Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cream Soups?

I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
many carbs for me.

Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.

I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour mixes
so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the blend.

If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
carb version.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Would love your favorite recipe!

Jennifer

Uncle Enrico wrote:

> I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
> broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
> many carbs for me.
>
> Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
> and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.
>
> I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
> most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour mixes
> so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the blend.
>
> If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
> Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
> unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
> quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
> carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
> carb version.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I haven't composed this in a formal way so apologies for the fuzzy
measures.

Clam Chowder:

Ingredients:
10 oz. canned baby clams plus liquid
Low carb unsweetened soy milk...(3/4 of quart, I'd say).
1 zucchini chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
sprig parsley
Pinch of thyme
5 spring onion, sliced
3 Tbsp. soy flour
Chicken or vegetable stock (dry mix, crystals, wet, whatever you prefer)
3 Tbsp. olive oil

Directions:

Lightly brown herbs, spices and vegetables in olive oil. Add a little water
and cover on low heat to soften vegetables for a few minutes. Then add clams
and soymilk and cook on low heat.

When nearly done, mix soy flour in a small bowl with a ladle or two of the
soymilk from the pot and mix. Then combine together and cook slowly until
soup thickens.

Note: I make a broccoli cheese soup that tastes great too.

My post meal numbers are always a nice surprise and very dependable.

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Would love your favorite recipe!
>
> Jennifer
>

> Uncle Enrico wrote:
>
>> I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
>> broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
>> many carbs for me.
>>
>> Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
>> and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.
>>
>> I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
>> most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour
>> mixes so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the
>> blend.
>>
>> If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
>> Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
>> unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
>> quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
>> carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
>> carb version.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

One other thing:
The biggest challenge facing anyone trying this recipe is to find a store
selling soy flour.
I live in a large city and so far, I've only found soy flour at my local
Whole Foods Market. I've tried Trader Joes and Bristol Farms without
success.

You can order soy flour online from: www.arrowheadmills.com

The next challenge is to find the low carb soy milk.

The soy industry needs to get its act together and spread the word among
diabetics about how to use these products to make good food that keeps blood
sugars in the safe zone.

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
. com...
> I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
> broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
> many carbs for me.
>
> Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
> and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.
>
> I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
> most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour mixes
> so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the blend.
>
> If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
> Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
> unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
> quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
> carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
> carb version.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
. com...
> I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
> broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
> many carbs for me.
>
> Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
> and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.
>
> I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
> most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour mixes
> so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the blend.
>
> If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
> Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
> unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
> quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
> carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
> carb version.

I'm glad that works for you, but some of us can't eat soy. To thicken soup,
I use some mashed potato flakes, or if the soup contains something starchy
like potatoes or beans, I'll just use the immersion blender and whip up some
of it.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Can't wait to try... I love clam chowder!

Jennifer

Uncle Enrico wrote:

> I haven't composed this in a formal way so apologies for the fuzzy
> measures.
>
> Clam Chowder:
>
> Ingredients:
> 10 oz. canned baby clams plus liquid
> Low carb unsweetened soy milk...(3/4 of quart, I'd say).
> 1 zucchini chopped
> 2 stalks celery chopped
> sprig parsley
> Pinch of thyme
> 5 spring onion, sliced
> 3 Tbsp. soy flour
> Chicken or vegetable stock (dry mix, crystals, wet, whatever you prefer)
> 3 Tbsp. olive oil
>
> Directions:
>
> Lightly brown herbs, spices and vegetables in olive oil. Add a little water
> and cover on low heat to soften vegetables for a few minutes. Then add clams
> and soymilk and cook on low heat.
>
> When nearly done, mix soy flour in a small bowl with a ladle or two of the
> soymilk from the pot and mix. Then combine together and cook slowly until
> soup thickens.
>

> Note: I make a broccoli cheese soup that tastes great too.
>
> My post meal numbers are always a nice surprise and very dependable.
>

> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>
>>Would love your favorite recipe!
>>
>>Jennifer
>>

>>Uncle Enrico wrote:
>>

>>>I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
>>>broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
>>>many carbs for me.
>>>
>>>Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
>>>and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.
>>>
>>>I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
>>>most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour
>>>mixes so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the
>>>blend.
>>>
>>>If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
>>>Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
>>>unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
>>>quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
>>>carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
>>>carb version.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You can also often find it in Asian markets.

