Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Gigot Lamb Champvalon

Simple, smooth and delishusss! (But relatively expensive)
Can only really, be made with Lamb but much richer tasting with a good
Mutton.
Traditionally made with sliced potatoes, but here's a twist...
and it's lo-carb too.

Ask your Butcher, for Two Gigot (Leg) Chops with the bone left in, from
ABOVE the knee-joint, preferably about the half-way point between the knee
and the thigh-end.
Simply season them lightly by smearing them on both sides with a coat of
ordinary vegetable oil that's had Mignonette (Cracked) black pepper, a tad
of salt and a fat Garlic clove crushed through it. Leave twenty minutes.

In a Sauteuse (Deep Frypan that can go into the oven) that's HOT and no oil
in it, put the Gigot chops to both seal and add a good rich caramel colour.
Momentarily remove the chops and keep warm.
In the bottom of the pan, put a sliced onion and allow it to soften a bit,
then pour in a half pound of roughly chopped tomatoes, skin, seeds, pips and
all. (or a can of chopped ones) and don't worry about any "Black" bits. It's
all flavour.
At this point, you might also add some blanched Broad Beans, a few tiny
mushrooms and to thicken the affair, a small-ish amount of quite finely
chopped (but preferably grated) Aubergine (Egg-Plant)
Put the chops on top, just cover with a plain water, add in a couple or
three of Bay Leaves, a good sprig of Rosemary and then seal over with
greaseproof paper that's been pierced through on top and pop in a slow oven
for 45 minutes. (allow a longer cooking time if using Mutton)
Remove the Paper, smear on a topping of lightly cooked crumbled cauliflower
mixed with a little cream, a hefty grinding of pepper and perhaps a smidjin
of grated cheddar type cheese,or just on it's own. Dot with Butter - or
sprinkle on a little melted butter and return the pan to the oven for a
further 20 minutes at a moderately-hot heat setting or until the top is
golden and the sides well bubbly.
Dab the top with Kitchen paper to lift away all the excess fats and oils,
then sprinkle liberally with roughly chopped Parsley.
Plate it up, with a garnishing vegetable side order of sliced and LIGHTLY
sautéed Brussels Sprouts tossed at the end of cooking with the tiniest
amount of either Mint Jelly or Mint Sauce - just enough to HINT at Mint, but
not enough to overpower the flavour of the Sprouts.
A Glass or two of a nice Cotes du Rhone will enhance the experience.
An alternative wine, would be a young-vatted Hungarian Merlot.
For kids and Tee-totals, try Ribena no-added sugar, over Ice in a
Freezer-Chilled Manhattan Glass.
GORRJUSS!
(And remember to suck the Marrow out of the Bone!)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got any
good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:04:34 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got any
>good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

We've made this twice and we both love it. The sauce is to die for. I
think the shanks are the tastiest part of the lamb.

Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks

3 pounds lamb shanks
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
* 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
* 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

DIRECTIONS:

1. Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large
pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks until well
browned on all sides, 8-10 minutes. Transfer shanks to plate.
2. Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute until golden
brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and
beef broth. Season with rosemary and thyme. Return shanks to pot,
pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
Cover, and simmer until meat is very tender, 2-3 hours. Turn shanks
occasionally.
3. Remove cover from pot. Simmer about 20 minutes longer. Transfer
shanks to platter, place in a warm oven. Boil juices in pot until
thickened, about 15 minutes.
4. I like to remove most of the fat with a gravy and Fat Separator
before thickening the sauce. We eat it with brown rice, spoon sauce
over shanks and rice.

Andrea2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:04:34 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got any
>good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

I reckon that recipe could work with shanks - just bury them
a little into the other ingredients before adding the water,
and cook low and longer. It should also work with cheap
forequarter chops, but trim the fat well.

Thanks See Hear - I'll try it but I'll have a nice Shiraz
instead of the Cote Du Rhone:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got any
: good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

I have made lamb shanks kin d of like leg of lamb, which I don't eat for
religious reason. I put in slivers of garlic, and frup with freshly
ground peper and salt, if you like. I slice some onions thinly adn
surround the shanks with this. If you do this the day before you cook it,
al the better. To cook, cightly coat with olive oil adn roast in a hot
oven until done to your choice. If you want a gravy or sauce, just add
liquid to the pan, scraping up al the bits and flavor with soem shicken
buillion cubes or powder to taste. You can use water, stock or wine as
your liquid.

