Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Zucchini and potato hash browns?

Has anyone tried mixing these two? I frequently get zucchini in my organic
produce box and the only thing that seems to go over well in this house is
zucchini bread. I do add a bit of zucchini to soup if I happen to have it
around. And when I made lasagna (no more because of the food allergies) I'd
add it to that. Otherwise my husband and daughter don't really care for it.
They do like hash browns though. I was wondering if this would work since
they sort of shred like a potato and they can be deep fried. Then again,
they might not like the has browns because of the green bits in them. It
was just a thought. Would be one way of making hash browns less carby. And
yes, I know I could just try this myself but I was curious to know of anyone
else has tried it and what the results were. I read somewhere about a
person who always added carrots to their mashed potatoes. I did try that
one and can't say that I cared for it.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article <4FjYf.9484$zk4.3281@trnddc05>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Has anyone tried mixing these two? I frequently get zucchini in my organic
> produce box and the only thing that seems to go over well in this house is
> zucchini bread. I do add a bit of zucchini to soup if I happen to have it
> around. And when I made lasagna (no more because of the food allergies) I'd
> add it to that. Otherwise my husband and daughter don't really care for it.
> They do like hash browns though. I was wondering if this would work since
> they sort of shred like a potato and they can be deep fried. Then again,
> they might not like the has browns because of the green bits in them. It
> was just a thought. Would be one way of making hash browns less carby. And
> yes, I know I could just try this myself but I was curious to know of anyone
> else has tried it and what the results were. I read somewhere about a
> person who always added carrots to their mashed potatoes. I did try that
> one and can't say that I cared for it.

I don't know about hashbrowns, but I've made "potato" pancakes with
zucchini. I suspect that the zucchini wouldn't hold its shape like
potatoes do in hashbrowns. You can minimize the green bits by peeling
the zucchini (and use the peels in soup).

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-rarchive: yes

Julie Bove wrote:
> Has anyone tried mixing these two? I frequently get zucchini in my organic
> produce box and the only thing that seems to go over well in this house is
> zucchini bread. I do add a bit of zucchini to soup if I happen to have it
> around. And when I made lasagna (no more because of the food allergies) I'd
> add it to that. Otherwise my husband and daughter don't really care for it.
> They do like hash browns though. I was wondering if this would work since
> they sort of shred like a potato and they can be deep fried. Then again,
> they might not like the has browns because of the green bits in them. It
> was just a thought. Would be one way of making hash browns less carby. And
> yes, I know I could just try this myself but I was curious to know of anyone
> else has tried it and what the results were. I read somewhere about a
> person who always added carrots to their mashed potatoes. I did try that
> one and can't say that I cared for it.

Julie, every time I've seen someone post about trying this, they ended
up with a soggy mess due to the water content of the zucchini. OTOH, if
you shred it, then squeeze it in cheesecloth, it works better, by some
reports.

For me, even a smidge of white potato is a big prob, so I haven't tried it.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message

> I don't know about hashbrowns, but I've made "potato" pancakes with
> zucchini. I suspect that the zucchini wouldn't hold its shape like
> potatoes do in hashbrowns. You can minimize the green bits by peeling
> the zucchini (and use the peels in soup).

Hmmm... I've made potatoe pancakes using leftover mashed potato and adding
egg and flour to them. Can't do the egg now because of the food allergies
and since I make mashed potatoes with broth now instead of milk, I'm not
sure this would be good. But perhaps I could do this with some leftover
mashed potatoes and add some zucchini and onion to them. I could add a bit
of rice flour for more body. This might hold together when I cook them.
Now to find some leftover mashed potatoes. Seems like since I've started
making them with broth, there are never any leftovers.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> Julie, every time I've seen someone post about trying this, they ended
> up with a soggy mess due to the water content of the zucchini. OTOH, if
> you shred it, then squeeze it in cheesecloth, it works better, by some
> reports.
>
> For me, even a smidge of white potato is a big prob, so I haven't tried

it.

Oh, I guess it might not work very well then. Oddly, potatoes are one of
the better starchy foods for me but I usually buy the Yukon Gold or the
Klondike Rose.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> OTOH, if you shred it, then squeeze it in cheesecloth, it works better, by some
reports.

You could also try sprinkling it with salt before the cheesecloth
squeeze, to draw more water out of it. I used to do this when making
pickles.

Though with zuchinni, I don't know what would be left with all that
water gone :lol: .

LQ

Sweet potato hash browns? cybercat General Cooking 5 27-02-2010 05:58 AM
HASH BROWNS werwiniskp General Cooking 0 01-04-2009 12:41 PM
Hash Browns Steve Walker General Cooking 16 11-07-2006 08:16 AM
Zucchini Hash Browns Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-06-2005 05:07 PM