I live near Korea Town in LA and they have it.

Jennifer

Uncle Enrico wrote:

> One other thing:
> The biggest challenge facing anyone trying this recipe is to find a store
> selling soy flour.
> I live in a large city and so far, I've only found soy flour at my local
> Whole Foods Market. I've tried Trader Joes and Bristol Farms without
> success.
>
> You can order soy flour online from: www.arrowheadmills.com
>
> The next challenge is to find the low carb soy milk.
>
> The soy industry needs to get its act together and spread the word among
> diabetics about how to use these products to make good food that keeps blood
> sugars in the safe zone.
>

> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
>>broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
>>many carbs for me.
>>
>>Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
>>and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.
>>
>>I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
>>most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour mixes
>>so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the blend.
>>
>>If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
>>Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
>>unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
>>quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
>>carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
>>carb version.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:20:39 GMT, "Uncle Enrico"
> wrote:

>I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
>broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
>many carbs for me.
>
>Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
>and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.
>
>I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
>most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour mixes
>so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the blend.
>
>If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
>Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
>unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
>quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
>carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
>carb version.

I make my cream soups with a radical, new, low-carb
ingredient.

Cream.

A little goes a long, delicious, way.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for the tip, Jennifer!

Soy flour in Asian markets? I'm thrilled! Do you know what they use it
for??? I've been recommending soy flour to my support group folks but they
can't find it and I'm afraid they'll deplete my one and only source...Whole
Foods in Torrance.

BTW...I was in the mood for a baked, cheese flavored crunchy snack tonight,
so I mixed some soy flour, a copious amount of olive oil, Costco's Mexican
grated cheese blend, plus a little parmesan, some salt and enough egg beater
(egg white) to bind this stuff together.

Not having a working oven yet, I pressed little cookie shapes together and
put these snacks in the toaster oven. I was pleasantly surprised with the
outcome--a crunchy, cheese flavored snack that rose/expanded due to the egg
white. Goldfish they're not... but I'm gonna work on this. I think next
time, I'll use a little more parmesan or go for a sharper chedder. One hour
and 35 minutes later, I get a 95 on my meter and I didn't shoot any insulin
today. I'm chuckling as I type this.

I'm anxious to know how Asian cooks are using soy flour. I'll be checking
my local Asian market where I get that Mogami unsweetened soy milk for 99
cents a quart.

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> You can also often find it in Asian markets.
>
> I live near Korea Town in LA and they have it.
>
> Jennifer
>

> Uncle Enrico wrote:
>
>> One other thing:
>> The biggest challenge facing anyone trying this recipe is to find a store
>> selling soy flour.
>> I live in a large city and so far, I've only found soy flour at my local
>> Whole Foods Market. I've tried Trader Joes and Bristol Farms without
>> success.
>>
>> You can order soy flour online from: www.arrowheadmills.com
>>
>> The next challenge is to find the low carb soy milk.
>>
>> The soy industry needs to get its act together and spread the word among
>> diabetics about how to use these products to make good food that keeps
>> blood sugars in the safe zone.
>>

>> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>
>>>I've always loved canned cream soups (New England clam chowder, Cream of
>>>broccoli, cream of chicken) but when I got diabetes, these soups had too
>>>many carbs for me.
>>>
>>>Recently I've been making cream soups using low carb soy milk as the base
>>>and soy flour as the thickener. Instead of potato, I'm using zucchini.
>>>
>>>I can't say how pleased I am with the flavor, the ease of preparation and
>>>most importantly, the blood glucose profile post meal. The soy flour
>>>mixes so well with the soy milk that fat is not needed to facilitate the
>>>blend.
>>>
>>>If you have trouble finding a low carb unsweetened soy milk, try Trader
>>>Joes, or your local neighborhood Asian market. I've been buying "Mogami"
>>>unsweetened soymilk at a local Asian market in So. Cal. for 98 cents a
>>>quart. It has 3 grams of carb with 1 gram of dietary fiber. Trader Joe's
>>>carries the Westsoy brand, but you'll have to look carefully for the low
>>>carb version.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:20:39 GMT, "Uncle Enrico"
> > wrote:
> I make my cream soups with a radical, new, low-carb
> ingredient.
>
> Cream.
>
> A little goes a long, delicious, way.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 2x500mg

It does my heart good to know you're using cream, Alan. A soup saturated
with it tastes even better! Bon Appetit!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
m...

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:20:39 GMT, "Uncle Enrico"
>> > wrote:
>> I make my cream soups with a radical, new, low-carb
>> ingredient.
>>
>> Cream.
>>
>> A little goes a long, delicious, way.

> It does my heart good to know you're using cream, Alan. A soup saturated
> with it tastes even better! Bon Appetit!

Yes indeed - it nicely carries all the vitamin A and D you've introduced
with your vegetables, helping you to actually absorb them. Tasty and
sensible, and no risk to your thyroid!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Dr. Phil always says you never go wrong with soup...I love cream of
broccoli soup..and cream of chicken..any good receipts??? JOY

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:20:39 GMT, "Uncle Enrico"
>>> I make my cream soups with a radical, new, low-carb
>>> ingredient.
>>>
>>> Cream.
>>>
>>> A little goes a long, delicious, way.

>> It does my heart good to know you're using cream, Alan. A soup saturated
>> with it tastes even better! Bon Appetit!

> Yes indeed - it nicely carries all the vitamin A and D you've introduced
> with your vegetables, helping you to actually absorb them. Tasty and
> sensible, and no risk to your thyroid!
>
> Nicky.

Quaff deeply, thy frothy bovine nectar as we toast the ancients who left us
their thick and hearty, creamy recipes before they too soon departed for
great unknown! My heart pounds in my chest every time I taste one of their
creamy concoctions!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:54:55 -0500, (JH)
wrote:

>Dr. Phil always says you never go wrong with soup...I love cream of
>broccoli soup..and cream of chicken..any good receipts??? JOY

The simplest soup I know.

Cut a pumpkin (Aussie type - read winter squash, like
butternut, up north
http://www.formulaforlife.com.au/asp...010&letter= P
) into moderate sized chunks, peel and roast in a moderately
hot oven until they are soft on the inside and starting to
caramelise on the outside.

Put in a large pot, cover well with chicken stock, add a
couple of teaspoons of grated nutmeg and a grating of black
pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, back off and simmer for
30-40 minutes.

Remove from the heat, blend until smooth with a stick mixer.
If it's too thick, add boiling water to get the right
consistency. I prefer just thick enough to slowly drip off
the spoon - but that's up to you.

When serving, add a large spoonful of full rich cream as a
delicious dollop, swirled near the centre of the bowl.

I usually make it in bulk, storing single serves in the
freezer. The cream isn't added until the soup is hot and
served.

To make it even simpler - don't roast it first, but the
flavour ins't quite as rich.

Bon appetit.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:54:55 -0500, (JH)
> wrote:
>
> When serving, add a large spoonful of full rich cream as a
> delicious dollop, swirled near the centre of the bowl.

With good cardio, one might easily withstand a second dollop for an even
richer soup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I know the joys of whole cream. I used to be a big fan until my lab results
began to be affected.

Anyway, I'm mostly kidding with you guys, Alan. Everytime I post a soy
recipe, some whole cream interloper jumps in.

I did manage to work the words Bypass, Hearty, Heart Pounding, Saturated and
Cardio into the posts so, I'm content for now. It's been fun.

But step on soy one more time and I'll be back.

Arriva cheesie!

