FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Bell Pepper Relish (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/83605-rec-bell-pepper-relish.html)

Andrea2[_1_] 20-02-2006 12:37 AM

REC: Bell Pepper Relish

Bell Pepper Relish

1/2 each, green, red and orange bell pepper (I like the colors)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
1 jalapeņo pepper (or to taste - optional)

Wash, clean and coarsely chop peppers. Put peppers, garlic and salt in
food processor. Process in short bursts, scraping down the sides
frequently. Taste, add more salt if needed. I like it a little chunky.
Best fresh but can be refrigerated for a day or so.

Can be used as a relish with meat, eggs. Goes great with whole wheat
pita bread with your favorite meat or scrambled eggs. Also good in an
omelets with cheese (I like goat cheese).

Carbs: about 35 carbs for the whole recipe

Julie Bove[_1_] 20-02-2006 09:51 AM

Bell Pepper Relish

"Andrea2" > wrote in message
> Bell Pepper Relish
>
> 1/2 each, green, red and orange bell pepper (I like the colors)
> 1 clove garlic, chopped
> 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
> 1 jalapeņo pepper (or to taste - optional)
>
> Wash, clean and coarsely chop peppers. Put peppers, garlic and salt in
> food processor. Process in short bursts, scraping down the sides
> frequently. Taste, add more salt if needed. I like it a little chunky.
> Best fresh but can be refrigerated for a day or so.
>
> Can be used as a relish with meat, eggs. Goes great with whole wheat
> pita bread with your favorite meat or scrambled eggs. Also good in an
> omelets with cheese (I like goat cheese).
>
> Carbs: about 35 carbs for the whole recipe'

Oh yum! This sounds good! I've been looking for recipes with hot peppers
in them that don't contain cheese, since I now know I have a dairy allergy.
I'll bet this would be good with onions, cilantro, tomatillos and tomatoes
in it too. Maybe even some beans and corn.

--
See my webpage:

W. Baker 20-02-2006 06:07 PM

REC: Bell Pepper Relish

Andrea2 > wrote:
: Bell Pepper Relish

: 1/2 each, green, red and orange bell pepper (I like the colors)
: 1 clove garlic, chopped
: 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
: 1 jalape?o pepper (or to taste - optional)

: Wash, clean and coarsely chop peppers. Put peppers, garlic and salt in
: food processor. Process in short bursts, scraping down the sides
: frequently. Taste, add more salt if needed. I like it a little chunky.
: Best fresh but can be refrigerated for a day or so.

: Can be used as a relish with meat, eggs. Goes great with whole wheat
: pita bread with your favorite meat or scrambled eggs. Also good in an
: omelets with cheese (I like goat cheese).

: Carbs: about 35 carbs for the whole recipe

This looks like it wudl be super with some fresh cilantro leaves cooped in
or just put on top. I must try it.

Wendy

Vicki Beausoleil 20-02-2006 07:50 PM

REC: Bell Pepper Relish

Andrea2 wrote:
> Bell Pepper Relish
>
> 1/2 each, green, red and orange bell pepper (I like the colors)
> 1 clove garlic, chopped
> 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
> 1 jalapeņo pepper (or to taste - optional)
>
> Wash, clean and coarsely chop peppers. Put peppers, garlic and salt in
> food processor. Process in short bursts, scraping down the sides
> frequently. Taste, add more salt if needed. I like it a little chunky.
> Best fresh but can be refrigerated for a day or so.
>
> Can be used as a relish with meat, eggs. Goes great with whole wheat
> pita bread with your favorite meat or scrambled eggs. Also good in an
> omelets with cheese (I like goat cheese).
>
> Carbs: about 35 carbs for the whole recipe

MasterCook gives me 112 Cal, 26.5g carbohydrate, 4.2g fiber and 4.3g
protein for the whole recipe using a whole pepper of each colour
(calculated with yellow instead of orange pepper 'cause it's not in the
ingredient database).

Personally, I'd toss in a couple tablespoons EVOO for extra flavour and
smoothness, but that jacks up the calorie count to 351 Cal.

I often do similar, but replace the jalapeno with fresh herbs. Fantastic
on anything. I skip the salt and add several gratings of black pepper
and some hard cheese, like Parmesano Reggiano or Romano if I'm in the mood.

Vicki

Andrea2[_1_] 20-02-2006 09:29 PM

REC: Bell Pepper Relish

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:50:08 -0500, Vicki Beausoleil
> wrote:

>Andrea2 wrote:
>> Bell Pepper Relish
>>
>> 1/2 each, green, red and orange bell pepper (I like the colors)
>> 1 clove garlic, chopped
>> 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
>> 1 jalapeņo pepper (or to taste - optional)
>>
>> Wash, clean and coarsely chop peppers. Put peppers, garlic and salt in
>> food processor. Process in short bursts, scraping down the sides
>> frequently. Taste, add more salt if needed. I like it a little chunky.
>> Best fresh but can be refrigerated for a day or so.
>>
>> Can be used as a relish with meat, eggs. Goes great with whole wheat
>> pita bread with your favorite meat or scrambled eggs. Also good in an
>> omelets with cheese (I like goat cheese).
>>
>> Carbs: about 35 carbs for the whole recipe

>MasterCook gives me 112 Cal, 26.5g carbohydrate, 4.2g fiber and 4.3g
>protein for the whole recipe using a whole pepper of each colour
>(calculated with yellow instead of orange pepper 'cause it's not in the
>ingredient database).
>
>Personally, I'd toss in a couple tablespoons EVOO for extra flavour and
>smoothness, but that jacks up the calorie count to 351 Cal.
>
>I often do similar, but replace the jalapeno with fresh herbs. Fantastic
>on anything. I skip the salt and add several gratings of black pepper
>and some hard cheese, like Parmesano Reggiano or Romano if I'm in the mood.
>
>Vicki

It was originally an Ethiopian recipe made with green bell peppers.
http://www.recipezaar.com/141370 and
http://www.recipezaar.com/r/q=ethiopian

I decided to add some color and add red peppers, and orange peppers
because of they are so high in zeaxanthin. I don't like the jalapeno
in mine, I enjoy the sweet pepper taste. I make 2 batches, one with
jalapeno and one without.

Andrea2