Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Indian Makhani Gravy

In India sauces are referred to as "gravy". This is one of the best ones
I've ever had.
It goes well on chicken, lamb, eggs, lentils, and many other foods.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Makhani Gravy

This flavorful sauce is good on chicken, lamb, lentils, idli's, koftas, and
many other dishes. Make lots and freeze it in serving sized portions.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 12
Cuisine: Indian
Main Ingredient: Tomatoes
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Vegetarian, Low Carb,
Meatless, Vegetables, Sauces, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
28 ounces Tomatoes, crushed ; - one large can
1 large Onion ; - chopped
4 cloves garlic ; - peeled & chopped
1 ounce ginger root ; - 1 inch, peeled, chopped
6 whole Cloves ; - or 1 tsp ground (laung)
1 ounce Cinnamon stick ; - 2-3" piece
1/2 cup Pumpkin ; - chopped (Kaddu)
2 teaspoons Olive oil
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds ; - (Jeera)
1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek leaves ; (Kasuri Methi)
2 teaspoons Chilli Powder ; - Indian, not Texas
2 teaspoons Low Fat Milk
1 teaspoon Cornstarch
1 teaspoon Splenda
1/2 teaspoon Salt ; - to taste
1 teaspoon lemon juice

-= Instructions =-
In a large pot (I use a Dutch oven) combine the tomatoes, onions, ginger,
cloves, cinnamon, and pumpkin with 1/2 cup of water. Cook on low heat until
all the vegetables are soft (about 15 mins). Allow the mixture to cool while
finding and discarding the cloves and cinnamon stick.

Blend the mixture to a smooth puree in a blend, food processor, or food
mill. Rinse a bit more water around the pat and pour that in with the
mixture. Take care when blending the mixture if it is anything more than
warm. Getting splashed with hot, sticky liquid is not part of this recipe.

In the (semi-clean) pot heat the oil then add the cumin seeds. In about 30
seconds they will start crackle or "splutter". Add the fenugreek stir for 30
seconds then add the chilli. In another 30 seconds add 1/4 cup of water to
stop things from burning. You'll want to have the ventilation fan running or
be near a window as this process is "very aromatic", especially the hot
chilli.

Now add the pureed tomato mixture and splenda. Bring this to a low boil.
Adjust the flavor with salt and lemon juice. An extra dash of red pepper can
go here if you like things spicier.

Blend the cornstarch into the cold milk and drizzle 1/2 of this into the
simmering sauce. Stir as you go and allow the mixture to thicken before
adding more. You want to thicken the gravy, not gel it into a solid, lumpy
mess.

Simmer the gravy for a few minutes then spoon it over the other food. It
goes well with so many different foods both vegetarian and white meats. I've
also served it with hard boiled eggs.

The gravy will keep, frozen, for up to 2 months although it usually gets
used up a lot sooner.

Each (1 cup) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 54, FatCals: 12, TotFat: 1g
SatFat: 0g, Polyfat: 0g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 0mg, Na: 194mg, K: 294mg
TotCarbs: 11g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 1g,
NetCarbs: 8g, Protein: 2g

Adapted from recipe by Mrs. Tarla Dalal of Mumbai, India

** Recipe, with photo, at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160899 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:
> Each (1 cup) serving contains an estimated:
> Cals: 54, FatCals: 12, TotFat: 1g
> SatFat: 0g, Polyfat: 0g, MonoFat: 1g
> Chol: 0mg, Na: 194mg, K: 294mg
> TotCarbs: 11g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 1g,
> NetCarbs: 8g, Protein: 2g

Thanks for the interesting recipe, Pete. I wonder if I could ask you
what recipe calculator you use. I am very interested in the breakdowns
and haven't found one that is as detailed as yours.

TIA

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> Each (1 cup) serving contains an estimated:
>> Cals: 54, FatCals: 12, TotFat: 1g
>> SatFat: 0g, Polyfat: 0g, MonoFat: 1g
>> Chol: 0mg, Na: 194mg, K: 294mg
>> TotCarbs: 11g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 1g,
>> NetCarbs: 8g, Protein: 2g

> Thanks for the interesting recipe, Pete. I wonder if I
> could ask you what recipe calculator you use. I am very
> interested in the breakdowns and haven't found one that
> is as detailed as yours.
>
> TIA

I do my recipes in BigOven. It has a calculator built in.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>Pete Romfh wrote:
>>
>>>Each (1 cup) serving contains an estimated:
>>>Cals: 54, FatCals: 12, TotFat: 1g
>>>SatFat: 0g, Polyfat: 0g, MonoFat: 1g
>>>Chol: 0mg, Na: 194mg, K: 294mg
>>>TotCarbs: 11g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 1g,
>>>NetCarbs: 8g, Protein: 2g

>>Thanks for the interesting recipe, Pete. I wonder if I
>>could ask you what recipe calculator you use. I am very
>>interested in the breakdowns and haven't found one that
>>is as detailed as yours.
>>
>>TIA

> I do my recipes in BigOven. It has a calculator built in.

thank you.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Romfh
Makhani Gravy
Just an FYI, in Hindi, 'Makhani' means 'butter.' I'm sure this is a delicious recipe, but if you're going to use olive oil rather than butter, you might want to change the name of the dish.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

scott123 wrote:
> Pete Romfh Wrote:
>> Makhani Gravy

> Just an FYI, in Hindi, 'Makhani' means 'butter.' I'm sure
> this is a delicious recipe, but if you're going to use
> olive oil rather than butter, you might want to change
> the name of the dish.

Namaste!
Thanks for the info, My Hindi is limited to about 20 words, mostly foods and
greetings.
The traditional version uses butter. This version, suggested by Mrs. Tarla
Dalal, is a lightened one that has the traditional flavor but is a bit
"healthier".

Take a look at: http://www.tarladalal.com/Recipe.asp?id=4062 for her
version which I adapted to U.S. measures.