FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Greens & Beans w/ Sausage (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/85143-rec-greens-beans-w.html)

Pete Romfh[_1_] 08-03-2006 04:32 AM

REC: Greens & Beans w/ Sausage

I made this tonight. Very tasty and didn't cause my meter to read TILT!!

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Greens and Beans With Sausage

Delicious, healthy, filling, and diabetic-friendly. A refreshingly welcome
twist on meat and veggies.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Greens
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Sauté, Vegetables, Side Dish, Main Dish,
Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
~~ -- Sausage -- ~~
16 ounces Smoked Sausage ; - in thick slices
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 cups seedless grapes
1/4 cup White wine ; - or water
~~ -- Greens & Beans -- ~~
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 cup Onion ; - diced
3 cloves garlic ; - chopped fine
1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes ; - to taste
1 bunch Collard greens ; - stemmed & rough chopped
1/4 cup Chicken broth
12 ounces Garbanzo beans ; - one cans, drained
2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar ; - to taste

-= Instructions =-
NOTE: Ingredient Flexibility: Almost any type of smoked sausage will work,
Beef, venison, turkey, pork, Italian all seem OK. Greens can be collard,
mustard, turnip, even dandelion or spinach. Try a mixture of whatever you
find fresh at the market. I used garbanzo beans because they were on hand,
but cannellinis, fresh limas, snaps, or even black-eyed peas should work as
well.

The Sausage:
In a large sauté pan brown the sausage in olive oil for 3-5 minutes turning
the slices at least once. When nicely browned add the grapes and wine. Cover
and move to a back burner on medium-low heat.

Get all other ingredients ready to go as things happen quickly in the next
steps.

The Greens:
In another saute pan warm the olive oil then add the onions. Sauté them
until soft then add the garlic and pepper flakes. Cook an additional minutes
until it just starts to lightly brown. DO NOT burn the garlic. Add the
greens and toss with the flavored oil to coat them. Toss lightly for 2-3
minutes until the leaves start to wilt.

The Beans:
Add the beans. If you need a bit of moisture add the broth. Toss lightly and
cover for another 2-3 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK the greens. You'll be tending
two pans at this point so pay attention to each one separately.

While the beans are warming, remove the cover from the sausage pan, turn up
the heat, and give it a quick stir. You'll need to stir frequently as the
liquid from the grapes reduces down to a thin syrup-like consistency. Then
shut off the heat.

By now the greens have gone limp but are still bright green and the beans
are hot throughout. Shut the heat off now or you'll OVERCOOK the greens.

Mix the sausage and reduced grapes in with the beans & greens.

Serve this up in shallow bowls. Garnish with some fresh greens if you wish.
Drizzle balsamic vinegar on the top of each serving.

Makes 6 (1˝ cup) servings, each containing an estimated:
Cals: 421, FatCals: 254, TotFat: 28g
SatFat: 10g, PolyFat: 2g, MonoFat: 15g
Chol: 51mg, Na: 1057mg, K: 416mg
TotCarbs: 23g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 6g
NetCarbs: 19g, Protein: 15g

Nutrition analysis was based on smoked pork sausage & garbanzo beans.
Turkey sausage would reduce some of the fat & salt. Canellini beans are
lower in carbs.
Feel free to substitute as your diet demands.

** Recipe w/ photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160699**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

W. Baker 08-03-2006 09:46 PM

REC: Greens & Beans w/ Sausage

Pete Romfh > wrote:
: I made this tonight. Very tasty and didn't cause my meter to read TILT!!

: -= Exported from BigOven =-

: Greens and Beans With Sausage

: Delicious, healthy, filling, and diabetic-friendly. A refreshingly welcome
: twist on meat and veggies.

: Recipe By: Pete Romfh
: Serving Size: 6
: Cuisine: American
: Main Ingredient: Greens
: Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Saut?, Vegetables, Side Dish, Main Dish,
: Brunch

: -= Ingredients =-
: ~~ -- Sausage -- ~~
: 16 ounces Smoked Sausage ; - in thick slices
: 1 tablespoon Olive oil
: 1 cups seedless grapes
: 1/4 cup White wine ; - or water
: ~~ -- Greens & Beans -- ~~
: 2 tablespoons Olive oil
: 1 cup Onion ; - diced
: 3 cloves garlic ; - chopped fine
: 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes ; - to taste
: 1 bunch Collard greens ; - stemmed & rough chopped
: 1/4 cup Chicken broth
: 12 ounces Garbanzo beans ; - one cans, drained
: 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar ; - to taste

I make a very simple diabetic spaghetti made with whole steamed or
microwaved string bean, a good, and flavorsul tomato sauce, either jarred
or home make , preferablly with muchrooms and several hot Italian sausages
(my buthcher makes them with beef and glatt kosher). I defat teh sausages
by pricking them adn microwavign them for 2-3 minutes to pull the fat out.
Then I wipe them down, slice adn brown briefly in a teflon pan. Mis all
ingredients adn heat together i the microwave and serve. Simpel and
simply delicious A little left over red wine wudl not harm the sauce
either.

