
"sugar-free" candies sweetened with them.

Your logic is faulty.

Priscilla


Extract from Google

What do Polyols do?

a.. Polyols are derived from sugars, but they are not processed by the
body like sugars. Polyols have many advantages such as reduced calories
as
compared to sugar, reduced insulin response, ability to be labelled
"sugar-free" and "no sugar added",
Although the Polyol Comparison Chart shows less calories the data is not
validated by any Governmental food agencies.
You may have less calories but it requires more insulin to process.

While attending diabetic teaching one person used to bring sobitol
candies
every day.
Then we decided to take our blood sugar before eating the sugar-free
candies
and after. Then we compared the results with people having not ate the
sugar-free candies with those who had. It clearly demonstrated that
those
who had the sugar-free candies had a much higher level of sugar.
I was very disappointed.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.

On the contrary, there are many brands and varieties. Most of them are
sweetened with polyols, though, and those can also be a problem for
some
people.

Priscilla


The fact that they raise your blood sugar does not mean that there is
sugar in the candies. I am not arguing for sugarless candy -- I don't
eat it myself. I am arguing for accuracy.

Priscilla
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-05-2006, 05:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
 
Posts: n/a
Default junk food for diabetes

The fact that they raise your blood sugar does not mean that there is
sugar in the candies. I am not arguing for sugarless candy -- I don't
eat it myself. I am arguing for accuracy.

Priscilla


Your point is well taken. I have been looking for accuracy for a long time.
I wonder if it really exist or is it what you or they make of it
http://www.flatsurv.com/accuprec.htm
The old school that sugar is the culprit in diabetes may have to be updated.
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...tion/sugar.jsp
http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesa/article215.html

Have a good day and don't get to upset at me.

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

Thanks you Priscilla for your reply. I wish I could eat these candies
but
they bring my sugar up.
So here at our diabetic teaching center, corroborated by in the field
testing, they do not suggest you eat them thinking that your blood sugar
will not go up. The decision is your. Have a good week end.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.

Yet right below you talk about Polyols -- which are NOT sugar -- and
"sugar-free" candies sweetened with them.

Your logic is faulty.

Priscilla


Extract from Google

What do Polyols do?

a.. Polyols are derived from sugars, but they are not processed by
the
body like sugars. Polyols have many advantages such as reduced
calories
as
compared to sugar, reduced insulin response, ability to be labelled
"sugar-free" and "no sugar added",
Although the Polyol Comparison Chart shows less calories the data is
not
validated by any Governmental food agencies.
You may have less calories but it requires more insulin to process.

While attending diabetic teaching one person used to bring sobitol
candies
every day.
Then we decided to take our blood sugar before eating the sugar-free
candies
and after. Then we compared the results with people having not ate
the
sugar-free candies with those who had. It clearly demonstrated that
those
who had the sugar-free candies had a much higher level of sugar.
I was very disappointed.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
...
In article ,
wrote:

There are no candies made without sugar.

On the contrary, there are many brands and varieties. Most of them
are
sweetened with polyols, though, and those can also be a problem for
some
people.

Priscilla


The fact that they raise your blood sugar does not mean that there is
sugar in the candies. I am not arguing for sugarless candy -- I don't
eat it myself. I am arguing for accuracy.

Priscilla



  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-05-2006, 03:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,979
Default junk food for diabetes




wrote in message
...
The fact that they raise your blood sugar does not mean that there is
sugar in the candies. I am not arguing for sugarless candy -- I don't
eat it myself. I am arguing for accuracy.

Priscilla


Your point is well taken. I have been looking for accuracy for a long

time.
I wonder if it really exist or is it what you or they make of it
http://www.flatsurv.com/accuprec.htm
The old school that sugar is the culprit in diabetes may have to be

updated.
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...tion/sugar.jsp
http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesa/article215.html

Have a good day and don't get to upset at me.


Actually that old sugar notion hasn't been around for many years. Now of
course the general public still seems to believe this but the medical
profession does not.

--
See my webpage:
http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-05-2006, 03:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
 
Posts: n/a
Default junk food for diabetes

Thanks for your reply. I visited your site and found it interesting. My
daughter gave me the Joslin Diabetic Manual but their web site is more up to
date.


"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news:[email protected]



wrote in message
...
The fact that they raise your blood sugar does not mean that there is
sugar in the candies. I am not arguing for sugarless candy -- I don't
eat it myself. I am arguing for accuracy.

Priscilla


Your point is well taken. I have been looking for accuracy for a long

time.
I wonder if it really exist or is it what you or they make of it
http://www.flatsurv.com/accuprec.htm
The old school that sugar is the culprit in diabetes may have to be

updated.
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...tion/sugar.jsp
http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesa/article215.html

Have a good day and don't get to upset at me.


Actually that old sugar notion hasn't been around for many years. Now of
course the general public still seems to believe this but the medical
profession does not.

--
See my webpage:
http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm




  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-05-2006, 06:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 13
Default junk food for diabetes


Anyone have other ideas?


Hi Mike

For snack and junk I like different nuts, just plain or saltet.. Different
seeds, like pumpkinseeds, are nice too.
They do not have any carbs, and the fat is the good kind of fat, that we
need to keep healthy.
Dried fruit in small amounts, because they have many carbs.. But a litlle
dried pineapple, apple, mango etc can set the urge for sweets..

Fruit or vegetables are also good alternatives, because you get the feeling
of being full.

Home made popcorn are allright as well, as long as they are made low fat..
I take the dried corn and put them in a hot pan with a drop of oil. Then put
the lid on and shake a litlle while they pop. They are done when you no
longer hear the "explosions" from the corn..
Try add different spices for flavour, or some herb-salt..

Just some ideas here from Denmark

Louise
T1 since 1994




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Junk Food Himali General Cooking 0 22-05-2013 08:13 AM
Junk Food PolicySpy General Cooking 9 07-06-2012 01:51 AM
Mexico bans junk foods in schools, now there is nothing to eat in the land of junk food [email protected] General Cooking 5 30-05-2010 10:22 PM
Junk Food - 2 new [email protected] Diabetic 0 27-03-2007 11:40 PM
Junk food Hector Loftus Vegan 3 17-11-2003 09:47 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017