Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default A tale of Tesco and Ice-Cream

Ok here's one for the English market.
Firstly I'm not diabetic, but my wife and handicapped son both are.
He recently expressed a (not unreasonable) desire for ice-cream, so I
searched the net found a supplier and an indication that Tesco stocked it.
My wife enquired at the customer service desk at S****horpe branch and was
told that they would enquire in to it and phone us back.
A week later a call came saying they would have it in stock the following
day. We waited one extra day, went in to find NO ice-cream.
Ok if you're with me thus far, this is the interesting bit -
On asking at customer service, a summoned freezer operative started into
haranguing my wife with a diatribe about them NEVER having stocked diabetic
ice-cream.
She made no attempt to hear what my wife was trying to tell her, talking at
here rather than to her, so I tried to interject and was told in no
uncertain terms to keep out of it she was talking to my wife not me.
I managed to communicate to the girl on the desk that they had phoned us!
They could find no trace on their computer of any request for the ice cream,
and then asked if we had a name of the person who phoned <gasp!> erm no it's
not the first thing that comes to mind.
She then went on to suggest that perhaps we were mistaken about which branch
we'd asked at <Grrrrr>.
Time for a sharp exit.

Outcome is we went down the road to Morrisons who had, and have for a while
had, diabetic ice cream in stock.
Every little helps.

Djimbo.
[To err is human]
[To Moo...........Bovine]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"djimbo" > wrote in message
> Ok here's one for the English market.
> Firstly I'm not diabetic, but my wife and handicapped son both are.
> He recently expressed a (not unreasonable) desire for ice-cream, so I
> searched the net found a supplier and an indication that Tesco stocked it.

I use Wall's Cornish Cream ice cream - it's got 11g CHO per 100g, tastes
excellent, and has no sugar alcohols. It's also available in every
supermarket in the land at non-inflated prices.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"djimbo" > wrote in message
> Ok here's one for the English market.
> Firstly I'm not diabetic, but my wife and handicapped son both are.
> He recently expressed a (not unreasonable) desire for ice-cream, so I
> searched the net found a supplier and an indication that Tesco stocked it.
> My wife enquired at the customer service desk at S****horpe branch and was
> told that they would enquire in to it and phone us back.
> A week later a call came saying they would have it in stock the following
> day. We waited one extra day, went in to find NO ice-cream.
> Ok if you're with me thus far, this is the interesting bit -
> On asking at customer service, a summoned freezer operative started into
> haranguing my wife with a diatribe about them NEVER having stocked

diabetic
> ice-cream.
> She made no attempt to hear what my wife was trying to tell her, talking

at
> here rather than to her, so I tried to interject and was told in no
> uncertain terms to keep out of it she was talking to my wife not me.
> I managed to communicate to the girl on the desk that they had phoned us!
> They could find no trace on their computer of any request for the ice

cream,
> and then asked if we had a name of the person who phoned <gasp!> erm no

it's
> not the first thing that comes to mind.
> She then went on to suggest that perhaps we were mistaken about which

branch
> we'd asked at <Grrrrr>.
> Time for a sharp exit.
>
> Outcome is we went down the road to Morrisons who had, and have for a

while
> had, diabetic ice cream in stock.
> Every little helps.

First, there is no such thing as diabetic ice cream. If you mean sugar free
ice cream, that might not be any better for a diabetic than regular ice
cream. In fact, many diabetics eat regular ice cream. It just has to be
factored into the diet.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "djimbo" > wrote in message
>> Ok here's one for the English market.
>> Firstly I'm not diabetic, but my wife and handicapped son both are.
>> He recently expressed a (not unreasonable) desire for ice-cream, so I
>> searched the net found a supplier and an indication that Tesco stocked
>> it.

> I use Wall's Cornish Cream ice cream - it's got 11g CHO per 100g, tastes
> excellent, and has no sugar alcohols. It's also available in every
> supermarket in the land at non-inflated prices.
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/74/72Kg

Hiya Nicky.
I'm all new to this business.
Thanks for the helpfull suggestion, I'll look into it (or a supermarket
freezer :-)
The suggestions I'm getting seem to indicate that there is actualy no such
thing as diabetic ice-cream
(although the stuff Morrisons sells does appear to bear the words - Diabetic
ice cream).
My belief rightly or wrongly is that they can get away from the sugar side
of the problem by using only fructose?
I suppose the low fat side is the same as all the low fat stuff that fills
the shelves today?

best regards.
jim.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"djimbo" > wrote in message

> Hiya Nicky.
> I'm all new to this business.
> Thanks for the helpfull suggestion, I'll look into it (or a supermarket
> freezer :-)
> The suggestions I'm getting seem to indicate that there is actualy no such
> thing as diabetic ice-cream
> (although the stuff Morrisons sells does appear to bear the words -

Diabetic
> ice cream).
> My belief rightly or wrongly is that they can get away from the sugar side
> of the problem by using only fructose?
> I suppose the low fat side is the same as all the low fat stuff that fills
> the shelves today?

I'm not Nicky, but fructose is one of the worst things a diabetic can have.
It is not just sugar that raises BG but all carbs. Fructose is no better in
terms of BG than sugar is. But the problem with fructose in diabetics is
that it has been linked to heart problems. It is something we should avoid.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

djimbo > wrote:
|| My belief rightly or wrongly is that they can get away from
|| the sugar side of the problem by using only fructose?

Fructose is sugar. It has been implicated in heart problems.

