FoodBanter.com

-   -   Shio-zuke (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/84988-shio-zuke.html)

Andrea2[_1_] 06-03-2006 08:27 AM

Shio-zuke

Shio-Zuke (salt-pickles)

Shio-zuke can be make from several different vegetables. They make
great low-carb snacks. They are ready to eat in about 10 hours.

My favorites are Napa cabbage, eggplant, daikon and cucumber. The
procedure is simple, but is made easier with a plastic pickle press.
They can be made without the press in a bowl or tub with a heavy
weight.

This site gives detailed instructions (better than I could):
http://www.theblackmoon.com/Jfood/ftsuke.html

When I was diet/exercise controlled I kept them on hand at all times
for snacks. If you want variety, you can add things like hot peppers,
onion slices, green onions or garlic. Soy sauce and a sprinkle of red
pepper can be added just before eating.

Andrea2
Type 2