Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Rec: Poached Salmon

We love salmon and eat a lot of it. We get salmon fillets at the
Costco or Sams club and poach them for use through the week.

This is our own recipe, and is made with Japanese ingredients.

2 pound salmon fillet
2 cups water (enough to make liquid 1/2 - 3/4 inches deep)
1/4 cup Ponzu* vinegar (or juice of 1/2 lemon)
1 teaspoon Hon-Dashi* powder (or chicken base powder)
1/2 cup sake (or white wine)
3 large scallions, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger root

Mix all ingredients and bring to boil in large skillet with a tight
cover. Cut salmon fillet in half if it won't fit in skillet.

Lower heat to a slow boil and add the salmon and cover. Salmon is done
in about 3 minutes. We have a glass cover and watch it, when it turns
light pink in the top center, it is done. Remove immediately, can be
eaten warm but we usually let it cool. Then cut into serving size
pieces and refrigerate for use in salads or other meals.

I like to add some vegetables to the poaching liquid, like carrots,
broccoli etcm cook and eat as a soup.

* Ponzu vinegar is a rice vinegar seasoned with citrus
* Hon-Dashi is a bonito stock base used in Japanese cooking.

Andrea2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andrea2 wrote:
> We love salmon and eat a lot of it. We get salmon fillets at the
> Costco or Sams club and poach them for use through the week.
>
> This is our own recipe, and is made with Japanese ingredients.
>
> 2 pound salmon fillet
> 2 cups water (enough to make liquid 1/2 - 3/4 inches deep)
> 1/4 cup Ponzu* vinegar (or juice of 1/2 lemon)
> 1 teaspoon Hon-Dashi* powder (or chicken base powder)
> 1/2 cup sake (or white wine)
> 3 large scallions, chopped
> 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger root
>
> Mix all ingredients and bring to boil in large skillet with a tight
> cover. Cut salmon fillet in half if it won't fit in skillet.
>
> Lower heat to a slow boil and add the salmon and cover. Salmon is done
> in about 3 minutes. We have a glass cover and watch it, when it turns
> light pink in the top center, it is done. Remove immediately, can be
> eaten warm but we usually let it cool. Then cut into serving size
> pieces and refrigerate for use in salads or other meals.
>
> I like to add some vegetables to the poaching liquid, like carrots,
> broccoli etcm cook and eat as a soup.
>
> * Ponzu vinegar is a rice vinegar seasoned with citrus
> * Hon-Dashi is a bonito stock base used in Japanese cooking.
>
> Andrea2

Sounds like a delicious portmanteau dish :-) I may make some up this
weekend for next week's lunches

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

An alternative preparation for salmon is as follows.

Place salmon, fillet or steak, on a large sheet of foil. Pour over some
liquid (amount not critical, you are aiming to steam the fish not give it
post mortal swimming lessons), a dry white wine would be excellent. Add
fresh herbs of your choice - Parsley or tarragon perhaps. Add some spring
onions (scallions for those of you on the left hand side of the Atlantic)
and season well.

Fold the foil up and seal the fish in. Leave enough space in the parcel for
the liquid to steam.

Place parcel on the top shelf of your dish washer and run it at a normal
heat setting. Perhaps best not to add detergent!!

Result - one perfectly steamed salmon.

Brian

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Rec: Steamed Salmon

Hi Brian,

I haven't got a dishwasher (except me)!

What temperature oven would you recommend.

Take care,
Phil.

"Time wounds all heels."

http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
http://www.aypee.me.uk/index.html

Diagnosed December 2005
Metformin, 3 × 500 mg
Gliclazide, 2 × 80 mg
Simvastatin, 1 × 40 mg
(and a whole bunch of other stuff for other problems)

An alternative preparation for salmon is as follows.

Place salmon, fillet or steak, on a large sheet of foil. Pour over some
liquid (amount not critical, you are aiming to steam the fish not give it
post mortal swimming lessons), a dry white wine would be excellent. Add
fresh herbs of your choice - Parsley or tarragon perhaps. Add some spring
onions (scallions for those of you on the left hand side of the Atlantic)
and season well.

Fold the foil up and seal the fish in. Leave enough space in the parcel for
the liquid to steam.

Place parcel on the top shelf of your dish washer and run it at a normal
heat setting. Perhaps best not to add detergent!!

Result - one perfectly steamed salmon.

Brian

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Steamed Salmon

"Phil Aypee" > wrote in message
> Hi Brian,
>
> I haven't got a dishwasher (except me)!
>
> What temperature oven would you recommend.
>
> Take care,
> Phil.

I don't think its too critical as the salmon is steaming rather than baking.
Try about 150 deg C for about 30min

Brian>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This is cool !!
I can clean up from one meal and prepare the next all at the same time.
=

Now I'll need to raise the temp on the hot water in the washing machine
so I can boil shrimp and corn while i get me laundry done.

Ain't technology grand ??

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> This is cool !!
> I can clean up from one meal and prepare the next all at the same time.
> =
>
> Now I'll need to raise the temp on the hot water in the washing machine
> so I can boil shrimp and corn while i get me laundry done.
>
> Ain't technology grand ??

There's also the "putting your dinner on the car engine" school of cooking,
too : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 17 Apr 2006 09:45:42 -0700, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>This is cool !!
>I can clean up from one meal and prepare the next all at the same time.
>=
>
>Now I'll need to raise the temp on the hot water in the washing machine
>so I can boil shrimp and corn while i get me laundry done.
>
>Ain't technology grand ??