"Alan S" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:45:17 GMT, "Uncle Enrico"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Alan S" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:54:55 -0500, (JH)
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When serving, add a large spoonful of full rich cream as a
>>> delicious dollop, swirled near the centre of the bowl.

>>With good cardio, one might easily withstand a second dollop for an even
>>richer soup.
>>

> I have three teaspoons of pure cream in my coffee with every
> mug. Going by my lipids and BGs it's a bloody sight better
> for me than the skim milk I tried a few years back.
>
> I go by results in my own body, not ancient flawed
> "studies". Although I must admit I missed the one that said
> cream would kill me in the amounts I drink.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 2x500mg
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan,
You may be eating soy flour and don't know it.
http://www.allergyny.com/IndividualAllergies.htm

Here's the quote from the link above on pet and food allergies, including
soy:

"Soybean flour is often added to cereal flour and is used extensively in the
baking industry. The majority of breads contain some soy flour. Pastries,
cakes, biscuits, and baby foods may contain soy flour. It is also used in
the manufacture of sausages, processed meats, hamburgers, and other meat
products (Table VI) . Fermented soybean may be used in the preparation of
soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. Fermented soy is in wide use as a food in
the Far East.
Soy is so widely distributed in processed foods that avoidance of soy in the
diet is very difficult. Soy may find its way into a food product when added
as a compound ingredient. For example, if margarine is added to a food
product it will be listed as such, but soy present in the margarine itself
will not be listed on the ingredients panel.

Soy protein isolate or concentrate may be used to emulsify fat in food
products and may thus be used in the manufacture of ice cream, mayonnaise,
and a variety of other liquid fat- or oil-containing foods. The concentrate
or isolate may also be used in soymilk and as a protein concentrate added to
health foods and high-protein biscuits. Other foods that may contain soy
include pureed and cereal baby foods, margarine, and white and brown bread
(Table VI)."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> Unsweetened soy milk in a glass out of the carton does taste bad. But have
> you cooked with it?
>
> Soy flour also has a beany taste until cooked.
>
> Heat changes the flavors.

Not enough for my taste buds either. I will eat tofu, seitan, and tvp,
but unsweetened soy milk is still is gross, not matter what you do with
it. Desserts with soy, like cheese cake, have an off taste to me as
well, much to the displeasure of the vegan restaurant I tried. Then
again, low fat cheeses have a foul taste to me. My mother's idea of
sweet is to me, sickeningly sweet, and her idea of a neutral balance in
sweetness is still too sweet for me. Most oil and vinegar dressings,
even store bought, are too sour for her. Her sense of smell is very
sensitive as well. To each their own.

Soy flour in what they pass off as "low carb" pastas and breads has too
much of a chew and bounce for my tastes as well. I will stick with
creams and if necessary, 2 % or skim evaporated milk.

Dennis (Type 2)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:48:33 GMT, "Uncle Enrico"
> > wrote:

> It's simpler to me. I don't like or dislike soy - I just
> don't use it except as soy sauce. I do like cream. It helps
> my numbers. End of story, no agenda.

Alan's agenda: Doesn't eat soy except soy sauce. Likes whole cream. Posts
his view.

My agenda: Likes soy--avoids whole cream. Posts his view.
End of story.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/300_soy.html

http://health.yahoo.com/ate/drweil/a...06DB4oevb3tMUF

Here is a page of links...check them out and do a "Find" for soy and read
through them if you have an interest.

http://health.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=... ety&x=38&y=8

People say I have an agenda. I do. I've been able to safely enjoy foods made
of soy that have replaced wheat and dairy foods that I cannot safely eat
because of my diabetes. I simply want to share the find.

Apparently there are folks who don't like the taste of soy and I respect
that. But I also suspect, that like me, many have tried some soy products
and just didn't know how to prepare them and walked away from soy
prematurely.

In his book "Diabetes Solution," Dr. Bernstein is quite upbeat on soy
products when it comes to controlling blood sugar. He also recommends whole
cream but I notice he uses the word "OK" to describe its use.

That's the way I feel about whole cream. It's OK. But soy milk in soups is
F-ing fantastics.

