FoodBanter.com

-   -   Finding items to drink ? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/83405-finding-items-drink.html)

Al Hill 18-02-2006 01:27 AM

Finding items to drink ?

Where can I find a list of Liquor & wines that don't have alot of
sugar ? Sangria has 6% sugar.

Jennifer[_1_] 18-02-2006 01:45 AM

Finding items to drink ?

Most plain wines and liquors have very little carbohydrate.

Sangria isn't simply a wine. It's wine mixed with fruit juices. It's
the fruit juices that add the sugar.

Jennifer

scott123 18-02-2006 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Hill
Where can I find a list of Liquor & wines that don't have alot of
sugar ? Sangria has 6% sugar.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art580.asp

The numbers here for wine are just a ballpark. Dry wines are preferable. One thing that I've noticed is that, for the most part, California wines (especially Merlot and Chardonnay) tend to have more sugar/be a lot less drier than European wines. There are exceptions to the rule, but I'd say if you're shopping for wine and don't know what to get, a European choice will be a safer bet. And, if this article is correct, whites have considerably less residual sugar than reds. If you have a penchant for sweeter wines, you might want to try adding a little artificial sweetener to dry wines.

Sangria, btw, doesn't have to be 6% sugar. Although there is commercial sangria available, my guess is that something like 95% of the Sangria consumed is homemade. Instead of adding sugar to the mix (which is traditionally done), add splenda, and instead of adding high sugar fruits like citrus and melons, add low sugar fruits like strawberries and raspberries. Brandy, a traditional ingredient has zero sugar. Combine that with some dry wine and you're good to go.

Alan S[_1_] 19-02-2006 02:00 AM

Finding items to drink ?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:27:34 -0800,
(Al Hill) wrote:

> Where can I find a list of Liquor & wines that don't have alot of
>sugar ? Sangria has 6% sugar.

In my, and my meter's, experience dry red wines from
Australia, NZ, S Africa and Europe are sugar-free and
carb-free. I've only tried Zinfandels and Syrahs in the USA
- and had no problems with them.

"Dry" in this case is a term of sweetness, not wetness.

White wines, particularly fruity wines such as Sauternes,
Frontignacs etc, can have a significant sugar content.

Fortified wines, such as sherry, madeira or port, can have a
very high sugar content.

Partly as a result of that my preferred drinks are dry red
wines. Shiraz (Syrah), Merlot, Grenache, Durif,
Cabernet-Sauvignon, Malbec, Petit verdot, Zinfandel, or the
many variants from Europe and south of the Equator will have
little effect on your BGs - and add resveratrols and other
good things to your system.

In moderation.

Sipping as I type on a Jacob's Creek Reserve Cabernet
Sauvignon 2002:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg