FoodBanter.com

-   -   Splenda mint julep? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/90349-splenda-mint-julep.html)

[email protected] 02-05-2006 07:34 PM

Splenda mint julep?

Being as Kentucky Derby weekend is coming up I was wondering if any of
you guys ever tried to make a mint julep with Splenda instead of sugar.

And I was also wondering about the bourbon - I haven't had any alcohol
at all since I discovered my blood sugar problem (reactive hypoglycemia
with probably IGT) and I was wondering what it does to blood sugar.
According to the food counter book I have it was listed as 0 carbs but
I'm not sure if I believe it.

I loooove bourbon, hope I can have it someday....

LQ

Julie Bove 03-05-2006 02:07 AM

Splenda mint julep?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Being as Kentucky Derby weekend is coming up I was wondering if any of
> you guys ever tried to make a mint julep with Splenda instead of sugar.
>

> And I was also wondering about the bourbon - I haven't had any alcohol
> at all since I discovered my blood sugar problem (reactive hypoglycemia
> with probably IGT) and I was wondering what it does to blood sugar.
> According to the food counter book I have it was listed as 0 carbs but
> I'm not sure if I believe it.
>
> I loooove bourbon, hope I can have it someday....

Chuck posted a recipe once for one that uses diet ginger ale and splenda.
Hopefully he won't mind my reposting it. And he said that when his wife
makes it she doesn't use the pineapple.

GINGER MINT JULEP

1/2 c. fresh mint leaves
1 qt. ginger ale
6 lemons
1/2 c. Splenda
Pineapple spear

Boil Splenda in 1/2 cup water for 3 minutes. Pour over juice of the
lemons and crushed mint leaves. Let stand at least 1 hour. When ready
to serve, add ice- cold ginger ale, fresh mint leaves and spear of
pineapple.

Pan Ohco 03-05-2006 07:17 PM

Splenda mint julep?

On Wed, 03 May 2006 01:07:46 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Being as Kentucky Derby weekend is coming up I was wondering if any of
>> you guys ever tried to make a mint julep with Splenda instead of sugar.
>>

>> And I was also wondering about the bourbon - I haven't had any alcohol
>> at all since I discovered my blood sugar problem (reactive hypoglycemia
>> with probably IGT) and I was wondering what it does to blood sugar.
>> According to the food counter book I have it was listed as 0 carbs but
>> I'm not sure if I believe it.
>>
>> I loooove bourbon, hope I can have it someday....

>Chuck posted a recipe once for one that uses diet ginger ale and splenda.
>Hopefully he won't mind my reposting it. And he said that when his wife
>makes it she doesn't use the pineapple.
>
>GINGER MINT JULEP
>
> 1/2 c. fresh mint leaves
>1 qt. ginger ale
>6 lemons
>1/2 c. Splenda
>Pineapple spear
>
> Boil Splenda in 1/2 cup water for 3 minutes. Pour over juice of the
>lemons and crushed mint leaves. Let stand at least 1 hour. When ready
>to serve, add ice- cold ginger ale, fresh mint leaves and spear of
>pineapple.

Make a simple syrup with the splenda.
Crush the mint in the cup add bourbon (zero carbs) and top off with
syrup.
--
Pan Ohco
I would like to see the bottom of my monitor, but I have cats.

Spooge Geeko[_1_] 07-05-2006 05:13 AM

Splenda mint julep?

On 2 May 2006 11:34:32 -0700, wrote:

>Being as Kentucky Derby weekend is coming up I was wondering if any of
>you guys ever tried to make a mint julep with Splenda instead of sugar.
>

>And I was also wondering about the bourbon - I haven't had any alcohol
>at all since I discovered my blood sugar problem (reactive hypoglycemia
>with probably IGT) and I was wondering what it does to blood sugar.
>According to the food counter book I have it was listed as 0 carbs but
>I'm not sure if I believe it.
>
>I loooove bourbon, hope I can have it someday....
>
>LQ

If you are drinking bourbon, a tsp of sugar isn't an issue
Many doctors will tell you the occassional drink isn't going to kill
you.
A lot of drinks on the other hand, will.
Buy the best bourbon you can afford, use sugar, and don't do it very
often.