Alternate method- use soy sauce in place of salt and add some chopped
carrots, onions, peppers, garlicetc to the pan with a little wine adn then
roast in the hot oven. this latter is based on an old Julia Child recipe
for leg of lamb. I also use this method to make a delcious turkey breast,
removing the skin and covering the breast with the chopped vegetables,
kind of like a new skin. I serve it witht he chopped vegetables tht are
in the pan as the base of a simple gravy, as described abouve.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andrea2 wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:04:34 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>>The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got

any
>>good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

> We've made this twice and we both love it. The sauce is to

die for. I
> think the shanks are the tastiest part of the lamb.
>
> Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
>
> 3 pounds lamb shanks
> salt and pepper to taste
> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> 2 onions, chopped
> 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
> 10 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
> 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
> 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
> 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
> * 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
> * 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
>
> DIRECTIONS:
>
> 1. Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in

heavy large
> pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks

until well
> browned on all sides, 8-10 minutes. Transfer shanks to

plate.
> 2. Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute

until golden
> brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken

broth and
> beef broth. Season with rosemary and thyme. Return shanks

to pot,
> pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, then reduce

heat to low.
> Cover, and simmer until meat is very tender, 2-3 hours.

Turn shanks
> occasionally.
> 3. Remove cover from pot. Simmer about 20 minutes

longer. Transfer
> shanks to platter, place in a warm oven. Boil juices in

pot until
> thickened, about 15 minutes.
> 4. I like to remove most of the fat with a gravy and Fat

Separator
> before thickening the sauce. We eat it with brown rice,

spoon sauce
> over shanks and rice.

That sounds delicious. I can get pre-cooked shanks in a
sauce in a plastic bag for nearly $10. They don't take the
fat off but it goes hard in rather larger pieces so it is
easy dispose of the fat before re-heating. I really like
them but the cost is prohibitive for the pre-cooked meal.
Thanks for the recipe. I made curried sausages last night
and put in a big slurp of sherry. I also have 2 x 375 ml
bottles of red wine in the pantry already, ditto canned
tomatoes and strangely, also chicken soup - lol. I'd
basically only be up for the lamb shanks right now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:04:34 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>>The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got

any
>>good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

> I reckon that recipe could work with shanks - just bury

them
> a little into the other ingredients before adding the

water,
> and cook low and longer. It should also work with cheap
> forequarter chops, but trim the fat well.
>
> Thanks See Hear - I'll try it but I'll have a nice Shiraz
> instead of the Cote Du Rhone:-)

Yes it would - I would use shanks in probably almost any
lamb recipe. The 2 bottles of red wine I have are Shiraz but
I don't really like red wine so I would put them in Andrea's
shank recipe

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>: The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got

any
>: good tasty low-carb shank recipes?
>
> I have made lamb shanks kin d of like leg of lamb, which I

don't eat
> for religious reason. I put in slivers of garlic, and

frup with
> freshly ground peper and salt, if you like.

I also like to put fresh rosemary in the slits with the
garlic. Is frup a typo? If not, what does it mean?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:42:36 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>> 4. I like to remove most of the fat with a gravy and Fat

>Separator
>> before thickening the sauce. We eat it with brown rice,

>spoon sauce
>> over shanks and rice.

>That sounds delicious. I can get pre-cooked shanks in a
>sauce in a plastic bag for nearly $10. They don't take the
>fat off but it goes hard in rather larger pieces so it is
>easy dispose of the fat before re-heating. I really like
>them but the cost is prohibitive for the pre-cooked meal.
>Thanks for the recipe. I made curried sausages last night
>and put in a big slurp of sherry. I also have 2 x 375 ml
>bottles of red wine in the pantry already, ditto canned
>tomatoes and strangely, also chicken soup - lol. I'd
>basically only be up for the lamb shanks right now.

