Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Quiet Pancreas Diet for overweight Type II's

General idea:

3 meals of lean protein and green veggies, plus no more than 6 grams of
quality fast carb: e.g. half slice of Milton's whole grain, high fiber
bread, or 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese, etc.

Between meals: 3 to 5 grams of quality carbohydrate between meals every hour
as needed, e.g. quarter slice of Milton's whole grain bread, or a tablespoon
of cottage cheese, or apple sauce, etc.

The idea is to slow down the output of your own insulin and retrain the
pancreas so that it doesn't trigger hunger with heavy insulin releases. You
should find that you can gradually phase out the number of between-meal
carb doses. After two weeks, you will be very tired of bread.

I lost 55 pounds in 15 months, 45 of it in the first 9 months. This diet
was not strenuous. I went from a BMI of 31.8 to 23.6. I walked daily for
exercise.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That's interesting - it's almost how I'm eating now except my between
meal snacks are fatty protein like nuts and my meal carbs are generally
vegetables or slow carbs like beans.

I've dumped 40 lbs in 3 months doing this, with 7x/week aerobic
exercise and 3x/week weights.

But the hunger still remains - I've been hungrier this week than I was
before, not sure why. Could be new vitamins I'm taking or I'm tripping
off the insulin with diet soda and sugarless gum, both of which I've
recently started using again after a long hiatus.

LQ

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for mentioning fatty proteins. After I got tired of the bread bites,
I began substituting nuts which worked well. I even remember eating a
spoonful of tuna now and then.

Gradually, the carb cravings went away, the hunger subsided, and I was able
to go 3 to 4 hours between meals with no trouble.

I've always suspected sugarless gum chewing of stimulating hunger. I don't
know about soda but I switched to a drink of green tea, cinnamon, fresh
lemon and sweetener and it doesn't trigger hunger--it seems to stave it off.

Best wishes.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> That's interesting - it's almost how I'm eating now except my between
> meal snacks are fatty protein like nuts and my meal carbs are generally
> vegetables or slow carbs like beans.
>
> I've dumped 40 lbs in 3 months doing this, with 7x/week aerobic
> exercise and 3x/week weights.
>
> But the hunger still remains - I've been hungrier this week than I was
> before, not sure why. Could be new vitamins I'm taking or I'm tripping
> off the insulin with diet soda and sugarless gum, both of which I've
> recently started using again after a long hiatus.
>
> LQ

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

One of my "hunger busters" is a teaspoon of half psyllium fiber/half
cinnamon in a glass of water. Let it gunk up a bit (while stirring
well, the chunks make me barf :lol: ) and it's sort of reminiscent of
bland apple sauce.

I drink this between meals sometimes with a snack of nuts or whatever
and it seems to work.

The gum/hunger connection seems to make sense - I read somewhere that
chewing gum stimulates insulin release and if insulin causes hunger
then there it is.
I have weird experiences with gum - if I'm hungry it will sometimes
turn the hunger off. If I'm not hungry it will make me hungry.
I've ended up avoiding it most of the time now, cuz I'm never too sure
what it's going to do.

LQ

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Good "hunger buster" suggestion.

I recently discovered flax pancakes. Basically they're whole flax seed
ground up in a coffee mill. Then you add whole egg or egg white, a little
salt and cook them in a non-stick skillet with a little oil.

Lots of fiber, little or no carb. Has a similar digestive effect as
psyllium fiber.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> One of my "hunger busters" is a teaspoon of half psyllium fiber/half
> cinnamon in a glass of water. Let it gunk up a bit (while stirring
> well, the chunks make me barf :lol: ) and it's sort of reminiscent of
> bland apple sauce.
>
> I drink this between meals sometimes with a snack of nuts or whatever
> and it seems to work.
>
> The gum/hunger connection seems to make sense - I read somewhere that
> chewing gum stimulates insulin release and if insulin causes hunger
> then there it is.
> I have weird experiences with gum - if I'm hungry it will sometimes
> turn the hunger off. If I'm not hungry it will make me hungry.
> I've ended up avoiding it most of the time now, cuz I'm never too sure
> what it's going to do.
>
> LQ

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico > wrote in message
t...
> Good "hunger buster" suggestion.
>
> I recently discovered flax pancakes. Basically they're whole flax seed
> ground up in a coffee mill. Lots of fiber, little or no carb. Has a

similar digestive effect as
> psyllium fiber.

You mean it is a laxative.

PJ

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Was trying to be delicate.

"Peanutjake" > wrote in message

> Uncle Enrico > wrote in message
> t...
>> Good "hunger buster" suggestion.
>>
>> I recently discovered flax pancakes. Basically they're whole flax seed
>> ground up in a coffee mill. Lots of fiber, little or no carb. Has a

> similar digestive effect as
>> psyllium fiber.

> You mean it is a laxative.
>
> PJ
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for this tip! I had some ground flax meal in the fridge and made
a small pancake for myself this AM. It was pretty good!

The texture reminded me of the buckwheat blini (Russian pancakes) I had
made during my Dr. Zhivago obsession :lol: - very similiar taste and
texture. It had a bit of a rubbery bounce that was different from
regular pancakes but wasn't unpleasant at all.

I bet they'd be good with a little smear of sour cream and maybe a
slice of smoked salmon on them.....

And as for it's, err, other effect - it worked very well . I had
weighed myself early this AM (my weekly weighin) and after the pancake
had it's effect I did it again - 5 lbs lighter ::laughing:: .

Obviously there's scale error in there but it does make me wonder if
it's 5 lbs per pancake, if I ate 10 would that get rid of the rest of
the weight I have to lose :lol:?
LQ

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've been making some drop biscuits with 3 parts soy flour, 1 part flax
meal, egg white, Splenda, cinnamon, salt, and chopped walnuts whole flax
seed and roasted sesame. I coat the bottom of the biscuit with whole flax
seed to keep the biscuits from sticking to the tray.

I bake the biscuits in my countertop electric oven. They're great and of
course have that mild effect we've been talking about.

Oh...almost no BG spike for this Type II, one hour PP.

Sometimes I mix in chopped fresh Granny Smith apple.

ups.com...