Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default sort of portable instant soup...

I make a pot of this on a Sunday, portion it into six each 4 ounce
containers and freeze them.

Carrot - between 2 to 3 ounces. Chantennay Carrots have a great flavour.
Swede - or - Rutabaga - the same weight.
Celery - a large stick.
a 2-3 ounce courgette.
1 Garlic Clove.
A small Leek.
2-3 leaves of Curly Cale.
The smallest red bell pepper you can get hold of.

I mince all the veggies, except the Leek, through the rough plate, (you
could just grate them all finely)
Into a pot with just enough water to cover. A TIGHT fitting lid.
Simmer for 5 Minutes, take off the lid and let most of the liquid evaporate
down. NO SEASONINGS at all.
Once you have a thick potage, cool it and portion it for freezing.

As required - take out a container of the concentrated soup and mix it in a
pot, with at least a half pint of water to which you have added an OXO
Cube - ONE cube makes a half pint of "stock" and they come in Beef, Chicken,
Lamb, Vegetable, Chinese, Italian and Indian Flavours. Boil it up and you
have soup. A different flavour every day.
If using KNORR Cubes - use 3/4 Pint water to reconstitute the cubes. Knorr
do Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Fish, Vegetable, Pork, and even Tom Yum flavour
cubes.

Add animal proteins or Beans as you wish. I dont bother, except for the Tom
Yum - I add some very small portions of Prawn and Crab.
The resulting pint or more of soup is very satisfying and virtually no
impact on BG's.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"See Hear" > wrote in
:

> I make a pot of this on a Sunday, portion it into six each 4 ounce
> containers and freeze them.
>
> Carrot - between 2 to 3 ounces. Chantennay Carrots have a great
> flavour. Swede - or - Rutabaga - the same weight.
> Celery - a large stick.
> a 2-3 ounce courgette.
> 1 Garlic Clove.
> A small Leek.
> 2-3 leaves of Curly Cale.
> The smallest red bell pepper you can get hold of.

Maybe it's just where I live, but what the heck a

Chantennay carrots???
Swede??? (If it's anything like a rutabaga, I'll leave that out!)
Courgette??
Curly Cale? (do you mean Kale? That's what I used to feed my guinea pig
<g>)

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Maybe it's just where I live, but what the heck a
>
> Chantennay carrots???
> Swede??? (If it's anything like a rutabaga, I'll leave that out!)
> Courgette??
> Curly Cale? (do you mean Kale? That's what I used to feed my guinea pig
> <g>)
>
> Sherry

Chantennay is just a variety of carrot. Use whatever is best locally.

Swede is I think rutabega - like a large turnip but with a yellow flesh.
Actually quite high GI so test to see it's effect on you. Wonderfully
tasty. I used to love it mashed instead of potatoes, or mixed with
potatoes.

Courgette is Zucchini (sp?)

Curly Cale/Kale is a wonderful vegetable you are wasting on your rabbit.
Enjoy it finely sliced or shredded and stir fried or even steamed, add a
litttle garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice. One of the best green
vegetables in winter. Look out for non curly varieties such as black kale -
a seriously fine tasting veg.

Brian

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

...... you are wasting on your rabbit

or even your Guinea Pig!!!

> Brian

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> Maybe it's just where I live, but what the heck a
>
> Chantennay carrots???

Carrots.

> Swede??? (If it's anything like a rutabaga, I'll leave that out!)

rutabaga

> Courgette??

zucchini

> Curly Cale? (do you mean Kale? That's what I used to feed my guinea pig
> <g>)

Kale. My guinea-pigs and I fight for it - although I prefer mine sautéed
with onion and bacon : ) Gorgeous stuff. Seriously, if you've never tried
it - do.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Scowcroft" > wrote in
:

<snip>
> Curly Cale/Kale is a wonderful vegetable you are wasting on your
> rabbit. Enjoy it finely sliced or shredded and stir fried or even
> steamed, add a litttle garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice. One of
> the best green vegetables in winter. Look out for non curly
> varieties such as black kale - a seriously fine tasting veg.
>
> Brian

Guinea Pig.

Tried it once at a five-star restaurant. That was the veggie they
served with their dinners. Good thing they had a side of spinach
available. I thought the kale was horrid - tough, strong flavored. I
couldn't figure out why such a fine restaurant would serve such a nasty
thing. I'm quite adventurous in eating and rarely go YUCK, but I did
with this stuff. Maybe it's an acquired taste?

My guinea pig enjoyed it much more than I did! (It's frequently on
dinner plates as a garnish and we'd bring it home to him along with
parsley) Shame we no longer have the guinea pig. He was quite fun and
we miss him.

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article 42>,
Sherry > wrote:

> "Scowcroft" > wrote in
> :
>

> <snip>
> > Curly Cale/Kale is a wonderful vegetable you are wasting on your
> > rabbit. Enjoy it finely sliced or shredded and stir fried or even
> > steamed, add a litttle garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice. One of
> > the best green vegetables in winter. Look out for non curly
> > varieties such as black kale - a seriously fine tasting veg.
> >
> > Brian
> >

> Guinea Pig.
>
> Tried it once at a five-star restaurant. That was the veggie they
> served with their dinners. Good thing they had a side of spinach
> available. I thought the kale was horrid - tough, strong flavored. I
> couldn't figure out why such a fine restaurant would serve such a nasty
> thing. I'm quite adventurous in eating and rarely go YUCK, but I did
> with this stuff. Maybe it's an acquired taste?
>
> My guinea pig enjoyed it much more than I did! (It's frequently on
> dinner plates as a garnish and we'd bring it home to him along with
> parsley) Shame we no longer have the guinea pig. He was quite fun and
> we miss him.

Kale needs to be cooked a lot. Crisp is *not* good.

One of my favorite winter soups is a kale and sausage soup. It takes c.
4 cups of choppped kale, a pound of sausage, a can of stewed tomatoes,
and, if you can deal with the carbs, a can of white beans. I let it
simmer all afternoon. It's wonderful.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My favorite way to cook kale is to rinse it well and put it in a
saucepan with just the water that clings to it. Then turn the heat on
low, cover it tightly, and cook it about 20 minutes on very low until
it's nice and tender. Then serve it with apple cider vinegar!

That soup sounds delightful--I will definitely try it with some Italian
turkey sausage, especially since cannelini beans are so low carb.