Reading/posting about the lamb shanks gave me a craving for them. I
went out to 3 different markets this morning but couldn't find any.
I'll have to put my craving on hold until they are available. I did
pick up some nice lamb chops.

Andrea2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:42:36 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>That sounds delicious. I can get pre-cooked shanks in a
>sauce in a plastic bag for nearly $10. They don't take the
>fat off but it goes hard in rather larger pieces so it is
>easy dispose of the fat before re-heating. I really like
>them but the cost is prohibitive for the pre-cooked meal.
>Thanks for the recipe. I made curried sausages last night
>and put in a big slurp of sherry. I also have 2 x 375 ml
>bottles of red wine in the pantry already, ditto canned
>tomatoes and strangely, also chicken soup - lol. I'd
>basically only be up for the lamb shanks right now.

For the bottle of wine, I'm not one of those who wastes
expensive wines on cooking. I prefer to drink that and use
cask wine for the pot. You can save with this one by buying
a 4ltr cask of Stanley Shiraz or Cab-Sauv for $10-12. That
works out to a little over $2 for the recipe. Actually, it's
not a bad drinking drop for cheap plonk.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:55:08 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>I have made lamb shanks kin d of like leg of lamb, which I don't eat for
>religious reason.

Hi Wendy

Not critical, just puzzled. What's the difference, in
religious terms, between the leg and the shank? Same animal,
same area.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:42:36 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>>That sounds delicious. I can get pre-cooked shanks in a
>>sauce in a plastic bag for nearly $10. They don't take the
>>fat off but it goes hard in rather larger pieces so it is
>>easy dispose of the fat before re-heating. I really like
>>them but the cost is prohibitive for the pre-cooked meal.
>>Thanks for the recipe. I made curried sausages last night
>>and put in a big slurp of sherry. I also have 2 x 375 ml
>>bottles of red wine in the pantry already, ditto canned
>>tomatoes and strangely, also chicken soup - lol. I'd
>>basically only be up for the lamb shanks right now.

> For the bottle of wine, I'm not one of those who wastes
> expensive wines on cooking. I prefer to drink that and use
> cask wine for the pot. You can save with this one by

buying
> a 4ltr cask of Stanley Shiraz or Cab-Sauv for $10-12. That
> works out to a little over $2 for the recipe. Actually,

it's
> not a bad drinking drop for cheap plonk.

Lol, cheap? You are talking to the 2 buck chuck queen.
Spumante is about the only cheap and nasty I won't drink.
The stuff in my pantry is Jacob's Creek, my daughter bought
it for me, not sure why.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Opton File Crypter. To keep your private files private

Hi,

What actually worries me about this kind of spam is - who the hell decides what to post to which NGs?

I may be wrong but diabetic foodies don't seem to be more naturally secretive than others!

But this group *has* been targeted for this spam whereas others I read haven't - despite some being computer groups.

No need for anyone to reply - but thanks for reading.

Take care,
Phil.

"Time wounds all heels."

http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
http://www.aypee.me.uk/index.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andrea2 wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:04:34 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>

>>The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got any
>>good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

> We've made this twice and we both love it. The sauce is to die for. I
> think the shanks are the tastiest part of the lamb.
>
> Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks

snip great recipe

Thanks, Andrea. I got some lamb shanks today. I adore lamb but we rarely
have it because it's so expensive.

This will be our Saturday night feast, with cauliflower "rice".

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Vicki Beausoleil" > wrote in
message . ..
> Andrea2 wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:04:34 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got

any
> >>good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

> > We've made this twice and we both love it. The sauce is

to die for. I
> > think the shanks are the tastiest part of the lamb.
> >
> > Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
> >

> snip great recipe
>
> Thanks, Andrea. I got some lamb shanks today. I adore lamb

but we rarely
> have it because it's so expensive.

Same here, which stinks, considering lamb is so plentiful!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:46:21 -0500, Vicki Beausoleil
> wrote:

>Andrea2 wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:04:34 GMT, "Ozgirl"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>The only lamb I can afford these days is the shank - got any
>>>good tasty low-carb shank recipes?

>> We've made this twice and we both love it. The sauce is to die for.

