FoodBanter.com

-   -   Leek and Goat Cheese Quiche (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/83514-leek-goat-cheese-quiche.html)

DLynch[_1_] 19-02-2006 04:52 AM

Leek and Goat Cheese Quiche

Same goes for this recipe. Eliminate the pie shell for low carb. Use oil
spray on pan, and change to low, no fat for cheese, milk, etc. if you
prefer. You can also divide to reduce the servings. From America's Test
Kitchens.

The center of the quiche will be surprisingly soft when it comes out of the
oven, but the filling will continue to set (and sink somewhat) as it cools.
If the pie shell has been previously baked and cooled, place it in the
preheating oven for about five minutes to warm it, taking care that it does
not burn. Because ingredients in the variations that follow are bulkier, the
amount of custard mixture has been reduced to prevent overflowing the crust.
Be sure to wash the leeks thoroughly to remove any grit.

Serves 8
2 medium leeks , washed thoroughly and cut into 1/2-inch dice
(about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
pinch fresh grated nutmeg
4 ounces mild goat cheese broken into 1/2-inch pieces
1 9- inch partially baked pie shell (warm), baked until light
golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes, see related recipe

1. Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
Sauté white parts leeks in butter over medium heat until soft, 5-7 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk all remaining ingredients except goat cheese in medium
bowl.

2. Spread goat cheese and leeks evenly over bottom of warm pie shell
and set shell on oven rack. Pour in custard mixture to 1/2-inch below crust
rim. Bake until lightly golden brown and a knife blade inserted about one
inch from the edge comes out clean, and center feels set but soft like
gelatin, 32 to 35 minutes. Transfer quiche to rack to cool. Serve warm or at
room temperature.

Priscilla Ballou 19-02-2006 02:57 PM

Quiche custard ratio was Leek and Goat Cheese Quiche

In article >,
"DLynch" > wrote:

> 2 large eggs
> 2 large egg yolks
> 3/4 cup whole milk
> 3/4 cup heavy cream

From these recipes it looks like I have my eggs:cream ratio backwards.
Oh, well. I was going by middle-aged memory of a recipe cooked by the
seat of my pants. (I knew I should have worn an apron!)

Happy cooking!

Priscilla