Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default OT-We took the train

My husbands brother in law died so we flew to Minnesota for the
funeral. We were both disgusted with the wait at the terminal and the
flight. At the last minute, first class was sold out so we were packed
in like sardines. I am a small person, 100 pounds, but I was a wreck
when we arrived. I've never been in such a small space with so many
other people except on a Japanese commuter train (they are something
else).

I told my husband to find a better way to get back home, maybe rent a
car and drive or take the train. He got us on the train, we had a
bedroom all to ourselves. It had a large couch that made into a bed at
night to sleep. It had an easy chair and a tiny bathroom with a
shower. After the attendant was made aware of our food needs, we are
both type 2's, he made sure we had food we could eat. He even got us a
cooler to keep our insulin in and brought ice by regularly. The
scenery passing by the large picture window was fantastic.

If have the time (it took 2 days from Chicago to San Diego) the train
is a present, relaxing way to travel. I even got my exercise in by
jogging up and down the hall outside our room.

Andrea2
Type 2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 08 May 2006 22:52:36 -0700, Andrea2
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote:

>My husbands brother in law died so we flew to Minnesota for the
>funeral. We were both disgusted with the wait at the terminal and the
>flight. At the last minute, first class was sold out so we were packed
>in like sardines. I am a small person, 100 pounds, but I was a wreck
>when we arrived. I've never been in such a small space with so many
>other people except on a Japanese commuter train (they are something
>else).
>
>I told my husband to find a better way to get back home, maybe rent a
>car and drive or take the train. He got us on the train, we had a
>bedroom all to ourselves. It had a large couch that made into a bed at
>night to sleep. It had an easy chair and a tiny bathroom with a
>shower. After the attendant was made aware of our food needs, we are
>both type 2's, he made sure we had food we could eat. He even got us a
>cooler to keep our insulin in and brought ice by regularly. The
>scenery passing by the large picture window was fantastic.
>
>If have the time (it took 2 days from Chicago to San Diego) the train
>is a present, relaxing way to travel. I even got my exercise in by
>jogging up and down the hall outside our room.
>
>Andrea2
>Type 2

Sorry, I ment to post this on ASD..

Andrea
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 08 May 2006 22:52:36 -0700, Andrea2
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote:

On the train they had the most delicious spinach soup I have ever
tasted. I tried to get the complete recipe but all I could get was the
ingredients. I'm not even sure if the ingredients list is complete.

They said it had: Mushrooms, green onions, chicken broth, milk, cream
cheese and swiss cheese in it. Does anyone have a similar recipe?

Andrea2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andrea2 wrote:
> On Mon, 08 May 2006 22:52:36 -0700, Andrea2
> <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote:
>
> On the train they had the most delicious spinach soup I
> have ever tasted. I tried to get the complete recipe but
> all I could get was the ingredients. I'm not even sure if
> the ingredients list is complete.
>
> They said it had: Mushrooms, green onions, chicken broth,
> milk, cream cheese and swiss cheese in it. Does anyone
> have a similar recipe?
>
> Andrea2

I can do some looking but if it was called spinach soup, wouldn't spinach be
one of the ingredients ?

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 11 May 2006 05:06:48 -0700, wrote:

>On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:39:46 -0700, Andrea2 <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 May 2006 22:52:36 -0700, Andrea2
>><andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote:
>>
>>On the train they had the most delicious spinach soup I have ever
>>tasted. I tried to get the complete recipe but all I could get was the
>>ingredients. I'm not even sure if the ingredients list is complete.
>>
>>They said it had: Mushrooms, green onions, chicken broth, milk, cream
>>cheese and swiss cheese in it. Does anyone have a similar recipe?
>>
>>Andrea2

>Sassy Spinach Soup
>
>1/2 cup Onion, chopped
>1 clove Garlic, pressed
>2 Tbsp Butter or margarine
>4 cup Water
>5 Chicken bouillon cubes
>1/2 cup Noodle flakes, uncooked -OR-
>1/2 cup Broken thin noodles,uncooked
>1/2 tsp Salt
>1 pkg (10 oz) frozen, chopped Spinach, thawed, drained
>3 cup Milk
>1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
>1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
>Black pepper to taste
>
>In a 3-quart saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter or margarine
>until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add water and bouillon
>cubes. Bring to a boil; stir to dissolve the bouillon cubes. Add
>noodle flakes or broken thin noodles slowly being sure water
>continues to boil. Add salt. Cook uncovered until tender, about 10
>minutes, stirring occasionally. Squeeze spinach to remove excess
>water. Stir spinach into the noodle mixture and cook 5 minutes
>longer. Stir in the milk, Cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese and pepper.
>Continue stirring over medium-high heat until cheeses are melted. Do
>not boil.
>

>(I would leave out the noodles and add mushrooms and green onions in place of onions.)

This sounds good but the one on the train didn't have noodles in it.
It appeared to be low carb with no source of carbs except the milk.

Andrea2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I hope you tipped the attendant well. It sounds like he above and beyond
for you.