>> think the shanks are the tastiest part of the lamb.
>>
>> Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
>>

>snip great recipe
>
>Thanks, Andrea. I got some lamb shanks today. I adore lamb but we

rarely
>have it because it's so expensive.
>
>This will be our Saturday night feast, with cauliflower "rice".
>
>Vicki

Alright, now I'm really jealous. I've been craving lamb shanks since
this thread started but have looked all over and they don't have any.
Can it be they are out of season?

Andrea2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andrea2 wrote:

> Alright, now I'm really jealous. I've been craving lamb shanks since
> this thread started but have looked all over and they don't have any.
> Can it be they are out of season?
>
> Andrea2

If you get local fresh lamb it probably is. I got NZ lamb shanks, so
they've been frozen from a few minutes after they were bleating.

Hope you find them. When I showed hubby the recipe last night he was
drooling over the keyboard.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This also works with Lamb Shanks, But I find in Glasgow UK, they are MORE
expensive than using whole Lamb Leg - and because of the Bone, we are paying
for BONE rather than real MEAT !!!
Just a Morrisons / UK pricing policy, which is why I specified Leg Chops.
(It worked out cheaper)

"See Hear" > wrote in message
> Simple, smooth and delishusss! (But relatively expensive)
> Can only really, be made with Lamb but much richer tasting with a good
> Mutton.
> Traditionally made with sliced potatoes, but here's a twist...
> and it's lo-carb too.
>
> Ask your Butcher, for Two Gigot (Leg) Chops with the bone left in, from
> ABOVE the knee-joint, preferably about the half-way point between the knee
> and the thigh-end.
> Simply season them lightly by smearing them on both sides with a coat of
> ordinary vegetable oil that's had Mignonette (Cracked) black pepper, a tad
> of salt and a fat Garlic clove crushed through it. Leave twenty minutes.
>
> In a Sauteuse (Deep Frypan that can go into the oven) that's HOT and no
> oil in it, put the Gigot chops to both seal and add a good rich caramel
> colour.
> Momentarily remove the chops and keep warm.
> In the bottom of the pan, put a sliced onion and allow it to soften a bit,
> then pour in a half pound of roughly chopped tomatoes, skin, seeds, pips
> and all. (or a can of chopped ones) and don't worry about any "Black"
> bits. It's all flavour.
> At this point, you might also add some blanched Broad Beans, a few tiny
> mushrooms and to thicken the affair, a small-ish amount of quite finely
> chopped (but preferably grated) Aubergine (Egg-Plant)
> Put the chops on top, just cover with a plain water, add in a couple or
> three of Bay Leaves, a good sprig of Rosemary and then seal over with
> greaseproof paper that's been pierced through on top and pop in a slow
> oven for 45 minutes. (allow a longer cooking time if using Mutton)
> Remove the Paper, smear on a topping of lightly cooked crumbled
> cauliflower mixed with a little cream, a hefty grinding of pepper and
> perhaps a smidjin of grated cheddar type cheese,or just on it's own. Dot
> with Butter - or sprinkle on a little melted butter and return the pan to
> the oven for a further 20 minutes at a moderately-hot heat setting or
> until the top is golden and the sides well bubbly.
> Dab the top with Kitchen paper to lift away all the excess fats and oils,
> then sprinkle liberally with roughly chopped Parsley.
> Plate it up, with a garnishing vegetable side order of sliced and LIGHTLY
> sautéed Brussels Sprouts tossed at the end of cooking with the tiniest
> amount of either Mint Jelly or Mint Sauce - just enough to HINT at Mint,
> but not enough to overpower the flavour of the Sprouts.
> A Glass or two of a nice Cotes du Rhone will enhance the experience.
> An alternative wine, would be a young-vatted Hungarian Merlot.
> For kids and Tee-totals, try Ribena no-added sugar, over Ice in a
> Freezer-Chilled Manhattan Glass.
> GORRJUSS!
> (And remember to suck the Marrow out of the Bone!)

rec: Lamb Slices in Madeira (leftover lamb) Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 14-04-2009 12:43 PM
leg of lamb elaine General Cooking 9 06-04-2007 07:53 AM
Gigot D'agneau Boneless Leg Of Lamb 7Hawks Recipes 0 07-11-2004 03:51 AM