FoodBanter.com

-   -   junk food for diabetes (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/91702-junk-food-diabetes.html)

[email protected] 17-05-2006 07:37 PM

junk food for diabetes

Someone told me that candies with no sugar on it and popcorn like
kettle corn are the best "junk foods" for diabetes.
Anyone have other ideas?
Thanks
Mike

18-05-2006 08:56 PM

junk food for diabetes

There are no candies made without sugar. As for popcorn, the only one I eat
is the one I make. It does not taste as good as the commercial brand
because there is no oil or fat added no to mention the salt.
Here in Canada the food properties are listed on the product. That does not
mean much because there are no agencies controlling what the food processors
are listing on their ingredient labels. The best test I can have is when I
eat something that is labelled as no sugar added, sugarless or artificial
sugar used and my blood sugar goes up I stop buying that food product.

oups.com...

Priscilla H. Ballou 18-05-2006 09:15 PM

junk food for diabetes

In article >,
> wrote:

> There are no candies made without sugar.

On the contrary, there are many brands and varieties. Most of them are
sweetened with polyols, though, and those can also be a problem for some
people.

Priscilla

18-05-2006 11:08 PM

junk food for diabetes

There are no candies made without sugar.

Extract from Google

What do Polyols do?

a.. Polyols are derived from sugars, but they are not processed by the
body like sugars. Polyols have many advantages such as reduced calories as
compared to sugar, reduced insulin response, ability to be labelled
"sugar-free" and "no sugar added",
Although the Polyol Comparison Chart shows less calories the data is not
validated by any Governmental food agencies.
You may have less calories but it requires more insulin to process.

While attending diabetic teaching one person used to bring sobitol candies
every day.
Then we decided to take our blood sugar before eating the sugar-free candies
and after. Then we compared the results with people having not ate the
sugar-free candies with those who had. It clearly demonstrated that those
who had the sugar-free candies had a much higher level of sugar.
I was very disappointed.

Priscilla H. Ballou 19-05-2006 06:08 PM

junk food for diabetes

In article >,
> wrote:

> There are no candies made without sugar.

Yet right below you talk about Polyols -- which are NOT sugar -- and
"sugar-free" candies sweetened with them.

Your logic is faulty.

Priscilla

> Extract from Google
>
> What do Polyols do?
>
> a.. Polyols are derived from sugars, but they are not processed by the
> body like sugars. Polyols have many advantages such as reduced calories as
> compared to sugar, reduced insulin response, ability to be labelled
> "sugar-free" and "no sugar added",
> Although the Polyol Comparison Chart shows less calories the data is not
> validated by any Governmental food agencies.
> You may have less calories but it requires more insulin to process.
>
> While attending diabetic teaching one person used to bring sobitol candies
> every day.
> Then we decided to take our blood sugar before eating the sugar-free candies
> and after. Then we compared the results with people having not ate the
> sugar-free candies with those who had. It clearly demonstrated that those
> who had the sugar-free candies had a much higher level of sugar.
> I was very disappointed.
>
> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> There are no candies made without sugar.

> > On the contrary, there are many brands and varieties. Most of them are
> > sweetened with polyols, though, and those can also be a problem for some
> > people.
> >
> > Priscilla

19-05-2006 08:09 PM

junk food for diabetes

Thanks you Priscilla for your reply. I wish I could eat these candies but
they bring my sugar up.
So here at our diabetic teaching center, corroborated by in the field
testing, they do not suggest you eat them thinking that your blood sugar
will not go up. The decision is your. Have a good week end.

Julie Bove 19-05-2006 10:42 PM

junk food for diabetes

> wrote in message
> There are no candies made without sugar. As for popcorn, the only one I

eat
> is the one I make. It does not taste as good as the commercial brand
> because there is no oil or fat added no to mention the salt.
> Here in Canada the food properties are listed on the product. That does

not
> mean much because there are no agencies controlling what the food

processors
> are listing on their ingredient labels. The best test I can have is when

> eat something that is labelled as no sugar added, sugarless or artificial
> sugar used and my blood sugar goes up I stop buying that food product.

There are sugar free candies. But they're no better for us than the real
ones.