BJ
Read: http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

"Logic is not everything. But it is something--something which
can be taught, something which can be learned, something which
can help us in some degree to think more sensibly about the
dangerous world in which we live." -- David Hackett Fischer,
Historians' Fallacies: Toward a Logic of Historical Thought,
Harper & Row, 1970, p. 306.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"djimbo" > wrote in message
> The suggestions I'm getting seem to indicate that there is actualy no such
> thing as diabetic ice-cream
> (although the stuff Morrisons sells does appear to bear the words -
> Diabetic ice cream).
> My belief rightly or wrongly is that they can get away from the sugar side
> of the problem by using only fructose?
> I suppose the low fat side is the same as all the low fat stuff that fills
> the shelves today?

Hi, Jim - the more I read labels, the more I'm convinced that Diabetic
anything is generally to be avoided. I happen to be one of the 50% or so of
people who use some sugar alcohols like they were sugar, so they're no good
for me. Fructose is not a good idea anyway. And low fat stuff is generally
made that way by stuffing it with carbs - and fast carbs, at that. I'd
rather eat normal stuff, in quantities dictated by my meter.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/74/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:05:53 +0100, "djimbo" >
wrote:

>Ok here's one for the English market.
>Firstly I'm not diabetic, but my wife and handicapped son both are.
>He recently expressed a (not unreasonable) desire for ice-cream, so I
>searched the net found a supplier and an indication that Tesco stocked it.
>My wife enquired at the customer service desk at S****horpe branch and was
>told that they would enquire in to it and phone us back.
>A week later a call came saying they would have it in stock the following
>day. We waited one extra day, went in to find NO ice-cream.
>Ok if you're with me thus far, this is the interesting bit -
>On asking at customer service, a summoned freezer operative started into
>haranguing my wife with a diatribe about them NEVER having stocked diabetic
>ice-cream.
>She made no attempt to hear what my wife was trying to tell her, talking at
>here rather than to her, so I tried to interject and was told in no
>uncertain terms to keep out of it she was talking to my wife not me.
>I managed to communicate to the girl on the desk that they had phoned us!
>They could find no trace on their computer of any request for the ice cream,
>and then asked if we had a name of the person who phoned <gasp!> erm no it's
>not the first thing that comes to mind.

G'day G'day Djimbo,

It sounds like you had a rough deal. FWIIW, I find it helpful in
such circumstance to agree. Agree with the principle that THEY state
as some new found rule of life. In this case getting the name of the
person to blame. Hey, they are playing the blame game, our intention
is simply to play it better.

Say something simple like, "YES ... it IS important to get people's
names correctly. It solves so many future problems from ever
happening. <Wait for agreement. Never barrel ahead till you have
their agreement to their rule.>

"What is your name?"
"Have I spelt it correctly?"
"What is your official position."

"What is the manager's name?"
"Have I spelt that correctly?"

>She then went on to suggest that perhaps we were mistaken about which branch
>we'd asked at <Grrrrr>.

Agree.

Say something simple like,

"I agree, this IS the wrong store to come to. Time everyone knew."

>Time for a sharp exit.
>
>Outcome is we went down the road to Morrisons who had, and have for a while
>had, diabetic ice cream in stock.
>Every little helps.

It is tough being a diabetic or even shopping for them at first but it
does get better.

>Djimbo.
>[To err is human]
>[To Moo...........Bovine]

I think it is the sig file that most attracted me to reply to you
post. It showed me you wanted to do something more about the
situation than vent.

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> First, there is no such thing as diabetic ice cream. If you mean sugar free
> ice cream, that might not be any better for a diabetic than regular ice
> cream. In fact, many diabetics eat regular ice cream. It just has to be
> factored into the diet.

My new grocery store doesn't seem to have any appropriate ice cream.
Every sugar-free ice cream is low-fat. Given that the fat slows down
the bg rise, this isn't really any better than just regular ice cream.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:04:19 -0500, Jackie Patti
> wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> First, there is no such thing as diabetic ice cream. If you mean sugar free
>> ice cream, that might not be any better for a diabetic than regular ice
>> cream. In fact, many diabetics eat regular ice cream. It just has to be
>> factored into the diet.

>My new grocery store doesn't seem to have any appropriate ice cream.
>Every sugar-free ice cream is low-fat. Given that the fat slows down
>the bg rise, this isn't really any better than just regular ice cream.

Buy good old-fashioned normal fat normal carbs unadulterated
ice-cream and eat a little less of it. Tastes better too.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Psyllium, Fibre, Muesli and Nuts

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:11:14 +1100, Alan S
> wrote:

>Buy good old-fashioned normal fat normal carbs unadulterated
>ice-cream and eat a little less of it. Tastes better too.
>

>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Hi Alan,

The better the quality the lower the GI.
40 is a reasonable estimate.

Locally we can get excellent icecream with lots of real fruit eg
blueberries, boysenberries, strawberries, tamarillos. It is one way
to get one's polyphenols. Amongst other benefits polyphenols will
recycle Vit C and Vit E.

Because it satisfies one feels like eating less. Poor quality often
drives one to eat more in the vain hope of gaining satisfaction.
Even two tablespoons is enough to satisfy.

OK, the cream is a source of saturated fat. There is no denying that.
IMHO whenever you tweak the tail by eating something that perhaps you
shouldn't you need to be certain you are gaining some distinct benefit
and for the intake to be self regulating. Some polyphenols reduce the
risk of CHD so perhaps it balances out. Those in walnuts do.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

UK only Tesco Fizz £9.50 JT Wine 0 14-05-2011 08:36 AM
Tesco just can't get a break Mark Thorson General Cooking 0 02-10-2009 07:01 PM
Tesco in the news again, Andy Mark Thorson General Cooking 5 27-09-2009 11:44 PM
Tesco - A Multicultural Problem St Georges Day April 23rd General Cooking 50 19-04-2008 08:29 PM
Tesco comes to the US Dimitri General Cooking 6 20-07-2007 05:09 PM