Wendy

Gill Murray 08-03-2006 11:12 PM

REC: Greens & Beans w/ Sausage

W. Baker wrote:
> Pete Romfh > wrote:
> : I made this tonight. Very tasty and didn't cause my meter to read TILT!!
>
> : -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> : Greens and Beans With Sausage
>
> : Delicious, healthy, filling, and diabetic-friendly. A refreshingly welcome
> : twist on meat and veggies.
>
> : Recipe By: Pete Romfh
> : Serving Size: 6
> : Cuisine: American
> : Main Ingredient: Greens
> : Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Saut?, Vegetables, Side Dish, Main Dish,
> : Brunch
>
> : -= Ingredients =-
> : ~~ -- Sausage -- ~~
> : 16 ounces Smoked Sausage ; - in thick slices
> : 1 tablespoon Olive oil
> : 1 cups seedless grapes
> : 1/4 cup White wine ; - or water
> : ~~ -- Greens & Beans -- ~~
> : 2 tablespoons Olive oil
> : 1 cup Onion ; - diced
> : 3 cloves garlic ; - chopped fine
> : 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes ; - to taste
> : 1 bunch Collard greens ; - stemmed & rough chopped
> : 1/4 cup Chicken broth
> : 12 ounces Garbanzo beans ; - one cans, drained
> : 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar ; - to taste
>
> I make a very simple diabetic spaghetti made with whole steamed or
> microwaved string bean, a good, and flavorsul tomato sauce, either jarred
> or home make , preferablly with muchrooms and several hot Italian sausages
> (my buthcher makes them with beef and glatt kosher). I defat teh sausages
> by pricking them adn microwavign them for 2-3 minutes to pull the fat out.
> Then I wipe them down, slice adn brown briefly in a teflon pan. Mis all
> ingredients adn heat together i the microwave and serve. Simpel and
> simply delicious A little left over red wine wudl not harm the sauce
> either.
>
> Wendy

Wendy,

That looks like a good idea. Hubby is supposedly on "No carbs" until his
next visit. This is a workable idea; I will try it when I get back from
mt trip to Japan tomorrow.

I hope I am not insulting you, but I really did giggle! I think you,
like me, type away, and our fingers get tangled, and letters are
switched over. it *did* look as if the left-over red wine ( we love it
too) might have been in your glass, rather than the spaghetti! LOLOL

Gillian
A diabetic's "head cook and bottle washer"!

W. Baker 09-03-2006 06:02 PM

REC: Greens & Beans w/ Sausage

Gill Murray > wrote:

: W. Baker wrote:
: > Pete Romfh > wrote:
: > : I made this tonight. Very tasty and didn't cause my meter to read TILT!!
: >
: > : -= Exported from BigOven =-
: >
[...]

It's a combination of being a por typist, visually handicaped and unable
to figure out how to use my spell checker for newsgroups. It makes for
interestign and, often , a bit puzling reading I know, but I figure I will
say it as best I can since I woudl hate to have you all miss my pearls of
wisdom:-)

Wendy

Janet Wilder[_1_] 10-03-2006 04:16 PM

REC: Greens & Beans w/ Sausage

Gill Murray wrote:

> W. Baker wrote:
>
>> Pete Romfh > wrote:
>> : I made this tonight. Very tasty and didn't cause my meter to read
>> TILT!!
>>
>> : -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> : Greens and Beans With Sausage
>>
>> : Delicious, healthy, filling, and diabetic-friendly. A refreshingly
>> welcome
>> : twist on meat and veggies.
>>
>> : Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>> : Serving Size: 6
>> : Cuisine: American
>> : Main Ingredient: Greens
>> : Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Saut?, Vegetables, Side Dish, Main
>> Dish,
>> : Brunch
>>
>> : -= Ingredients =-
>> : ~~ -- Sausage -- ~~
>> : 16 ounces Smoked Sausage ; - in thick slices
>> : 1 tablespoon Olive oil
>> : 1 cups seedless grapes
>> : 1/4 cup White wine ; - or water
>> : ~~ -- Greens & Beans -- ~~
>> : 2 tablespoons Olive oil
>> : 1 cup Onion ; - diced
>> : 3 cloves garlic ; - chopped fine
>> : 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes ; - to taste
>> : 1 bunch Collard greens ; - stemmed & rough chopped
>> : 1/4 cup Chicken broth
>> : 12 ounces Garbanzo beans ; - one cans, drained
>> : 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar ; - to taste
>>
>> I make a very simple diabetic spaghetti made with whole steamed or
>> microwaved string bean, a good, and flavorsul tomato sauce, either
>> jarred or home make , preferablly with muchrooms and several hot
>> Italian sausages (my buthcher makes them with beef and glatt kosher).
>> I defat teh sausages by pricking them adn microwavign them for 2-3
>> minutes to pull the fat out. Then I wipe them down, slice adn brown
>> briefly in a teflon pan. Mis all ingredients adn heat together i the
>> microwave and serve. Simpel and simply delicious A little left over
>> red wine wudl not harm the sauce either.
>> Wendy

> Wendy,
>
> That looks like a good idea. Hubby is supposedly on "No carbs" until his
> next visit. This is a workable idea; I will try it when I get back from
> mt trip to Japan tomorrow.
>
> I hope I am not insulting you, but I really did giggle! I think you,
> like me, type away, and our fingers get tangled, and letters are
> switched over. it *did* look as if the left-over red wine ( we love it
> too) might have been in your glass, rather than the spaghetti! LOLOL
>
> Gillian
> A diabetic's "head cook and bottle washer"!

grapes and garbanzo beans have carbs.

Janet, caregiver to a long-time T2, now on insulin.

--
Janet Wilder

JH[_1_] 21-03-2006 12:28 PM

REC: Greens & Beans w/ Sausage

WOW sounds great...that's a keeper...JOY