Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Johnny Rozzetti revisited

This dish is probably an American staple that is cheap to make and goes by
many different names. They made it frequently in the cafeteria in the store
where I used to work. One difference between theirs and what my mom called
Spaghetti Red was that they added corn. They didn't add any seasonings to
it so it was rather bland and people often asked for cheese on the top.
That cheese would be grated cheddar since it was all that they had. My mom
added chili powder to hers. I used Italian seasonings and a little bit of
chili powder. You might know this dish by the name of goulash (not Hungarian
goulash) or simply Macaroni Beef and Tomatoes. If you have a favorite
recipe but are no longer eating it because of the carbs, simply substitute
some wax (yellow) beans for the pasta. If you are using fresh or frozen
beans, you'll want to cook them before adding to the sauce and meat. You
could also use green beans but they won't look as much like pasta as the wax
beans do. It's every bit as yummy without the pasta.

If you don't have a favorite recipe, simply start with some ground beef or
ground turkey if you prefer. Add whatever red sauce you like, or you can
use tomatoes, whole or chopped, canned or fresh. Add seasonings such as
salt, pepper, parsley, Italian seasonings, chili powder. It's a very
forgiving recipe! I also add chopped onion and sometimes chopped bell
pepper. Add corn if you like, then the beans and heat through. I made mine
tonight in a huge skillet on top of the stove, but you can also bake it in
the microwave or put it in the crockpot after the meat has browned. Top
with any kind of cheese if you wish.

I have never met a person who didn't like this dish and it's one good way to
get kids to eat their veggies!

:barf:

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This dish is probably an American staple that is cheap to make and goes by
> many different names. They made it frequently in the cafeteria in the
> store
> where I used to work. One difference between theirs and what my mom
> called
> Spaghetti Red was that they added corn. They didn't add any seasonings to
> it so it was rather bland and people often asked for cheese on the top.
> That cheese would be grated cheddar since it was all that they had. My
> mom
> added chili powder to hers. I used Italian seasonings and a little bit of
> chili powder. You might know this dish by the name of goulash (not
> Hungarian
> goulash) or simply Macaroni Beef and Tomatoes. If you have a favorite
> recipe but are no longer eating it because of the carbs, simply substitute
> some wax (yellow) beans for the pasta. If you are using fresh or frozen
> beans, you'll want to cook them before adding to the sauce and meat. You
> could also use green beans but they won't look as much like pasta as the
> wax
> beans do. It's every bit as yummy without the pasta.
>
> If you don't have a favorite recipe, simply start with some ground beef or
> ground turkey if you prefer. Add whatever red sauce you like, or you can
> use tomatoes, whole or chopped, canned or fresh. Add seasonings such as
> salt, pepper, parsley, Italian seasonings, chili powder. It's a very
> forgiving recipe! I also add chopped onion and sometimes chopped bell
> pepper. Add corn if you like, then the beans and heat through. I made
> mine
> tonight in a huge skillet on top of the stove, but you can also bake it in
> the microwave or put it in the crockpot after the meat has browned. Top
> with any kind of cheese if you wish.
>
> I have never met a person who didn't like this dish and it's one good way
> get kids to eat their veggies!
>
> :barf:
>
> --
> See my webpage:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

Thanks! I'm going to try this, using beans as you suggested. I used to
love spaghetti, macaroni, and all sorts of pasta -- but I have not eaten any
since being diagnosed T2.

MaryL

Little Johnny on Food Sheldon General Cooking 3 01-07-2008 05:29 PM
R.W. (Johnny) Apple, R.I.P. Vino Wine 3 05-10-2006 07:47 PM
johnny cakes tert in seattle General Cooking 0 19-09-2006 12:54 AM
johnny carino's Sean Berger Restaurants 2 23-07-2005 07:03 PM
HOPIN' johnny Lane Bellamy Recipes 1 02-01-2004 06:56 AM