That's my agenda in a nutshell.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
. com...
> Susan,
> You may be eating soy flour and don't know it.
> http://www.allergyny.com/IndividualAllergies.htm
>
> Here's the quote from the link above on pet and food allergies, including
> soy:
>
> "Soybean flour is often added to cereal flour and is used extensively in

the
> baking industry. The majority of breads contain some soy flour. Pastries,
> cakes, biscuits, and baby foods may contain soy flour. It is also used in
> the manufacture of sausages, processed meats, hamburgers, and other meat
> products (Table VI) . Fermented soybean may be used in the preparation of
> soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. Fermented soy is in wide use as a food

in
> the Far East.
> Soy is so widely distributed in processed foods that avoidance of soy in

the
> diet is very difficult. Soy may find its way into a food product when

added
> as a compound ingredient. For example, if margarine is added to a food
> product it will be listed as such, but soy present in the margarine itself
> will not be listed on the ingredients panel.
>
> Soy protein isolate or concentrate may be used to emulsify fat in food
> products and may thus be used in the manufacture of ice cream, mayonnaise,
> and a variety of other liquid fat- or oil-containing foods. The

concentrate
> or isolate may also be used in soymilk and as a protein concentrate added

> health foods and high-protein biscuits. Other foods that may contain soy
> include pureed and cereal baby foods, margarine, and white and brown bread
> (Table VI)."

I think those of us who are avoiding soy know well enough to read the
ingredients on labels. Soybean oil is pretty much a given in processed
foods and "vegetable broth" often contains soy. Thankfully they new
labeling laws in this country require the manufacturers to disclose "soy"
now because it is one of the most common allergens.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> I do eat some soy, and I do know it. Fermented soy in miso, which I
> love, tofu, which I eat occasionally, and in some baked goods, as long
> as soy isn't too prominent. I just don't use soy flour, TVP or TSP or
> fake foods made from altered soy.

Have you tried Chickpeas Miso? I just got some but haven't tried it yet.
Supposed to have a mild, sweet flavor.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> No, I haven't, Julie. I love soy miso, and don't seem to have a problem
> with it. I haven't even seen chickpea miso, wonder how it compares,
> tastewise?

I'll report back after I try it. I'm still waiting for the new crown on my
tooth. I've had to go back twice for re-measurements. Still have the temp.
crown on and I was warned not to have hot soup or drinks until I get the
permanent one. I like soy miso too, but am trying to avoid soy. Never
would have known about the chickpea kind until my mom's Dr. told her she
needed to drink it. And then the hunt was on to find it. Couldn't find a
local source so I had to mail order it. I hope it's good because I have
three jars of it.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message
> Sorry about your crown!
>
> I'm curious, why does your mother *need" to drink garbanzo miso?

She doesn't need it any more. She had been sick since Jan. First they told
her it was bronchitis, then maybe pneumonia and finally diagnosed with three
types of strep. Her naturopath was the one who felt she needed the miso.
He often has people fast or eat only certain things until they are better.
I could not tell you why he specified the chickpea kind. What I ended up
doing was using canned chickpeas, then mashing them and boiling them in beef
broth. I then strained. It was not fermented, I know. But at least she
could eat it. She tried some packets of soy Miso from Trader Joes and said
they were horrible. But when I looked at the ingredients I saw that they
contained fish. That could be why. That's not the kind I used to buy. She
has a lot of food allergies and also arthritis. Because of the arthritis
she is to avoid wheat and nightshades. So her diet is pretty limited.

--
See my webpage:

Cream (of) soups Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 146 22-01-2015 11:09 PM
Substitute low-fat or skim milk for the cream in rich dishes likequiche, cream soups dkeroeko General Cooking 12 03-04-2009 02:26 PM
Cream of **** soups [email protected] General Cooking 131 06-10-2007 03:37 AM
Cream Soups? JH Diabetic 1 28-03-2006 05:35 PM
Freezing cream based soups biig General Cooking 8 28-03-2006 04:11 PM