Andrea2 wrote:
> My husbands brother in law died so we flew to Minnesota for the
> funeral. We were both disgusted with the wait at the terminal and the
> flight. At the last minute, first class was sold out so we were packed
> in like sardines. I am a small person, 100 pounds, but I was a wreck
> when we arrived. I've never been in such a small space with so many
> other people except on a Japanese commuter train (they are something
> else).
>
> I told my husband to find a better way to get back home, maybe rent a
> car and drive or take the train. He got us on the train, we had a
> bedroom all to ourselves. It had a large couch that made into a bed at
> night to sleep. It had an easy chair and a tiny bathroom with a
> shower. After the attendant was made aware of our food needs, we are
> both type 2's, he made sure we had food we could eat. He even got us a
> cooler to keep our insulin in and brought ice by regularly. The
> scenery passing by the large picture window was fantastic.
>
> If have the time (it took 2 days from Chicago to San Diego) the train
> is a present, relaxing way to travel. I even got my exercise in by
> jogging up and down the hall outside our room.
>
> Andrea2
> Type 2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:39:46 -0700, Andrea2
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 May 2006 22:52:36 -0700, Andrea2
><andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote:
>
>On the train they had the most delicious spinach soup I have ever
>tasted. I tried to get the complete recipe but all I could get was the
>ingredients. I'm not even sure if the ingredients list is complete.
>
>They said it had: Mushrooms, green onions, chicken broth, milk, cream
>cheese and swiss cheese in it. Does anyone have a similar recipe?
>
>Andrea2

Hi Andrea,

If you like spinach soup, you might enjoy spinach madeline...

Spinach Madeline
2 packages frozen chopped spinach
4 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp.. green Tabasco sauce
2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. chopped onion
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup vegetable liquid
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 tsp. celery salt
1 - 6 oz. roll garlic cheese (cut into small pieces)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Red pepper (to taste)

Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain and reserve
liquor. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat, and add flour, stirring
until blended and smooth, but not brown.

Add onion and cook until soft, but not brown. Add liquid slowly,
stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth and thick;
continue stirring. Add seasonings and cheese. Stir until melted.
Combine with cooked spinach.

This may be served immediately or put in a casserole and topped with
buttered bread crumbs. The flavor is improved if the casserole is kept
in the refrigerator overnight. The dish may also be frozen. Serves 5
to 6.
----------
This recipe was created by Madeline Neville, in the 1950s. Madeline
lives in the area of St. Francisville, Louisiaina... Her recipe was
originally published in the "River Road Recipes" in 1959, by the
Junior League of Baton Rouge... Since then, it has been featured many
times in a number of cookbooks, magazines, and other publications.

Spinach Madeline goes well with just about anything, but it really
goes well with crawfish etoufee, steamed shrimp, crab louie, and
jambalaya... The problem with jambalaya for us diabetics is that it
contains lots of rice, which can be bad, as it is very carby.

Will, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:56:14 -0400, Susan >
wrote:

>> Will, T2

>What's garlic cheese? Is that like Boursin?
>
>I'd swap cream for the evaporated milk, and CarbQuik for the flour, but
>it looks very good as is, too! If it's got hot sauce and garlic, it has
>to be good. ;-)
>
>Susan

Hi Susan,

Boursin would be fine, as long as it is the garlic version... I think
the original Madeline used some sort of Kraft product that is
processed, and which we do not use... I just checked with Tricia, and
she uses a cheddar, or monterey Jack, and either puts in cloves of
garlic, or some more pepper, jalapenos, black pepper, or red
pepper.... I like the garlic, since it already has some pepper, by
virtue of the Tobasco...

We also substitute cream, in place of the evaporated mile.

We skip the bread crumbs, but you could use Ezekiel crumbs, or some
sort of other low carb bread...

Try it. You'll really like it. I promise! :-) We are having it
tonight...

Will, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 13 May 2006 20:13:31 -0400, W.M.McKee > wrote:

>On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:56:14 -0400, Susan >
>wrote:
>
>>> Will, T2

>>What's garlic cheese? Is that like Boursin?
>>
>>I'd swap cream for the evaporated milk, and CarbQuik for the flour, but
>>it looks very good as is, too! If it's got hot sauce and garlic, it has
>>to be good. ;-)
>>
>>Susan

>Hi Susan,
>
>Boursin would be fine, as long as it is the garlic version... I think
>the original Madeline used some sort of Kraft product that is
>processed, and which we do not use... I just checked with Tricia, and
>she uses a cheddar, or monterey Jack, and either puts in cloves of
>garlic, or some more pepper, jalapenos, black pepper, or red
>pepper.... I like the garlic, since it already has some pepper, by
>virtue of the Tobasco...
>
>We also substitute cream, in place of the evaporated mile.
>
>We skip the bread crumbs, but you could use Ezekiel crumbs, or some
>sort of other low carb bread...
>
>Try it. You'll really like it. I promise! :-) We are having it
>tonight...
>
>Will, T2

One last tip... You might try saving the spinach juice, and mix it
with the cream (or half n half). That way you accentuate the flavor
and put the vitamins back in....

Just a suggestion... Our version is healthier than what appears in the
River Road Cookbook...

Will, T2

GRAVY TRAIN Pt. 67 Zed Frehley[_3_] General Cooking 1 22-12-2015 02:54 AM
The Gravy Train KISS Brand Bread Barbecue 0 22-09-2015 06:26 AM
Train Food sf[_9_] General Cooking 92 05-01-2015 01:41 PM
Love Train marika Restaurants 0 06-12-2006 09:53 PM