Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Scots & Irish ONLY - Probably

Hi again Folksies.

As a life-long lover of Tattie Scones, I Thought I'd give these new Vivaldi
Potatoes the once over.
Boiled - with Salt - they are quite tasteless and nothing I did seemed to
improve the flavour. Just no "Spud" taste.

I boiled the last of the Batch with extra salt, drained and dried them,
then - my usual recipe - to a Pound of Potatoes mashed with 2 ounces of
Butter and a little white pepper, allowed to get completely cold, then to
each pound of potato mix, 3 ounces of plain flour added and gently blended
in, minimal mixing. (or they get hellish tough)
Left to rest for a couple of hours, then portioned and pinned out to 1/8"
Inch thickness and plate sized, cut in four quarters and cooked on the
Girdle for two minutes each side - they took on great colour and LOOKED the
part, but there was an absence of the usual "Tattie Scones Cooking" aromas.
My auld neebur was in while I was doing the cooking and she took one and
buttered it - said not my usual.

Once the first lot were cooled, I fried some with an egg.
Tasteless!
With HP Sauce - only tasted the sauce.

So, MY verdict on these wonderful potatoes is - DONT BOTHER.

Incidentally - ONLY ever for a Sunday Breakfast - the only day I throw
caution to the winds...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:32:35 +0100, "See Hear"
> wrote:

>Hi again Folksies.
>
>As a life-long lover of Tattie Scones, I Thought I'd give these new Vivaldi
>Potatoes the once over.
>Boiled - with Salt - they are quite tasteless and nothing I did seemed to
>improve the flavour. Just no "Spud" taste.
>
>I boiled the last of the Batch with extra salt, drained and dried them,
>then - my usual recipe - to a Pound of Potatoes mashed with 2 ounces of
>Butter and a little white pepper, allowed to get completely cold, then to
>each pound of potato mix, 3 ounces of plain flour added and gently blended
>in, minimal mixing. (or they get hellish tough)
>Left to rest for a couple of hours, then portioned and pinned out to 1/8"
>Inch thickness and plate sized, cut in four quarters and cooked on the
>Girdle for two minutes each side - they took on great colour and LOOKED the
>part, but there was an absence of the usual "Tattie Scones Cooking" aromas.
>My auld neebur was in while I was doing the cooking and she took one and
>buttered it - said not my usual.
>
>Once the first lot were cooled, I fried some with an egg.
>Tasteless!
>With HP Sauce - only tasted the sauce.
>
>So, MY verdict on these wonderful potatoes is - DONT BOTHER.
>
>Incidentally - ONLY ever for a Sunday Breakfast - the only day I throw
>caution to the winds...

Tasteless or not - reading that recipe it's hard to work out
what a serve was but I'd love to know what your BGs were an
hour afterwards. Potato AND flour?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Each scone, is ABOUT an ounce and a half.
Two scones, a portion.
Like I say, I throw caution to the winds on a Sunday morning, a big fry-up -
but I have a pretty long walk to church afterwards...and the same four miles
back.