One minor glitch - as he said, don't add detergent:-)

I'll continue to use the stove or the BBQ.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2006 09:45:42 -0700, "Pete Romfh"
> > wrote:
>
>> This is cool !!
>> I can clean up from one meal and prepare the next all at
>> the same time. =
>>
>> Now I'll need to raise the temp on the hot water in the
>> washing machine so I can boil shrimp and corn while i
>> get me laundry done.
>>
>> Ain't technology grand ??

> One minor glitch - as he said, don't add detergent:-)

But I always clean the fish before I cook 'em.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I think I'd remove the Jetdry before I tried it. (JET-DRY® products are
non-toxic and will not leave a hazardous film on your dishes.) It might be
non-toxic and it shouldn't get into your wrapped fish, but I'd remove it
anyways. JMHO
--
Joe W.
T2 Nov '05

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Alan S wrote:
>> On 17 Apr 2006 09:45:42 -0700, "Pete Romfh"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> This is cool !!
>>> I can clean up from one meal and prepare the next all at
>>> the same time. =
>>>
>>> Now I'll need to raise the temp on the hot water in the
>>> washing machine so I can boil shrimp and corn while i
>>> get me laundry done.
>>>
>>> Ain't technology grand ??

>> One minor glitch - as he said, don't add detergent:-)
>>

> But I always clean the fish before I cook 'em.
>

> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Scowcroft" > wrote in
:

> An alternative preparation for salmon is as follows.
>
> Place salmon, fillet or steak, on a large sheet of foil. Pour over
> some liquid (amount not critical, you are aiming to steam the fish
> not give it post mortal swimming lessons), a dry white wine would be
> excellent. Add fresh herbs of your choice - Parsley or tarragon
> perhaps. Add some spring onions (scallions for those of you on the
> left hand side of the Atlantic) and season well.
>
> Fold the foil up and seal the fish in. Leave enough space in the
> parcel for the liquid to steam.
>
> Place parcel on the top shelf of your dish washer and run it at a
> normal heat setting. Perhaps best not to add detergent!!
>
> Result - one perfectly steamed salmon.
>
> Brian

Sounds like a way to use a lot of water and heat. A normal wash cycle
for my dishwasher uses 8.6 gallons of water and takes 94 minute to run.
A "light wash" takes 7.0 gallons and runs 94 minutes and a "rinse and
hold" uses 4.3 gallons and runs 12 minutes. I don't have the energy
sheet showing how many kwh the washer uses. Not to mention the use of
the aluminum foil, which uses a *lot* of energy to produce. I avoid
using foil, although I do have a roll in the drawer. It'll probably
last me a few years at the amount of foil I use!

Now let's see... how long would it take to cook the fish in a steamer?
3 minutes and 2 cups of water.....

It sounds a lot cheaper and environmentally sensitive, not to mention
quicker, to just poach or steam the fish in the normal manner.

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> "Scowcroft" > wrote in
> :
>
>> An alternative preparation for salmon is as follows.
>>
>> Place salmon, fillet or steak, on a large sheet of foil. Pour over
>> some liquid (amount not critical, you are aiming to steam the fish
>> not give it post mortal swimming lessons), a dry white wine would be
>> excellent. Add fresh herbs of your choice - Parsley or tarragon
>> perhaps. Add some spring onions (scallions for those of you on the
>> left hand side of the Atlantic) and season well.
>>
>> Fold the foil up and seal the fish in. Leave enough space in the
>> parcel for the liquid to steam.
>>
>> Place parcel on the top shelf of your dish washer and run it at a
>> normal heat setting. Perhaps best not to add detergent!!
>>
>> Result - one perfectly steamed salmon.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> Sounds like a way to use a lot of water and heat. A normal wash cycle
> for my dishwasher uses 8.6 gallons of water and takes 94 minute to run.
> A "light wash" takes 7.0 gallons and runs 94 minutes and a "rinse and
> hold" uses 4.3 gallons and runs 12 minutes. I don't have the energy
> sheet showing how many kwh the washer uses. Not to mention the use of
> the aluminum foil, which uses a *lot* of energy to produce. I avoid
> using foil, although I do have a roll in the drawer. It'll probably
> last me a few years at the amount of foil I use!
>
> Now let's see... how long would it take to cook the fish in a steamer?
> 3 minutes and 2 cups of water.....
>
> It sounds a lot cheaper and environmentally sensitive, not to mention
> quicker, to just poach or steam the fish in the normal manner.
>
> Sherry

I'm sure your way faster & more the norm. I think the point of it was to
show people how easy fish can be to cook. Generally, people like try to find
new & creative ways to cook(which I'm all for). I just did a smoked fish the
way Alton Brown does it on "Good Eats", using a cardboard box, wooden dowels
& saw dust, it was a riot(fun). I'm sure my smoker would have done it well,
this was just more fun.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show...245800,00.html
Remember: if you do the same old thing, the same old way, you get the same
old results.

BTW: The smoked fish is excellent and their way almost no cleanup. lol
--
Joe W.
T2 Nov '05
30mg Actos, 500mg Cinnamon, 80-100 carbs/day &
30 minute walk & BowFlex 3x/week

Poached Salmon Zeppo[_2_] General Cooking 33 08-04-2010 01:37 AM
Poached Salmon redux Zeppo General Cooking 9 24-03-2010 03:48 AM
Crock-Pot Poached Salmon International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 12-01-2008 07:18 PM
Tea Poached Wild Salmon Anna Tea 0 06-02-2007 09:00 PM
Foolproof Poached Salmon Betsy Recipes (moderated) 0 04-01-2006 06:35 AM