--
See my webpage:

Priscilla Ballou 20-05-2006 04:38 PM

junk food for diabetes

In article >,
> wrote:

> Thanks you Priscilla for your reply. I wish I could eat these candies but
> they bring my sugar up.
> So here at our diabetic teaching center, corroborated by in the field
> testing, they do not suggest you eat them thinking that your blood sugar
> will not go up. The decision is your. Have a good week end.
>
> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> There are no candies made without sugar.

> > Yet right below you talk about Polyols -- which are NOT sugar -- and
> > "sugar-free" candies sweetened with them.
> >
> > Your logic is faulty.
> >
> > Priscilla
> >

> >> Extract from Google
> >>
> >> What do Polyols do?
> >>
> >> a.. Polyols are derived from sugars, but they are not processed by the
> >> body like sugars. Polyols have many advantages such as reduced calories
> >> as
> >> compared to sugar, reduced insulin response, ability to be labelled
> >> "sugar-free" and "no sugar added",
> >> Although the Polyol Comparison Chart shows less calories the data is not
> >> validated by any Governmental food agencies.
> >> You may have less calories but it requires more insulin to process.
> >>
> >> While attending diabetic teaching one person used to bring sobitol
> >> candies
> >> every day.
> >> Then we decided to take our blood sugar before eating the sugar-free
> >> candies
> >> and after. Then we compared the results with people having not ate the
> >> sugar-free candies with those who had. It clearly demonstrated that
> >> those
> >> who had the sugar-free candies had a much higher level of sugar.
> >> I was very disappointed.

The fact that they raise your blood sugar does not mean that there is
sugar in the candies. I am not arguing for sugarless candy -- I don't
eat it myself. I am arguing for accuracy.

Priscilla

20-05-2006 05:23 PM

junk food for diabetes

The fact that they raise your blood sugar does not mean that there is
> sugar in the candies. I am not arguing for sugarless candy -- I don't
> eat it myself. I am arguing for accuracy.
>
> Priscilla

Your point is well taken. I have been looking for accuracy for a long time.
I wonder if it really exist or is it what you or they make of it
http://www.flatsurv.com/accuprec.htm
The old school that sugar is the culprit in diabetes may have to be updated.
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...tion/sugar.jsp
http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesa/article215.html

Have a good day and don't get to upset at me.

Julie Bove 22-05-2006 03:26 AM

junk food for diabetes

> wrote in message
> The fact that they raise your blood sugar does not mean that there is
> > sugar in the candies. I am not arguing for sugarless candy -- I don't
> > eat it myself. I am arguing for accuracy.
> >
> > Priscilla

> Your point is well taken. I have been looking for accuracy for a long

time.
> I wonder if it really exist or is it what you or they make of it
> http://www.flatsurv.com/accuprec.htm
> The old school that sugar is the culprit in diabetes may have to be

updated.
> http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...tion/sugar.jsp
> http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesa/article215.html
>
> Have a good day and don't get to upset at me.

Actually that old sugar notion hasn't been around for many years. Now of
course the general public still seems to believe this but the medical
profession does not.

--
See my webpage:

22-05-2006 03:38 AM

junk food for diabetes

Thanks for your reply. I visited your site and found it interesting. My
daughter gave me the Joslin Diabetic Manual but their web site is more up to
date.

Louise 22-05-2006 06:03 PM

junk food for diabetes

> Anyone have other ideas?

Hi Mike

For snack and junk I like different nuts, just plain or saltet.. Different
seeds, like pumpkinseeds, are nice too.
They do not have any carbs, and the fat is the good kind of fat, that we
need to keep healthy.
Dried fruit in small amounts, because they have many carbs.. But a litlle
dried pineapple, apple, mango etc can set the urge for sweets..

Fruit or vegetables are also good alternatives, because you get the feeling
of being full.

Home made popcorn are allright as well, as long as they are made low fat..
I take the dried corn and put them in a hot pan with a drop of oil. Then put
the lid on and shake a litlle while they pop. They are done when you no
longer hear the "explosions" from the corn..
Try add different spices for flavour, or some herb-salt..

Just some ideas here from Denmark

Louise
T1 since 1994