Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default And now for something completely different

I often cook meals for an elderly neighbour, but when it involves Broad
Beans, I have to peel them as she can't chew the tough rubbery outer skins.
Today, making a Broad Bean and Avocado "Cooling" dip to accompany a Mexican
Style Corn Beef Hash, I had to peel almost a half pound of the beans - they
are a BRILLIANT Emerald Green once peeled, and as I peeled them, thought
about what I might do with the skins.
They cant have much in the way of available sugar in any Carbohydrate value?
Just tough fibre, really - or am I wrong?
Anyway, got out the Deep-Fryer, set it to VERY hot, and after tossing the
skins a bit on kitchen paper to get as much water out as possible, dropped
in the skins and moved them about until a deep golden straw colour.
Drained well on more kitchen paper, and while still warm, tossed in a light
mixture of powdered sea-salt and Hot Paprika Powder. Not a lot of it, just
enough to add a tiny bit of flavour.
Left until cold, they were very crisp and tasty - I put a little dish of
them on the tray with her meal.
I'll have them as "Popcorn" tonight, with home made Limeade, watching CSI
Miami.
Would appreciate any thoughts on Carb Values?

Has anyone else come up with ideas like that?

Incidentally - the Hash Recipe if anyone wants to try or comment on it....

I realise that "Corned Beef" is a different thing entirely on the West side
of the Pond, but here in UK at least, it comes in a square-ish can, and it's
made from 100% Beef - nothing added apart from some salt and possibly but
not probably, some Nitrates to make it Pinkish in appearance. I once saw a
recipe for "Corned Beef" from the US and it looked to be totally different
from what I recognise. However, it may have been just a Kosher recipe, which
I have tasted in a whopper sandwich many years ago.
Right then.

1 Standard size Can Corned Beef (Cheapo is better for this - there are less
additives in the cheaper brands - Read the label - Cheap Supermarket
"Loss-Leader" Corned Beef is ideal)
A Large Onion, Diced, and a smaller Onion diced too - but reserve the
smaller one for the Garnish.
A Green Chili Pepper, deseeded and pulverised with 2 Cloves Garlic. (More
Chili if you want it hotter - this is quite mild)
A small (7 Oz) can Plum Tomatoes, chopped, juices & seeds kept.
A small Green Sweet Pepper, diced small. Same with a Red one.
A stick of Celery, diced small.
A 14 Oz Can of Red Kidney Beans, well Drained and Rinsed a few times in
running waters.
4 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced and fried in hot oil until crispy, then
drained - rolled in a Kitchen Papor - This is part of the Garnish too.
An Amount of Small diced Green and Red Bell Peppers - same VOLUME as the
small onion (above) as part of the Garnish.
1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder.
2 Oz Corn Oil for cooking.
Wholemeal Pita Bread to acompany.
Some Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) Leaves to Garnish, or Parsley - whichever
taste you prefer.

In a hefty Saute Pan, heat the Corn Oil.
Fry the Large Diced Onion for a minute until it softens.
Toss in the diced Sweet Peppers & Celery - swizzle round a bit, then add the
Cumin Powder and let that fry a bit too.
Now Dozzle in the Green Chili & Garlic puree, fry that a minute longer -
don't let it catch on the bottom of the pan - keep it moving.
Into the pan - the chopped tomatoes with juice and seeds - and a tiny amount
of water.
Now dice up the Corned Beef as fine or rough as you like, and drop that into
the pan too.
Add a tad salt & a hefty pinch of Splenda Granulated and let it simmer for
20 Minutes, stirring frequently. As fats rise, skim them off if you want to.
Add the drained Kidney Beans and let them become quite hot.
Corect the seasoning and it's ready to serve.

Pile into a Ramekin or larger serving bowl, and in separate bowls/plates
alongside, the pitta - warmed and pocket-split, a little plain yogurt. A
dish of chopped Lettuce.
Garnish the Hash right on top of the bowl, with a little spoonful of the Raw
Onion and Bell Peppers Mixture, finish it off with some Leaves of Coriander
or Parsley.

To Drink? Ice Cold water, whizzed with an Egg-White, Splenda and 2 Limes.
Strained and poured over Crushed Ice in a Manhattan Glass.
Mmmmmm!!!
I have NO idea what this will do to anyone else, but PP+1 & PP+2 it has no
appreciable effect.
Comments?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:49:20 +0100, "See Hear"
> wrote:

>Would appreciate any thoughts on Carb Values?

No idea of carb values - but I'd be very wary of the salt
and fat content. What sort of oil did you fry in? At very
high temps you also increase the chance of creating transfat
from vege oils.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

MAZOLA Corn Oil.

The skins were tossed onto absorbent kitchen paper after frying to remove as
much oil as possible.
The salt used was minimal.

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:49:20 +0100, "See Hear"
> > wrote:
>
>>Would appreciate any thoughts on Carb Values?

> No idea of carb values - but I'd be very wary of the salt
> and fat content. What sort of oil did you fry in? At very
> high temps you also increase the chance of creating transfat
> from vege oils.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 2x500mg
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:54:50 +0100, "See Hear"
> wrote:

>MAZOLA Corn Oil.
>
>The skins were tossed onto absorbent kitchen paper after frying to remove as
>much oil as possible.
>The salt used was minimal.

I do something similar when I cook chips for my wife. I cook
the peel from the potatoes in a similar way - but I'm
careful to not let the oil (peanut) get to "smoking" point.
I also drain the oil, but I accept that it's a high fat
snack, so I keep the portion small. I don't add any salt.

Try an experiment next time. Note how much oil you put in
the skillet/fryer, and measure what is left when you drain
it. The difference was in the meal, allowing for the small
amount that drained on the kitchen paper (which is also
measurable by weight with good scales). The result will
surprise you.

But, I'd still eat them - just not often:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thankyou for that Alan,
My scales are pretty accurate, so I WILL try that suggestion measuring the
fat left in the food itself - that would be very interesting and a way of
passing time - of which I have an abundance!
The Oil NEVER is allowed to get to a smoke-point. I use a thermometer -
although there IS one already on the fryer as part of the machine. Quite an
expensive professional model made by FALCON, of Falkirk in Scotland. (I got
it cheap in an equipment clear-out at a shipyard's Director's Kitchen
closedown) It was originally meant to be used for making individual portions
of whatever, and as Bar use. I got it for £100.
I use the fryer very infrequently and the oil is changed after every fourth
use. (It's pretty Bulky & heavy - hence the infrequent use!)
That was it's first use since January.
All Calendared!

Also - I'm not about to start peeling Broad Beans on a regular basis! It
was just a tryout thing.
Cheers.

news